Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 04:00 AM

Re: Make your own laundry soap?

Grey water is water that has been used either from your shower, washing machine, kitchen sink etc and contains contaminates from the soap or detergents - hence to need to be careful about what you use.

Not the same as storm water collected off your roof which of course in many places is used as drinking water. I have 5000 litre water tanks too which are used to collect rain water, eventually I will connect them up so I am not using drinking water to flush the toilet (which is quite a stupid use of good water when you think about it) but at the moment they are used to water the garden only.

Unlike the UK no one puts rain water into the sewers (infact it is illegal) Storm water is a separate system which end up in the ocean or rivers. During the drought it is a matter of much angst that this fresh water is being wasted when it could be diverted and used as non potable water (ie not drinking water) or even refined to drinking water.

Again unlike Europe the 'yuck' factor has prevented even tertiary treated sewage water being used for anything other than a few industrial purposes even though the solids are used for fertiliser.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 04:18 AM

When I worked at Boots The Chemist in the late 40s we used Liquid soap to wash our hair with as it was pure but not sure if you can buy it now.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me Bruce, you know what they say, if you dont ask you'll never know.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 04:40 PM

It is a good idea if you've got the inclination to do it. I'm afraid if I did ever do it I'd be laughing all the time thinking I was turning into Ma Clampet off the Hill Billies.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Grey water is water that has been used either from your shower, washing machine, kitchen sink etc and contains contaminates from the soap or detergents - hence to need to be careful about what you use.

Not the same as storm water collected off your roof which of course in many places is used as drinking water. I have 5000 litre water tanks too which are used to collect rain water, eventually I will connect them up so I am not using drinking water to flush the toilet (which is quite a stupid use of good water when you think about it) but at the moment they are used to water the garden only.

Unlike the UK no one puts rain water into the sewers (infact it is illegal) Storm water is a separate system which end up in the ocean or rivers. During the drought it is a matter of much angst that this fresh water is being wasted when it could be diverted and used as non potable water (ie not drinking water) or even refined to drinking water.

Again unlike Europe the 'yuck' factor has prevented even tertiary treated sewage water being used for anything other than a few industrial purposes even though the solids are used for fertiliser.
Sounds like a responsible way to manage water and waste. We're too complacent when we have more than enough. Brings the "earthship" concept to mind again - I posted that link somewhere but here it is again: http://earthship.com/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Sounds like a responsible way to manage water and waste. We're too complacent when we have more than enough. Brings the "earthship" concept to mind again - I posted that link somewhere but here it is again: http://earthship.com/
Don't feel too bad about it it is only 30 or 40 years since we used to just pump untreated sewerage a few km off shore into the ocean. Now most of it is tertiary treated before the water is discharged into the ocean.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Why would anyone want to go to the trouble of making up their own soap?
That's what I was thinking. Supermarkets sell laundry soap already made, why bother making your own?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hu99 ->
That's what I was thinking. Supermarkets sell laundry soap already made, why bother making your own?
Perhaps if you had bothered to read the other messages you wouldn't be so confused.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

20-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
And fortunately for those who don't like to throw away money, there are good alternatives.

I bet the alternatives don't wash your clothes as well, but each to their own.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I bet the alternatives don't wash your clothes as well, but each to their own.
By way of analogy, let's say some folks like to bake their own bread instead of buying it. Would the alternative be to stop eating bread?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top