Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 03:43 PM

Ear Wax

At the moment I am over half way through 2 weeks of olive oil drops for wax in my right ear before I go back to a nurse for syringing.

I know its a trivial problem compared to some other things but I am feeling fed up with it.

My ear is muffled and ringing and I keep wondering whether it will ever be clear again.

I was told NOT to use Earex or Otex as they can damage the ear in the long term, so its olive oil, a dropper full twice a day. It just doesn't seem to be doing anything and no sign of any wax yet!

Anyone else had similar experience and does the oil eventually start to work?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 03:50 PM

Re: Ear Wax

Yes mine started last October time, went nearly demented over the winter and it took 7-8 months until I was sent to have my ears vacuumed out, apparently despite all the oil the wax was so dry and compacted it would have taken years to soften it. Demention was caused by the repeated ear infections I was getting along the way. I really hope they can clear yours for you it's horrible !
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 03:52 PM

I get a lot of build up of wax in my ears owing to the fact I wear 2 hearing aids and my audiologist told me to try "Earex Advance" I did and boy does that shift it, it's great CC.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 03:54 PM

It is horrible, I'm prone to ear infections
Maybe a phone call asking the doctor to ring you and explain you are still experiencing problems - he may have a suggestion to speed things up
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
I get a lot of build up of wax in my ears owing to the fact I wear 2 hearing aids and my audiologist told me to try "Earex Advance" I did and boy does that shift it, it's great CC.
Great advice !
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 04:10 PM

I was advised to use sodium bicarbonate drops rather than olive oil which is quite thick.
If you have to use oil sweet almond oil is much better.
Tilt the head and put about a third of the pippette full into the ear, leave the liquid in the ear for 5-6 mins each side before draining out into a tissue. Using cotton wool is a total waste of time!
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 05:00 PM

Thank you for your posts.

I was told NOT to use Earex or Otex as they can make the ear sore so very nervous about using them now.

Not heard of sodium bicarbonate drops ruthio, I will certainly look out for them if I give up on the oil. Sweet almond oil sounds a lot nicer too.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 05:06 PM

Earex Advance is sodium bicarbonate CC in fact I was told not to use oil unless it had been warmed I have been using Earex Advance for a good while now without any ill effect.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 05:17 PM

I am constantly having my ears syringed. The last time they were like hard bullets and so painful when she managed to get them out which then turned out to be a nasty ear infection.
I feel so much for you. I have been known to almost scream with the pain that shoots through the ear owing to blocked wax.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 05:51 PM

The thing that caused my first infection was sodium bicarbonate being thinner it leaked down behind the wax causing my inner ear to become a stinky mess. The oil being thicker shouldn't do that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top