Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 01:43 PM

Re: Flies grrrr!!

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Maybe it is a bit different from my house where the flies hibernate and breed up in the loft. On the rare occasions when I open the loft door, I find quite a few up there. The flies migrate downwards into the house. Not vast numbers, but enough to curse at.

My solution has been to liberally spray up in the loft around autumn time, and close the door. (Make sure you don't inhale too much of it yourself). Sticky paper, I find, is quite disgusting.

Now will somebody please tell me how to kill the damned spiders in my workshop/garage. I have quite a few varieties living quite happily there, and they seem to be immune to normal sprays. I especially would like to get rid of those spiders that make sticky elastic webs. Horrible things!
But the spiders eat the flies, so if you took the spiders into the loft and left nature to take it's course you wouldn't need to spray either.....
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
But the spiders eat the flies, so if you took the spiders into the loft and left nature to take it's course you wouldn't need to spray either.....
If I could find a way of catching the spiders, and if I could find a way of transporting them, my attic would quickly look like something out of the Adam's Family.

I'm trying to get rid of the damned spiders, not encouraging a mass flood of refugees to a better breeding ground.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I will try a mint plant Patsy thanks for the tip.... I get quite a few flies here indoors too..tried those tacky gluey strips but couldnt get on with them..
Mint is a useful and inexpensive herb that also can repel flies. You can use mint in both forms i.e. in fresh or dried form to deter flies. Apart from flies, mint is also helpful against mosquitoes, ants, and mice.[/IMG]

When it comes to fly control, Lavender has its own special place. Lavender has a heavenly fragrance and lavender buds are used for cooking purpose. The sweet smell of Lavender repels flies, moths and fleas.[/IMG]

Copied the info for you
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the tips, folks. I came back from holiday to find an infestation of fruit flies. Forgot I had fruit in the bowl. Yes, I'm that bad. I buy stuff but then forget to eat it.

I used enough fly spray to knock out a horse, but still they hung around! Before today I used soapy water in a small spray bottle and zapped them whenever they settled. A tissue then picked them up and was binned. I now have a fresh fly strip hanging up by the fridge and all fruit has been chucked away.

If these measures don't work then I shall leave home!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 02:04 PM

I am surprised at the ignorance of most people on the lifestyles of insects and wildlife in general.
Flies have no other intent in life that to eat and breed, if you have flies in your house they are there to feed, mate, or lay eggs....they have no other purpose in life.
They will feed on any food, food residue or food detritus in your house, mainly the kitchen. They will mate at a certain stage in their life cycle either indoors or outdoors. They will lay eggs in rotting food or animal faeces and some species will lay their eggs in the dead rotting carcass of small creatures that have died in your attic or roof-space.
Once you fully understand their limited lifestyle you will be able to deal with them more easily.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 02:24 PM

Now will somebody please tell me how to kill the damned spiders in my workshop/garage. I have quite a few varieties living quite happily there, and they seem to be immune to normal sprays. I especially would like to get rid of those spiders that make sticky elastic webs. Horrible things!
Try putting conkers inside your shed, that is supposed to keep spiders away.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Try putting conkers inside your shed, that is supposed to keep spiders away.
I tried that, Jimmy.
The spiders ate them....

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 03:18 PM

I tried that, Jimmy.
The spiders ate them....

Or attached string to them and played at knocking each other's!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 04:07 PM

Our doors and windows are almost always open, but we have mosquito blinds on all windows and most of the doors too, but the ones on the doors only get used at night. We have a couple of electric tennis racquet fly swatters, various ultra violet gadgets and an expensive machine that you put a special liquid in which draws the insects to it, they are then sucked in by a fan and die, well that is the theory, in practice in the 5 months we've had it, it hasn't caught a single fly or anything else, a complete waste of money. We do have a couple of other "fly catchers", a sort of hanging plastic jar which we put something tasty to flies in, they go in through the entry bit but can't get out again. This does work, also works well with wasps. We hang them outside a little distance from the doors and these things get many flies and other flying nasties in them. We get very few flies inside the house. I've also seen in the supermarkets and ferreterier sprays which claim to keep spiders away, no idea if they work we only rarely get a spider indoors, well that I've seen anyway.
Hanfonius
North Wales

14-09-2015, 04:39 PM

When I was living out in Florida, I suffered from mosquitos when fishing.
A friend recommended an electronic gadget that produced an electronic supersonic whistle guaranteed to keep the mozzies away. I bought one, and couldn't wait to try it out.

Sure enough, on the first boat trip out, I switched it on, and nothing seemed to happen. No sounds, no lights, nothing. The mozzies just carried on biting me as before.

For two months, I faithfully switched the gadget on, and decided it was a waste of money. I took it back to Walmarts and complained saying it was all a con.

The very helpful assistant showed me where I needed to put a battery in it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top