Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 06:19 PM

Re: Flies grrrr!!

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I am surprised at the ignorance of most people on the lifestyles of insects
Originally Posted by malcolm ->
and wildlife in general.
Flies have no other intent in life that to eat and breed, if you have flies in your house they are there to feed, mate, or lay eggs....they have no other purpose in life.
They will feed on any food, food residue or food detritus in your house, mainly the kitchen. They will mate at a certain stage in their life cycle either indoors or outdoors. They will lay eggs in rotting food or animal faeces and some species will lay their eggs in the dead rotting carcass of small creatures that have died in your attic or roof-space.
Once you fully understand their limited lifestyle you will be able to deal with them more easily.

Well I haven't got uncovered food lying about, neither do I have rotting food, animal poo or dead carcasses laying around, so that doesn't explain to this "ignorant" old person why I get so many flies coming indoors, Malcolm!

Patsy, I already said about the Lavender and Citronella earlier, but didn't know about Mint, that's interesting.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Mint is a useful and inexpensive herb that also can repel flies. You can use mint in both forms i.e. in fresh or dried form to deter flies. Apart from flies, mint is also helpful against mosquitoes, ants, and mice.[/IMG]

When it comes to fly control, Lavender has its own special place. Lavender has a heavenly fragrance and lavender buds are used for cooking purpose. The sweet smell of Lavender repels flies, moths and fleas.[/IMG]

Copied the info for you
Thanks Patsy for the info x
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Nasty rotten humans were lovely leave us alone.

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 09:33 PM

the OZ cure - dung beetles!!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 09:19 AM

You need to set a trap - go high-tech. Get a big load of rotten stuff and place it in the center of a mirror field (or in a tube if using the same setup as below) just like this ...

The flies have to pass through the rays to get to the food and zap - fried flies.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 09:24 AM

Er, perhaps a little drastic for getting rid of the spiders in my workshop?

MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Er, perhaps a little drastic for getting rid of the spiders in my workshop?

You would have to entice em out of the workshop into the sun - awkward. Come to think of it you could heat up the roof if it is metal - cook em that way. Might burn down the workshop though.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 07:23 AM

Well, in Poundland the other day I bought a fly repellent (a cassette which you open up fully or partially and just leave anywhere) and a citronella candle in a tiny bucket. I also bought new fly strips from Wilko.

I put up the cassette on the top of my freezer and one strip hanging from the ceiling nearby and waited with baited breath...and the little buggers are just laughing at me! They settle on the strip and then fly off!

Yesterday while eating supper one was nearby and finally settled in my glass of orange cordial. Was talking on the phone at the time and had to finish the call so I could finish my meal anyway and refreshen my drink.

Grrrrrrrrr....
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 09:15 AM

Poor Jazzi, you had me in fits of laughter there. This will keep me in a good mood all day.

I go to bed at night with a small glass of milk.
Many is the time that I have half-waken at three in the morning, and had a protein nourishing moth-flavoured drink.

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Poor Jazzi, you had me in fits of laughter there. This will keep me in a good mood all day.

I go to bed at night with a small glass of milk.
Many is the time that I have half-waken at three in the morning, and had a protein nourishing moth-flavoured drink.

I aim to please!

Couldn't leave an open cup or glass out at night. I have a closed bottle of water nearby usually.

One thing though. Yesterday I put out two insect traps from Rentokill down by the French door where I get the woodlice. I haven't caught them, but I do have 4 of those flies! I've now put the third trap up on a shelf in the kitchen, seeing as they seem attracted to it.

Will look for some more traps.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top