Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Re: Vegans V Meat eaters

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I hate salad

Just saying.
hate is a strong word, give up, you will offend the lettuce
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 12:57 PM

As several members of my family had cancer many years ago (and none survived even with treatment) I have followed an anti-cancer/anti-inflammatory diet.

I did initially just eat chicken, turkey and white fish a lot (have allergies to shellfish and nuts). I wasn't a big beef fan anyway but I did grow up on lamb and mint sauce for sunday dinners so missed that as one of my favourites!

After the brexit scares about chlorinated chicken and price rises or food shortages as well as the possibility I maybe going through changeover from ESA to UC at the same time and have barely have enough to cover rent myself I've been trying out different vegetarian/vegan foods to find a few alternatives I don't mind!

Particuarly one's that could be made up on a camping stove if gas/electric was a problem (either due to shortages or because I couldn't pay the bills with all money going to keep a a roof over my (and the dogs) head!

I wouldn't make my dog eat a vegetarian kibble though, even facing a severe cash shortage I'd rather stock up on her food and tinned meats for her (if I wasn't going to be able to afford fresh). eg I'd get in plenty of applaws tinned chicken with a long use by date incase the only chicken I could afford was the chlorinated stuff (if I won't eat it for health reasons, she's not eating it either!).

We both like tinned tuna and mackerel! so I'd get plenty of those in...sardines for her too, but I don't like them!

I was just looking on your Brexit forum to see if there was a food post (prepping) but they all seem to be political discussions.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 01:07 PM

Vegans have been around for a while now without making too much of a fuss but suddenly everything is connected with saving or not saving the planet. Everywhere you look now, it's vegan this and vegan that, even vegan shampoo. It's a marketing ploy along with everything else. Being a vegan will not save the planet, neither will eating meat. Reducing the number of people born on the planet might.

I buy some Quorn products which have suddenly become Vegan products but they still use plastic in their packaging.
Vegans also have to wear synthetic shoes etc. Not too eco friendly either. Veganism was never about saving the planet.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Christmas must be boring being a vegan!
I would hate to be a vegetarian or a vegan. Doesn’t it cause them to have very bad breath?
Nut roast ? No thanks!

Some do have "herby" breath but it's not that common to be able to smell it judging by my small sample of veg friends.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 01:12 PM

I hate salad

Just saying.
Salad doesn't like me .
My stomach must be accustomed to junk .
MrM looks on salad as a side dish
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I will quote part of the article, see what you think:

" Being vegan really isn't going to save the planet.
Did you know it takes 72 gallons of water to grow half a kilo of avocados? Or a gallon of water to grow every single almond?
Is that really credible??
Assuming UK gallons that is 720 lbs of water for just over one lb of avocados. Clearly, that half a half a kilo does not contain 720 lb of water - that would be nonsensical in the extreme.

In fairness, that's not exactly what they claim. A possibly more credible explanation for the 720 gallons is that it is used for irrigation and the vast majority drains back to the water table for reuse. Other quantities are released from the leaves and evaporate eventually being included in clouds and eventually rainfall.

Sure, the edible fruit contains water. It gets eaten, goes through the digestive process.............I won't go into what happens with that.

The statement
'Did you know it takes 72 gallons of water to grow half a kilo of avocados?' infers that 72 gallons is in some way consumed.

Sensationalist nonsense. Not even worthy of the |DM.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 01:51 PM

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Is that really credible??
Assuming UK gallons that is 720 lbs of water for just over one lb of avocados. Clearly, that half a half a kilo does not contain 720 lb of water - that would be nonsensical in the extreme.

In fairness, that's not exactly what they claim. A possibly more credible explanation for the 720 gallons is that it is used for irrigation and the vast majority drains back to the water table for reuse. Other quantities are released from the leaves and evaporate eventually being included in clouds and eventually rainfall.

Sure, the edible fruit contains water. It gets eaten, goes through the digestive process.............I won't go into what happens with that.

The statement
'Did you know it takes 72 gallons of water to grow half a kilo of avocados?' infers that 72 gallons is in some way consumed.

Sensationalist nonsense. Not even worthy of the |DM.
There is more to an avocado than the fruit Besoeker. It needs water to germinate and provide foliage and root otherwise no fruit. Same as your plants and lawns. Living on sandy soil my lawns probably use ten times that amount of water in drought....But they look nice...
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 03:06 PM

I love the baby carrot pic!

I’m a vegetarian, but probably not a really conscientious one.
I have never eaten meat (don’t like it) and gave up eating fish some years ago (although I did like it and sometimes miss it) but I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to analyse a jelly baby to check if it had animal-derived gelatine in it.

I only use eggs from local people who treat their hens well.
I feel guilty about consuming dairy products because I think the dairy industry is worse than the beef industry for animal welfare but I’d find it difficult to give up all dairy products from my diet.
I’ve tried soya protein and soya milk etc and I can’t stomach it.

As for preaching to other people - I just don’t. What they eat is their choice.

I only know one vegan and she insists that her husband and her two young children follow the same strict veganism that she does. I don’t agree with making your kids do that.
When my kids lived at home, I often cooked roast joints, meat casseroles etc, as well as fish and veggie dishes. I was fortunate to live in a rural area with a good butcher who sold meat which had been well raised locally and locally slaughtered.
My husband and kids would never let me cook steaks or chops, though - as I have never eaten it, I find it hard to judge those rare, medium-rare stages, so I tend to let it cook a bit longer to be on the safe side and end up cremating it!

From the OP, I very much agree with this bit:

“ ... let's make sure welfare standards are high for the animals we do raise and eventually eat.
Let's ban halal and kosher products from animals that have not been stunned before slaughter.
Then let people eat what they want to eat instead of extreme vegans trying to force others to follow suit."
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top