Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2012, 12:21 AM

Re: Blocked drain - suggestions?

Well I'm having the same problem myself now. I don't pour fats down the sink, but when I empty it, it starts gurgling badly. I don't go out the back much these days, but decided to have a look at the outside grid and it had water to the top.

I got a plunger to the inside sink and it was bringing up all sorts of muck, but it's not cleared, so I went and had a quick poke down the drain and managed to pull up some stuff - don't know what it is - but it's not cleared it. It felt like a lot of soil or something was blocking it as well so, what do I do now. Don't say send for Dynarod 'cos I can't afford it with all the expense I've had this year with one thing and another.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Is there a Wilco near you Mollie? they sell, quite reasonably, a think called a snake, a very long very flexible metal thingy that you feed down a blocked drain and jiggle about until the blockage is broken up and gone. Oh yes and sounds like you should invest in a fine mesh grid to cover the outside drain to prevent this happening again. Sorry, tis the best I can do. Unless you are up to getting down and mucky by shoving your arm right down the outside drain and pulling up all the debris.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 02:52 PM

ugh!!!! No thanks......
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 02:25 PM

my husband made a long wire with a hook on the end out of a wire clothing hanger does the job
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Is there a Wilco near you Mollie? they sell, quite reasonably, a think called a snake, a very long very flexible metal thingy that you feed down a blocked drain and jiggle about until the blockage is broken up and gone. Oh yes and sounds like you should invest in a fine mesh grid to cover the outside drain to prevent this happening again. Sorry, tis the best I can do. Unless you are up to getting down and mucky by shoving your arm right down the outside drain and pulling up all the debris.
Thanks Daisymay. Apologies for the late reply. I'm going to ask my neighbours if they have the same problem because if it's the actual drainage system itself, it could be that the water board should be called in. I got that advice today from somebody.

However, as it's so near to Christmas I'll wait till the festivities settle down. There's no major rush (I hope). Er ..... no ta. Don't feel like shoving me arm down there as you never know what's lurking, but a fine mesh grid to cover it for the future will most certainly be put in place.

Cheers folks.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 05:24 PM

The grid cover is essential otherwise the wind blows all sorts there.
Having moved from a house to a flat, we now use Mr. Muscle drain clear - once every 8 weeks, pour half bottle down the sink, works wonders...not cheap tho' - so found an equal good version in a pound shop, just as good.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

01-01-2013, 12:26 AM

Thanks Pats. I'll get to grips with it soon.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Soda crystals then boiling water on top does work...just prefer the liquid, it has no nasty smell - I just prefer it....

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top