Join for free
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

06-06-2011, 10:05 PM

Family Tradition

An Irish Family Tradition

Paddy, had long heard the stories of an amazing family tradition.

It seems that his father, grandfather and great-grandfather had all been able to walk on water on their 18th birthday.

On that special day, they'd each walked across the lake to the pub on the far side for their first legal drink.

So when Paddy's, 18th birthday came 'round, he and his pal Mick, took a boat out to the middle of the lake, Paddy, stepped out of the boat ....and nearly drowned!

Mick just barely managed to pull him to safety.

Furious and confused, Paddy, went to see his grandmother.

'Grandma,' he asked, "It's my 18th birthday, so why can't I walk 'cross the lake like my father, his father, and his father before him?"

Granny looked deeply into Paddy's, troubled brown eyes and said, "Because your father, your grandfather and your great grandfather were all born in January, when the lake is frozen, and you were born in August, ya eedjut!

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Re: Family Tradition

Nice one Topaz, that young fella was a right gobshite, he should have asked his granny more questions when he was younger, he deserved a good soaking, "If you want to know the truth, ask your granny", old Irish tradition.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

07-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Nice one Topaz, that young fella was a right gobshite, he should have asked his granny more questions when he was younger, he deserved a good soaking, "If you want to know the truth, ask your granny", old Irish tradition.

ROFL , too true Jem

I love the word " gobshite " , but dont you pronouce it gobshoite ?

Can you imagine having Father Jack on this Forum .......... LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2011, 08:53 PM

Yes Topaz, but with more emphasis on the 'I' rather than the 'O', thats Geldof's way and as far as I'm concerned, he is the original Gobshite. Think more of Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson in the film 'In Bruges', I think they use it once or twice. It's a very old term, I remember my grandfather using it on me when I messed up. It's simple but effective, Gob meaning mouth (as you already know) and the rest is easy.
Love the pic of Frank Kelly, he's a very good straight actor too.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

07-06-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Yes Topaz, but with more emphasis on the 'I' rather than the 'O', thats Geldof's way and as far as I'm concerned, he is the original Gobshite. Think more of Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson in the film 'In Bruges', I think they use it once or twice. It's a very old term, I remember my grandfather using it on me when I messed up. It's simple but effective, Gob meaning mouth (as you already know) and the rest is easy.
Love the pic of Frank Kelly, he's a very good straight actor too.

Agree with ya about Sir Bloody Bob ( how did that happen ,eh ? ) , and consider him more of an erse than a gobshoite , but he`s probably that too ........

Frank Kelly has been in Emmerdale for a few months now and many dont even recognise him

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top