Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Re: What’s normal?

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
[/B]

Dead right. Talking about what is normal in a social/ cultural sense is open season. As far as the psychology of an individual goes....Big cross and some strong garlic for mine. We can only talk in terms of behaviour. Because behaviour is subject to social norms. What's inside our heads isn't up for judgement......yet.
However, the mind is where all human behaviour starts and finishes, be that genetic or learned and also whether that is socially acceptable and usual or not.

Even those who make judgements do so according to their own psychology, therefore their own mind which is affected by their personal learning and inherited genes.

Quite a mystery really isn't it but such an interesting subject I reckon!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yeah THanks DM. So fighting is normal here then? Is it a case that you have to fight the right way?..There's fighting and then there's broken glasses, baseball bats (or more likely cricket bats on this "UKcentric" site) and headbuts with lashings of blood. I can do either as long as I'm allowed. Don't want to get expelled.
I'm afraid l am very old school KZ, l was taught that the
first one to be knocked down bought the beer!
But since returning to UK l have found things have got a lot
worse!
However on OFF only words with the occasional insult will
suffice!

Regards Donkeyman!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 12:48 PM

I'm normal! The rest of the World is'nt!

On my fridge magnet, "One in four people are unbalanced. Think of three friends, if they seem ok, you're the one!"

I don't have three friends
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm normal! The rest of the World is'nt!

On my fridge magnet, "One in four people are unbalanced. Think of three friends, if they seem ok, you're the one!"

I don't have three friends
That explains a lot, one being I have never found out what an 'Official Poinker' is?

No doubt I will now be finding out though!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:14 PM

"Normal"

is merely that which a person has been conditioned and programmed to accept as commonplace.

As a result differing cultures, societies, tribes etc have extremely different perspectives on what is normal to them.

In the UK we are largely programmed to believe that having a singular girlfriend or wife is the norm. Our cultures and marriage laws are set up around this precept.

In other parts of the world having multiple wives is the norm.

Elsewhere the very concept of marriage and permanent attachment is a misnomer.

In the end then there is no "normal" on a planetary scale amongst humankind.

However if you were to remove all of civilisation from the planet and then leave just a handful of men and women then that would be as normal as one could get imho.

You'd be living without any childhood programming or conditioning. Growing up simply within Nature all around you and thus living in tandem with it

There would be no concept of religion, or marriage or money. You would simply live as a creature of Nature just like every other species.

So I think in the end what I am coming to is the notion that "normal" is really simply that which Nature is. All of her cycles, her processes of growth, blooming, decay and recycling.

Nature is normal.

The more of Nature we can mimic or be in tune with, the more happy and prosperous we are as a species.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:18 PM

One man’s normal, is another man’s weird!
Kowhaigirl
New Zealand
Kowhaigirl is female 

13-07-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
"Normal"

is merely that which a person has been conditioned and programmed to accept as commonplace.

As a result differing cultures, societies, tribes etc have extremely different perspectives on what is normal to them.

In the UK we are largely programmed to believe that having a singular girlfriend or wife is the norm. Our cultures and marriage laws are set up around this precept.

In other parts of the world having multiple wives is the norm.

Elsewhere the very concept of marriage and permanent attachment is a misnomer.

In the end then there is no "normal" on a planetary scale amongst humankind.

However if you were to remove all of civilisation from the planet and then leave just a handful of men and women then that would be as normal as one could get imho.

You'd be living without any childhood programming or conditioning. Growing up simply within Nature all around you and thus living in tandem with it

There would be no concept of religion, or marriage or money. You would simply live as a creature of Nature just like every other species.

So I think in the end what I am coming to is the notion that "normal" is really simply that which Nature is. All of her cycles, her processes of growth, blooming, decay and recycling.

Nature is normal.

The more of Nature we can mimic or be in tune with, the more happy and prosperous we are as a species.
Nature is normal... I like that!

Now someone tell me how to quote just a portion of someone else's post...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I thought that was a right angle Besoeker?
I suppose the word RIGHT could be used as a synonymn
for the word NORMAL at a pinch?

Regards Donkeyman!
"A normal plane is any plane containing the normal vector of a surface at a particular point. The normal plane also refers to the plane that is perpendicular to the tangent vector of a space curve; (this plane also contains the normal vector)
"
The term right angle is usually used for lines.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:55 PM

I had a slow start to life due to ..lets call them developmental delays. I was told I wasn't normal or like other kids alot, bullied alot and being 'normal' was something to aspire to.

If you were able to fit in with 'normal' you didn't get made fun of and had opportunities (further education, work) that you didn't get if you wasn't.

If you at least 'looked normal' and people believed you were they left you alone and didn't make your life hell for 'being a bit different'.

I paid a high price mental health wise trying to fake 'being normal' for over 50 years just to be accepted and prevent bullying.

So I guess it depends on your perception and if anyone ever treated you badly for not being perceived as 'normal' by others to what the word means to you!
Baz46

13-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kowhaigirl ->
Nature is normal... I like that!

Now someone tell me how to quote just a portion of someone else's post...
Just hit the 'Quote' button which is first one along the row of three at the bottom of the relevant post, then in that window delete what text you don't want to appear but ensure the (QUOTE) AND (/QUOTE) codes are left in. These denote the text that appears in the round cornered white area. To demonstrate I've had to use round brackets where square ones usually appear or that would activate the coding. Then type below that your own comment. Bold and italic fonts can be used by highlighting text required to be as that by going to the icons on the second row at the top of that window B I and U underline.

Should you wish to quote multiple posts then hit the third button along at the base of each post you wish to quote, that one shows double quotes, one pair coloured brown the other coloured yellow and a plus sign (" " +) until you reach the last one you wish to quote, then on that one hit the first 'Quote' button, that will display the multiple posts you wish to quote plus the last one in a new window, all should be in order as posted. You then do the same as previously with a single quoted post but be careful about any coding, leaving out or deleting anything will cause problems. Add smileys as required.

You can display how it's going to read by hitting the 'Preview Post' button, text will appear above the original window and then when satisfied with what you've done or edit it again, hit the 'Submit Reply' button when you are OK with the text and it will appear in the thread. From there you can still edit it for some while, up to an hour I believe although not too sure of exactly how long.

That's how I have learned to do it in the absence of any instructions, there may be other ways, no idea about that. Bit long-winded but I hope that helps.

You will soon get used to it, hopefully.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top