Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 05:30 PM

Wild Birds.

In the garden wild birds have been flocking to the feeders indicating that the breeding season is underway and they are keen to grab all the food they can lay their beaks on. In particular the Starlings which are devouring fat blocks faster than I can put them out. This means that in 4 weeks time we will be mobbed by a cacophony of fledglings all fighting and playing peck your neighbour. Last year Mrs Snooty Draws next door complained of the noise they were making, which is a laugh as her two horrors make such a din in the garden we usually go out for some peace. Trouble is they are usually at it (the birds) about 5am or whatever dawn is in May. Starlings are designated a protected species under the wildlife act and red badged as endangered by the RSPB it would be a criminal offence to interfere with their established nesting and breeding. Would you consider it acceptable to remove the feeders until MRs S D 's brats had vacated their sacks.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Re: Wild Birds.

I have a stupid woman next door to me like that. She complained about my Starling who put his nest in the roof space between me and her for 13 years and then had a workman demolish it without my permission and knowledge. She has a stupid dog that barks a lot so without swearing which I would love to do you know what my answer is. Give the birds a chance and vaporize the idiots.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 05:59 PM

Very rare that we see starlings around here, but we do seem to have a rash of robins and sparrows this year on our feeders, they are a joy to watch...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 06:55 PM

Just love the birds and feeding them.
We've had blackbirds pulling our hanging baskets to bits this week but it'll only be for another week.
We only ever get a pair of robins but have seen more sparrows this year too.
Two green woodpeckers are getting regular.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 07:26 PM

We have tons of starlings & I don't believe they are considered endangered over here. Funny I read once that starlings were brought over here by someone from Europe, ha ha. I get a kick out of the babies chasing their mother around squawking to be fed!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I have a stupid woman next door to me like that. She complained about my Starling who put his nest in the roof space between me and her for 13 years and then had a workman demolish it without my permission and knowledge. She has a stupid dog that barks a lot so without swearing which I would love to do you know what my answer is. Give the birds a chance and vaporize the idiots.
What a cruel, heartless bi*ch!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
We have tons of starlings & I don't believe they are considered endangered over here. Funny I read once that starlings were brought over here by someone from Europe, ha ha. I get a kick out of the babies chasing their mother around squawking to be fed!
Indeed they were deliberately introduced by the American Acclimatization Society, in 1890, as part of a plan to introduce every bird species mentioned in the works of Shakespeare.

Others were introduced elsewhere, and some will have come as ship assisted.

Starlings are omnivores but feed mainly on invertebrates, so you could remove your feeders and they will survive alright as there will be plenty of food around now
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 07:28 AM

I know that starlings ain't the most endearing of our birds, as they arrive in battalions and hoover up anything available. But, I think their adult plumage is beautiful - like oil on water when the sun catches it.

We have quite a few magpies here too. Again, beautiful birds, but the two I saw yesterday were lurking around a hedge, possibly searching out their next meal of egg or nestling.

However, the sparrers who've nested in a space in the brickwork for the last three years are back.

As you may gather, I could watch birds for ages. OH and I used to do a lot of birdwatching (as opposed to 'twitching') and we had some very happy times.

Gwyn
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

27-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Here in Trent Hills we get blue jays & Chickadees in the winter & Goldfinches & Robins in the summer. Actually, Robins arrive late winter, early spring. I don't know where the chickadees go.

Back in Scarborough, never saw chickadees or goldfinches so they must like being slightly northeast Ontario.

Of course we have many other birds as well, just can't think of them right now.
Only got up 20 min ago.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Your Goldfinches and Robins, are very different from ours AC,and the Chickadees are close to the Tits in the UK. Do you get Cardinals that far North ?, stunning birds.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top