Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Re: Ants............

why do gardeners feel the need to kill nearly every version of insect life???
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 04:02 PM

Because they bite me to bits, and I have a very bad reaction to any bite.
and I do not want them in the house.
my next door neighbour, had them in her kitchen cupboard, thought she'd got rid, till she found out they were coming through the skirting into her lounge!
had to have the "terminators" in, they had to dismantle her units/carpets.
a right mess and a fair old cost!!
having said that, I do not kill spiders/wasps/bees etc.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 04:19 PM

Ants bite you to bits??..
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 04:27 PM

YES,I always have to have antihistimines in the cupboard.
once went to Greece, my legs/feet were so covered in bites you'd have thought I have a disease!

and I still have the scars on my legs!
lilac
West yorks uk

01-05-2014, 04:31 PM

Are you sure they weren't flea bites...I can't imagine ''ants'' crawling up your legs to bite you!!
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK

01-05-2014, 04:38 PM

After working on an allotment for 10 years, I think I know an ant when I see one! I give up!

lilac
West yorks uk

01-05-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Purdy ->
After working on an allotment for 10 years, I think I know an ant when I see one! I give up!

Not arguing with you Purdy..I have just never heard of it before..the reason I bought flea bites up was that I am allergic to them..I get big red weals..

I had to get rid of my cat..no matter what the vet gave him..or how much it cost me..he was hopping with them..
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK

01-05-2014, 04:55 PM

no offence taken Lilac!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Purdy ->
YES,I always have to have antihistimines in the cupboard.
once went to Greece, my legs/feet were so covered in bites you'd have thought I have a disease!

and I still have the scars on my legs!

I know the red ants are nasty little blighters for biting, and some people say the black ants bite too.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
why do gardeners feel the need to kill nearly every version of insect life???
I'm a gardener and I don't try to annihilate all insects lilac but I do try to control those damaging my crops or flowers.

That includes ants in my home garden but at work the shear numbers of ants in the gardens are far beyond any control.

My problem at home is that neither of my immediate neighbours bother with their garden so the insect population descends on my cultivated patch to feed.

Much as I dislike having to use chemical sprays I have no real choice because I don't have the time to patrol my garden, zapping insects with environmentally friendly sprays all day - it's impossible!

I'm actually using fine mesh netting for my Cabbages, Lettuces and Chard this year and some Salad Leaf I've grown is kept in a mini-greenhouse.

I've yet to put out everything and I know I'll have a problem with Beetroot as I always do but Potatoes, Carrots and Parsnips I never get insect problems with, apart from the ants getting into my raised beds so I just have to put up with that. stevmk2

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top