Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 03:14 PM

Re: "Our Time In The EU was a calamity for Britain"

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I agree, but can we really trust our wonderful Civil Service to get all of the procedures, which we'll need, up, tested & running.

They've only had half a decade.

And don't raise your voice to them!

It woiuld make them resign!

Right. I have the answer.

Raise your voice to them.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 03:15 PM

I agree, but can we really trust our wonderful Civil Service to get all of the procedures, which we'll need, up, tested & running.

It woiuld make them resign!

Ha! Ha! Ted, cancel their christmas holidays??
Non stop work if required !!

Donkeyman! 👍😟😟👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I agree. Disappointing.

Of course, he hasn't given away anything, and I have a feeling that he won't. Hopefully, he'll just continue to go through the motions for the final couple of weeks simply to avoid any future criticisms.
He, and they, can talk all they want for as long as they want.

As long as we are out by 1.1.21 without handing over our fisheries or any political or legal rights, I really couldn't care less.

I'd also expect our businesses and trading arrangements to be fully in place before the year end, prepared for working under WTO arrangements.
I thought Ursula and Boris were both going to make an announcement
today at noon??
Where was Boris ??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 03:48 PM

I've said what I think the plan is, and I see otheres here saying pretty much the same.
What Boris has just said leads me to believe that we are correct in our assumptions.

The direct quote of Boris:
""We are always happy to talk and to make progress where we can. I do think, as I say, there is a deal to be done if our partners want to do it. But we remain very far apart on these key issues," he said.

"The UK can't be locked into the EU's regulatory orbit and we've obviously got to take back control of our fisheries four-and-a-half years after people voted for it."

The Prime Minister added: "Let's see what we can achieve. But in the meantime, get ready, with confidence, for January 1 - trade on WTO terms if we have to."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-latest-eu-uk/

There is nothing abiguous in that.

I personally hope that immediately January 1st 2021 dawns if the EU have still refused to change their stance and we leave on WTO terms, that Boris and our government sues the EU.
Both using their own ECJ for not sticking to their own guidelines AND for not acting in good faith, and using the WTO for treating the UK differently when requesting a trade deal to the way other major economies were treated when a deal was negotiated.

That is not as unlikely as those who will undoubtedly scorn this suggestion might think.
One of the WTO's major tenets states that countries cannot discriminate between their trading partners; the EU cannot reasonably suggest a lack of discrimination given the demands which so far they refuse to relinquish.

We are headed towards very interesting times regarding Brexit methinks, as well as with other global events.
Let's hope that Boris continues not backing down though, given what he has said both in Parliament and in public, it does still look hopeful that he will stand firm.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

13-12-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I've said what I think the plan is, and I see otheres here saying pretty much the same.
What Boris has just said leads me to believe that we are correct in our assumptions.

The direct quote of Boris:
""We are always happy to talk and to make progress where we can. I do think, as I say, there is a deal to be done if our partners want to do it. But we remain very far apart on these key issues," he said.

"The UK can't be locked into the EU's regulatory orbit and we've obviously got to take back control of our fisheries four-and-a-half years after people voted for it."

The Prime Minister added: "Let's see what we can achieve. But in the meantime, get ready, with confidence, for January 1 - trade on WTO terms if we have to."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-latest-eu-uk/

There is nothing abiguous in that.

I personally hope that immediately January 1st 2021 dawns if the EU have still refused to change their stance and we leave on WTO terms, that Boris and our government sues the EU.
Both using their own ECJ for not sticking to their own guidelines AND for not acting in good faith, and using the WTO for treating the UK differently when requesting a trade deal to the way other major economies were treated when a deal was negotiated.

That is not as unlikely as those who will undoubtedly scorn this suggestion might think.
One of the WTO's major tenets states that countries cannot discriminate between their trading partners; the EU cannot reasonably suggest a lack of discrimination given the demands which so far they refuse to relinquish.

We are headed towards very interesting times regarding Brexit methinks, as well as with other global events.
Let's hope that Boris continues not backing down though, given what he has said both in Parliament and in public, it does still look hopeful that he will stand firm.

I understand your reasoning Zaphod, but didnt Boris say that a
couple of days ago? I thought he was goingnto make a further
announcement TODAY, Just like Ursula?
I have seen nothing of this?
And another thing puzzles me,(not really) Why did Ursula speak in
English???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I agree. Disappointing.

Of course, he hasn't given away anything, and I have a feeling that he won't. Hopefully, he'll just continue to go through the motions for the final couple of weeks simply to avoid any future criticisms.
He, and they, can talk all they want for as long as they want.

As long as we are out by 1.1.21 without handing over our fisheries or any political or legal rights, I really couldn't care less.

I'd also expect our businesses and trading arrangements to be fully in place before the year end, prepared for working under WTO arrangements.
Regarding that which I highlight above:

Despite the expected cries of "wolf", British business has been advised to be ready for no deal for some time now.
Nobody can reasonably say they have not been warned following the government's extensive media campaign.

As for our Customs etc., the same thing applies.
Our government have advised us that they are ready and we have seen much of the planning already, from inland border facilities to preparing the navy to protect our waters.

The respected MP John Redwood published a very sensible explanation as to why disruption should be minimal; read here:
https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2020/1...-project-fear/

If any business does indeed suffer as a result of being unprepared I, for one, have little sympathy after such a long period of knowing that change was inevitable; they have had over four years FFS.

Yes, some things might well be different.
Regarding business though the same old conditions apply as have always applied throughout time; those who adapt will prosper.

For us mere mortals, we can wait and see exactly what changes for us as a result of leaving the EU.
But of one thing I am certain: Brexit will generally not stop us from seeing loved ones like Covid has; it will not stop us from shopping like Covid has; and it will not kill us like Covid has with so many.

If the simple act of leaving a supposed union causes huge disruption in any way, I see that as a negative for the "union" and not for the act of leaving.
It would prove that those who view the EU as being restrictive are absolutely correct.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

13-12-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I understand your reasoning Zaphod, but didnt Boris say that a
couple of days ago?
I thought he was goingnto make a further
announcement TODAY, Just like Ursula?
I have seen nothing of this?
And another thing puzzles me,(not really) Why did Ursula speak in
English???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
It's all a game.

He who blinks first, loses.

But that gives the EU one big problem, because we do not even have to blink.
January 1st and we are free - and the EU look like bullies.
The EU just hope that we will blink.
That, quite simply, is what it boils down to.

(it's the EU's commonly-used tactic. Leave it until the last possible minute.)
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 04:19 PM

It woiuld make them resign
!

They'd call you a great big nasty bully too while sucking their thumbs and stamping their ickle feet in a tantrum Snowflakes the lot of them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Hi

Boris has backed down once again.

If leaving with No Deal is better for us, why is he still trying to get one?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

13-12-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Boris has backed down once again.

If leaving with No Deal is better for us, why is he still trying to get one?
Don't talk rubbish!
The whole thing is dragging on purely because neither Boris nor vdLeyen will back down.

Oh and BTW, it was vdLeyen & co who said that they would decide on Sunday, not Boris.
Which means that it is the EU who have backed down.
But don't let a little thing like a fact get in the way of you having a little rant, will you?

" 'We will take a decision on Sunday,' says EU's Ursula von der Leyen "
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-su...-raab-12156643

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top