Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Re: A neuter question

It's been a little like that here it's only recently we seem to be questioning the idea boys don't need to be neutered. TBH I would never neuter another boy but my girls are done ASAP. The health benefits to girls far out weigh the risks but that isn't the case for boys.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 01:47 PM

I think I'm going to hold off a bit.. He is such a delicate pup. Not at all what I am used to. I want to let him bulk up to his full potential.. before snipping.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
In the States.. Neutering and spaying does not seem to be just an option. It's just about mandated.. Not by law mind you.. but by custom. Unless a person is going to breed a specific breed of dog.... you have them neutered or spayed. There is a huge campaign against unintended breeding of animals. Dogs AND cats.. It's more or less espected. There are millions of stray and abused animals. Everyone here spays or neuters their pets. Those that opt not to are in the minority. To be honest.. I never considered NOT having Murphy neutered... WHEN was the only variable.

The vets must be rubbing their hands all the way to the banks then Audrey
Why can't folks see that neutering isn't the only way to stop animals breeding? What about good old fashioned common sense, and not letting them out to roam and cause trouble in the first place?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I have a 6 month old Shorkie named Murphy. (ShihTzu/Yorkie mix) He's tiny. right now he weights about 6 pounds. The Vet says that he can be neutered now. He also wants to remove a few baby teeth to allow this adult Canines to come in. However, I am leaning toward waiting until he reaches his full adult size and muscle mass before having him neutered. I understand that males that are neuetered before puberty tend to be taller, because the growth plates are not allowed to fuse normally with the help of testosterone.. and tend to be less sturdy muscle and bone wise. Am I off base in my thinking? Is it better to wait until a year old before surgery? He's so little that I want to give him a chance to bulk up first. OR is it better to listen to the Vet and do it now? I think the Vet just needs some Christmas money...lol! Opinions?
Hi Audrey .
Firstly I do not wish to disagree with your vet but 6 months of age is young to be worrying about retained deciduous teeth. I would wait until a dog is 9 months at least before removing them if they have not fallen out by then .

While I would always spay bitches having lost two and almost a third with pyometra, I do not see the same necessity to neuter dogs unless there is some very good reason.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 01:59 PM

I only ever had 1 bitch who developed Pyometra, but luckily I saw something wasn't right and she was quickly speyed.
Having said that, I am worried at the moment about my 3 year old's season, so she is going for a check up this afternoon. I will have her speyed after christmas.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 02:21 PM

I have no doubt the VET is counting his $$$... To do lab work, Neuter, and pull the teeth.. he quoted close to $500.00. That's over 300 pounds if my converter is correct!! AND that's pretty much BS.. IMO. I will take him to the community shelter for both procedures.. at about a third the cost. I can see that his lower adult canines are coming in behind his baby teeth.. I don't know if they will fall out by themselves.. but I'm going to give them a chance.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top