Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 02:15 PM

Re: Keeping calm..

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Learn relaxation and breathing techniques, once you have learnt to do this it can be a big help with fear/anxiety .

I have to be careful where I use it because I risk falling asleep and missing an appointment

I agree Meg. If you can do it, it can help enormously.

I had to have an MRI scan ages ago, and I really didn't like being put in that small tunnel.
I did my Yoga breathing, and also meditated, and when I was pulled out again, she said - "That were very good, you didn't move a single muscle."
I was rather pleased.
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
If it’s your first one, speak to the anaesthetist of your fears.
Even if it isn't your first ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ is the best advice.

I had a torrid time before and after an operation some years ago because I wasn't looked after by the anaesthetist

Later, when I damaged ligaments in my hand a year or so ago I talked about what happened and this time the anaesthetist was brilliant. I also mentioned it to the theatre nurse who was such a good help too.

I think the medical staff concentrate so much more now on your mental wellbeing but for them to do that you need to tell them what your worries are.

In the end I woke up in the recovery room and I've got to say I felt fantastic and sooooo relieved !
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 03:27 PM

My view on life is "Shit Happens" and "All Things Pass". Those two things get me through anything, big or small.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Meg. If you can do it, it can help enormously.

I had to have an MRI scan ages ago, and I really didn't like being put in that small tunnel.
I did my Yoga breathing, and also meditated, and when I was pulled out again, she said - "That were very good, you didn't move a single muscle."
I was rather pleased.
I did the same for the few MRIs I had. Never once opened my eyes, did slow breathing, and just talked to myself in my mind, yes, almost like meditating. Got me through them.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 03:44 PM

I've never experienced a general anaesthetic or MRI scan, I suppose I will do so in the near future though.

The only thing I get nervous about is when going to the dentist. I get over it though by telling myself the dentist has other patients booked in after me so it won't take long. When I'm in the chair though I actually feel quite relaxed so it's just the thought of going that I get nervous about.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Learn relaxation and breathing techniques, once you have learnt to do this it can be a big help with fear/anxiety .

I have to be careful where I use it because I risk falling asleep and missing an appointment
Originally Posted by Mups ->
I was rather pleased.
Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I did the same for the few MRIs I had. Never once opened my eyes, did slow breathing, and just talked to myself in my mind, yes, almost like meditating. Got me through them.
I've had a few MRI scans over the last couple of years and graduall got used to the tunnel, as long as there was a supply of cool air passing over me, but the on one my neck, eighteen months ago, was the worst .....

Unexpectedly, I was strapped on to the table then a helmet (third from the left in the photo) was screwed over my head and then I was totally inserted into the tunnel - the only thing that stopped me panicking was a rear-view mirror in which I could see the staff moving about in the enclosed office .....

I did the same as you three - slowed my breathing down and concentrated on things like recipes or music (but not the "muzak" coming through the headphones ..... )

Nevertheless, as time went on (and I was in the tunnel for 40 minutes) I, occasionally, felt like screaming "IACGMOOH!!!!!" ..... ..... until, suddenly, it was all over .....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 06:29 PM

It’s almost eleven years since I had major surgery, at the time I just wanted the pain to stop, so I didn’t care what happened to me....six months later I had to have a second operation, this time I was perfectly healthy, I’d stayed overnight in hospital as my surgery was scheduled for first thing, I remember the theatre nurse taking me to the operating theatre, I walked with her, I remember thinking , this is how the condemned man must feel
Carol, don’t worry...everything will be fine...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 06:39 PM

In through the nose, out through the mouth is my breathing technique that helps in anxious situations. I have to do this if I fly, it works to some degree but doesn't completely alleviate my fear, I need a couple of stiff drinks too.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've had a few MRI scans over the last couple of years and graduall got used to the tunnel, as long as there was a supply of cool air passing over me, but the on one my neck, eighteen months ago, was the worst .....

Unexpectedly, I was strapped on to the table then a helmet (third from the left in the photo) was screwed over my head and then I was totally inserted into the tunnel - the only thing that stopped me panicking was a rear-view mirror in which I could see the staff moving about in the enclosed office .....

I did the same as you three - slowed my breathing down and concentrated on things like recipes or music (but not the "muzak" coming through the headphones ..... )

Nevertheless, as time went on (and I was in the tunnel for 40 minutes) I, occasionally, felt like screaming "IACGMOOH!!!!!" ..... ..... until, suddenly, it was all over .....
Suits you sir.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 07:27 PM

If some huge weight on my shoulders interferes with my sleep pattern ...

... I sing to myself (quietly in my head).... pop tunes from my teens, forcing myself to remember songs & melodies I thought I'd forgotten. This soon becomes far more important and challenging than whatever it was that was keeping me awake. 🙃

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top