Join for free
Page 9 of 20 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 05:27 PM

Re: Now tell me why our police should not be armed.

I've given my opinion.

There appear to be two basic options:
1- increase the number of armed police and impose far more severe penalties for breaking the law;
2- leave things as they are.

I fully expect the actual outcome will be no. 2, so let's sit back and watch things become even worse over the next few years.

On the positive side, when things do become much worse I expect that what many people (including our glorious leaders) feel is unacceptable now will eventually become more acceptable.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 05:31 PM

Violent behaviour promotes other violent behaviour, in return.
Creating a perpetuating cycle of violence.

Trust the police will not take this path, will resist the knee jerk reactionaries.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Unclear what Bosoeker means by "fatalities", nor where he's got his figures from.

Found this which suggests he might not be totally right.

Hopefully he will clarify by producing his own sources.
List of countries by firearm-related death rate.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've given my opinion.

There appear to be two basic options:
1- increase the number of armed police and impose far more severe penalties for breaking the law;
2- leave things as they are.

I fully expect the actual outcome will be no. 2, so let's sit back and watch things become even worse over the next few years.

On the positive side, when things do become much worse I expect that what many people (including our glorious leaders) feel is unacceptable now will eventually become more acceptable.
Between a rock and a hard place.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
List of countries by firearm-related death rate.
Thanks for the clarification.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 01:26 AM

TAT has provided his idea of one way forward.

Perhaps those who argue against it could proffer their own solutions.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

05-06-2021, 08:33 AM

There is no one, simple quick fix solution.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
TAT has provided his idea of one way forward.

Perhaps those who argue against it could proffer their own solutions.
It's mostly our own fault why it has come to this Dex...
The police can't do it on their own and we should be supporting them more as in the past.

Our fault because there is no sense of community anymore, we should not tolerate criminal behaviour and vandalism taking over our communities. We lock ourselves up in own little castles with all the latest security and let the police sort it out. We have become a national society instead of a county or even town and village society. We sit back and allow laws made in Westminster to affect us all, instead of decisions made on a local level.

The result is that the police have distanced themselves from the community by strutting around in their stab vests and look more like a paramilitary force than the local bobby, and they appear unapproachable. How many of us know the local policeman or woman? Do you know their families or where they live?
They were part of the community when I was a lad and we knew each of them personally. Their families lived in the village, and people would respect them, and look out for them the same as any other neighbour.

We should take more responsibility for our communities and work with, and help the police, and the police should return to policing at a local level with officers taken from the community like they do in small townships in America.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's mostly our own fault why it has come to this Dex...
The police can't do it on their own and we should be supporting them more as in the past.

Our fault because there is no sense of community anymore, we should not tolerate criminal behaviour and vandalism taking over our communities. We lock ourselves up in own little castles with all the latest security and let the police sort it out. We have become a national society instead of a county or even town and village society. We sit back and allow laws made in Westminster to affect us all, instead of decisions made on a local level.

The result is that the police have distanced themselves from the community by strutting around in their stab vests and look more like a paramilitary force than the local bobby, and they appear unapproachable. How many of us know the local policeman or woman? Do you know their families or where they live?
They were part of the community when I was a lad and we knew each of them personally. Their families lived in the village, and people would respect them, and look out for them the same as any other neighbour.

We should take more responsibility for our communities and work with, and help the police, and the police should return to policing at a local level with officers taken from the community like they do in small townships in America.
I think it depends where you live.

We have a local community page on Facebook where I have read many posts about known problems and many people here seem to look out for each other.

On the other hand, we don't have local police stations any more and I'm afraid I have no idea who our local policeperson is, though their name is occasionally mentioned on the Facebook page. Come to think of it, though, I'm sure it's a PCSO and not a real policeperson and, of course, I have no idea where s/he lives or whether it's local to us.

In any event, you don't see them walking the streets any more.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
These things start off in swamp city and metastasize to the rest of the country. It's happening now. Just check out on line local papers.
It's not much use, for a PC, to carry a gun unless the criminal has every confidence that the PC will, actually, use it.

Let's consider that.

I think that the PC should "shoot first & ask questions afterwards" when faced with a baddie with a gun.

If he does do that he has to make sure that the wound will be bad enough to stop the baddie from firing back!

If he doesn't do that, the battle is lost right there. The baddies will know that they have the high ground.

If he does do that the press will, as always, be all over it as a miscarriage of justice.

For me, the only approach is that all illegal weapons carriers are locked away for life. No Ifs, no buts!

Page 9 of 20 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top