Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 02:45 AM

Trade deals

Just heard that SCOMO and Boris have agreed in principle to some trade deals between Australia and the UK. This sounds like it could be a good thing. And I sincerely hope that should these eventuate, that it creates a win/ win environment for both countries. Despite all the verbal diarrhoea, threats and sub standard goods coming out of China, all we want is some good honest trade, a level playing field and a mutually beneficial exchange of quality products. Like consider this. I like to make things out of timber. I don't take myself seriously at all with this but I'm OK at it. I can make things for my own use that don't fall apart. I like quality tools to do it. I don't have many but those I do have I've had for decades. They were made in Britain, the USA, Australia and Japan. They have never failed me once. If I could find good quality British, American and Australian tools to replace them when they finally do die instead of sub standard garbage from China that lasts 5 minutes, I would be very happy.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 03:15 AM

Re: Trade deals

Most of the problem with Chinese manufactured items stems from the importer not the manufacturer. If an importer goes to the Chinese manufacturer and says :"Can you make this for $10?" The Chinese manufacturer will say "Yes we'll make it out of recycled plastic bottles, it won't last long but if that's what you want". The Chinese , like most Asians, have a great attention to detail which can produce very high quality goods but they have a different approach to what we would call reputation.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Most of the problem with Chinese manufactured items stems from the importer not the manufacturer. If an importer goes to the Chinese manufacturer and says :"Can you make this for $10?" The Chinese manufacturer will say "Yes we'll make it out of recycled plastic bottles, it won't last long but if that's what you want". The Chinese , like most Asians, have a great attention to detail which can produce very high quality goods but they have a different approach to what we would call reputation.
Good point CM. Traditional Chinese craftsmanship is no doubt very fine. But that's not allowed any more under Xi. Maybe I should stop going to Bunnings then because everything there is made in China and it's all crap. It's just a matter of how crap it is. I'm not made of money but I would rather pay $500 for a a top quality, made to last item than $100 for something that is not only poor quality but in some cases downright dangerous. Like screws that snap off in soft wood mid drive , nails that bend if you look at them thee wrong way and electrical stuff with plastic internals. Things made in Japan, Korea and Taiwan I find are
pretty good.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 04:10 AM

Interesting sticking point on the UK/Australia FTA negotiations emerged today about the 2nd year of the backpacker visa.

Currently visa holders must work in agriculture (ie Fruit picking, harvesting etc) but the UK wants to change this because there is no such reciprocal arrangement - Australian backpackers in the UK have no restrictions on the work they can do. Australian farmers are in uproar because they fear a worker shortage if this is agreed to.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Interesting sticking point on the UK/Australia FTA negotiations emerged today about the 2nd year of the backpacker visa.

Currently visa holders must work in agriculture (ie Fruit picking, harvesting etc) but the UK wants to change this because there is no such reciprocal arrangement - Australian backpackers in the UK have no restrictions on the work they can do. Australian farmers are in uproar because they fear a worker shortage if this is agreed to.
Hi

We have concerns here as well amongst our Farmers
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have concerns here as well amongst our Farmers
Australia would walk away from any agreement if there is no benefit to our agricultural sector. Just a fact of life.
keezoy
Australia

15-06-2021, 05:23 AM

[QUOTE=swimfeeders;2105982]Hi

We have concerns here as well amongst our Farmers[/QUOTE

That is to be expected. It's early days yet. It's just an in principle nod towards chapter two right now. I am confident that Australia doesn't want to strike any deals that.... unlike some other countries that we once had good trade relationship with but don't any longer... are unfair to any sector of the British economy or the British people. It is up to SCOMO and Boris to work out the details to achieve just that. If they fail then I guess both countries will walk away from it. Let's be positive that they will succeed innit!.. Personally I really hope it does. If countries that share democratic and social values, have a long historical relationship and basically get on with each other can build some really solid ties again in this way and that includes the USA.NZ..Canada Singapore..the lot.... then we can think about how we are going to handle China. Despite what some people refuse to accept here, I am NOT against the Chinese people. I like that they are here and I like that we trade with them. When Xi decides to play nice, then maybe China can join the party as a fair player. A world economy that benefits everybody and can turn to helping poorer countries out of poverty cooperatively. What a dreamer I am yeah!..haha. Hoping for that works for me.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 06:33 AM

We have to have an international mobile sweatshop somewhere, all things monetary have been based on this principal for decades.
keezoy
Australia

15-06-2021, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We have to have an international mobile sweatshop somewhere, all things monetary have been based on this principal for decades.

Is that a sad observation or a recommendation Spit?..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 07:04 AM

Its hard to answer that one Keezoy, both possibilities carry a degree of hypocrisy.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top