Join for free
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 08:04 AM

Noticed a new trend in the US

Since COVID it seems everywhere you call when you get a recorded message. Somewhere in that message it's going to say "If this is an actual emergency hang up and dial 911." Now first of all if it was an actual emergency (like having a heart attack) of course the number I call is going to be my bank. Any reasonable adult would, "what!" Who in their right mind dials a 10 digit number to be put on hold while having a heart attack. I mean you get this message from most businesses like Social Security. The other thing is "actual emergency", so there's a number for fake emergencies? What is it 119?
I think this was done for those same people who need a warning label on bleach "not for internal use!" I don't know about those abroad, but I was born here and sometimes I find America confusing. What even funnier, is that this message comes sometimes after a 5 min run down of push this for that. 5 min into the call I'm dead and it tells me "if this is an actual emergency please hang up and dial 911." I mean really you could have led with that!!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 09:02 AM

Re: Noticed a new trend in the US

Originally Posted by Danny ->
Since COVID it seems everywhere you call when you get a recorded message. Somewhere in that message it's going to say "If this is an actual emergency hang up and dial 911." Now first of all if it was an actual emergency (like having a heart attack) of course the number I call is going to be my bank. Any reasonable adult would, "what!" Who in their right mind dials a 10 digit number to be put on hold while having a heart attack. I mean you get this message from most businesses like Social Security. The other thing is "actual emergency", so there's a number for fake emergencies? What is it 119?
I think this was done for those same people who need a warning label on bleach "not for internal use!" I don't know about those abroad, but I was born here and sometimes I find America confusing. What even funnier, is that this message comes sometimes after a 5 min run down of push this for that. 5 min into the call I'm dead and it tells me "if this is an actual emergency please hang up and dial 911." I mean really you could have led with that!!

I know what you mean, it’s the time it takes, especially if you think you are having a heart attack....

I think you get symptoms before having a heart attack,I know I did when I went into atrial fibrillation after heart surgery, it was blood clots reaching my heart was the main concern..so best to get that checked out before it progresses and becomes fatal.

I’m not saying you get symptoms in every heart attack case, but many you do.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 09:16 AM

Hi Danny, just noticed you are in Denver, Co, I have family in Denver and Colorado Springs, I visited a couple of times and I have to say how lucky you are to live in such a beautiful part of the world. Not seen you around before so let me say welcome"
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Hi Danny, just noticed you are in Denver, Co, I have family in Denver and Colorado Springs, I visited a couple of times and I have to say how lucky you are to live in such a beautiful part of the world. Not seen you around before so let me say welcome"

Thank you on both counts. Yes, it's a beautiful part of the country, indeed. Being a photographer I couldn't wait to move back here. Unfortunately it's overcrowded in the city and traffic is horrible, but then everywhere has it's draw backs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Danny ->
Similar here Danny. I rang 101 for a non-life threatening emergency and after listening to all the options I was told they were too busy to answer my call.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 09:30 AM

By the way I agree, the phones these days are infuriating, press this, press that, I want to speak to a flipping human not a robot *grrrowl* It drives me mad, no wonder I've hardly any mane left
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Similar here Danny. I rang 101 for a non-life threatening emergency and after listening to all the options I was told they were too busy to answer my call.
Seriously?

Can you imagine how jammed their system must be though, when you think about it, especially since covid turned up.

In an emergency I would dial 999, even then you still have to go through their system.

I’ve always been lucky, the ambulance arrived straight away...
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

07-07-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
By the way I agree, the phones these days are infuriating, press this, press that, I want to speak to a flipping human not a robot *grrrowl* It drives me mad, no wonder I've hardly any mane left
My patience with these annoying systems has gradually grown thinner and thinner over the years. There are some very slippery worms who do it deliberately in order to squeeze every penny they can out of you.

The following is a letter which I'm sending to Virgin Media today. I will send it via snail mail with proof of delivery.

<RELEVANT PERSONAL DETAILS>

I did not purchase your speed boost package priced at £42.00 per month.

If you increase my monthly charge from £24.00 per month, then I will find another provider.

I have not received any notifications from you. I was completely unaware that the price would increase.

Please note that I notified you months ago about my change of email address, but you have ignored this and continued to send emails to my old address.

On 05-07-2021, I tried to phone you. Your menu system took about 10 minutes to connect me to a human being, then a foreign callcentre boy answered. This person continued to stall the conversation. The remaining credit of £4.50 on my mobile phone was used up on your 0345 number. This will be deducted from what I owe you.

So, I tried my best to cancel my broadband service with you on 05-07-2021, but you made it practically impossible. Therefore I had no alternative but to send you this notice via physical postal mail with proof of delivery. This will also be deducted from what I owe you.

This letter was sent at 13:00 on 07-07-2021. I will wait until 13:00 on 11-07-2021 for a telephone response from you. If you do not respond by this time, then I will go ahead and cancel this service and find another provider.

I REPEAT: This service will be cancelled on 11-07-2021 unless you maintain the current service at £24.00 per month.

If I cancel this service, then I will calculate the amount I owe you based on £24 per month. That is:

( ( 24 * 12 ) / 365) * n

where n is the number of days for which I haven't paid.

Kind regards,

David
Feel free to modify and develop if you have any ideas!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Seriously?

Can you imagine how jammed their system must be though, when you think about it, especially since covid turned up.

In an emergency I would dial 999, even then you still have to go through their system.

I’ve always been lucky, the ambulance arrived straight away...

It was when I saw the drunkard outside in the road

I ended up ringing 999 in the end. Personally I think 101 has just confused matters.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 03:35 PM

Our service charge people who run our apartment block have a phone number, which always goes, " No one is available to speak to you , please leave a message". Do they get back to you? Not a chance! They say we only accept e-mails or written letters. So why the **** have a phone number printed on their documents! I sent an e-mail with an attachment, which they told me went into spam! I certainly regret the day I move from Freehold to Leasehold. They keep hiking up the charges when possible. When I challenged the latest extra charge, "Oh that's for covid cleaning". Right, £126 to clean a few door handles and hand rails. I'm NOT a celebrity, get me out of here!!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top