Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 12:21 PM

Re: ever thought about or run your own business?

I suspect that those who have the personality, ambition, drive and common sense, are going to be the ones who do very well in their employed occupation, and are the very one who come to realise that the best way ahead must be to try to go it alone.

Those who are bored, at work, and are only there to earn their wages, are, probably, not the best ones to seek out the many challenging ventures out there, but they might still wake up and give it a go.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 12:39 PM

Been there done that..
When my husband left the army after 21 years we took the Tenancy of an Inn in Dorset and spent a lot of money and effort doing it up.
After a year an injury my husband received serving in Northern Ireland resurfaced and he became paralysed weeks after our son was born, so we lost the business, our home and all we had put into making a successful business.

But my son has made up for the success denied his parents. He started experimenting with computer businesses when he was 12, started a number of online businesses featuring customer recommendations which were before their time and lacked financial backing. Then came the big one, he said he would be rich and successful by the age of 30 but it took till he was 35.

Business sold he has just started another
I should add it hasn't been easy and involved working all hours including being up all night before his wedding fixing a problem .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 12:44 PM

Speaking for myself my only interest in establishing my own businesses had nothing to do with continuing my (successful) career and everything to do with making money.

THAT should be the only motivator. I couldn't care if it involved selling fitted sheets on Amazon or making "tin ar*****es for teddy bears" to fulfill a worthwhile contract. No press and dies? Outsource it.

Actually over the years we've done both, and a whole lot more besides.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Been there done that..
When my husband left the army after 21 years we took the Tenancy of an Inn in Dorset and spent a lot of money and effort doing it up.
After a year an injury my husband received serving in Northern Ireland resurfaced and he became paralysed weeks after our son was born, so we lost the business, our home and all we had put into making a successful business.

But my son has made up for the success denied his parents. He started experimenting with computer businesses when he was 12, started a number of online businesses featuring customer recommendations which were before their time and lacked financial backing. Then came the big one, he said he would be rich and successful by the age of 30 but it took till he was 35.

Business sold he has just started another
I should add it hasn't been easy and involved working all hours including being up all night before his wedding fixing a problem .
I feel for you Meg, the abject dejection of putting everything into an enterprise and then seeing it fail through circumstances beyond your control is devastating, and unless you have experienced it you will never know how utterly soul destroying it is.

As for success though I love it and love to see it. 👍 There is nothing I respect more than a success born through hard work and personal enterprise. If you've never done it then you will never understand the euphoria of, and the pride in such achievement after all of the personal risks and sleepless nights, it's really like no other...
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
That's a lovely idea, Graham, and I wish you all the success! What kind of photography are you interested in?
Portraiture and wildlife at the moment, but would like to expand into studio work, having done a little of it with a couple of professional models.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Good luck to you Graham. What form of photographic business your thinking of? Buying and selling equipment or being commissioned as a photographer to do things like wedding photography or product?

Don't want to put a damper on your idea but I strongly suggest you pay a visit to a large photographic web site forum and see what those who have been doing it for years are now talking about.
Sorry I don't think I am allowed to mention which one.

Like any business ,even as a hobby, there are pros and cons to cosider such as model release forms- third party insurance- Camera insurance to name just a few things to consider and a lot more as well like contracts etc
Commissioned photographer and have done a few informal shoots for a few people. I have spent an awful lot of time looking into the business model I'm looking to pursue and I am present on a lot of forums which deal with all the things you mention, especially liability insurances etc. and visit tradeshows and such.

At the moment, it's just a collection of ideas. I need to deal with some 'house' issues first, sort out my pension and money and look at upgrading some of my gear before I jump into this.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 04:54 PM

Graham

I suppose one thing is local opposition and what they charge. Anyway that is what we did and pitched our prices around the Middle plus price bracket. Too low and people thing your rubbish, too expensive and they can't afford or if they do will find something they don't like try to make a claim.

Of course there are so many people taking photos,to make a semi living is that much harder now.

I returned to photography after many years as at the time retirement was on the horizon. AS a hobby only not for financial gain.

Can I suggest (ok I know I keep on about it) there is possibly a chance there is more need/ openings for videographers at events that hords of people with just cameras.

if you look at all the nice members on here alone they are happy with their cameras taking stills, which is fair enough, but only a couple making videos which should give some indication of the opportunities of video work.

Just a thought. What do you think?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
What did you do, LD? Is that the graphic design you mentioned?
I was self employed as a graphic designer for about ten years but most recently as a plumber/bathroom installer along with decorating, wood floors etc, anything I could basically.
Graham
South Hampshire

23-07-2021, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Graham

I suppose one thing is local opposition and what they charge. Anyway that is what we did and pitched our prices around the Middle plus price bracket. Too low and people thing your rubbish, too expensive and they can't afford or if they do will find something they don't like try to make a claim.

Of course there are so many people taking photos,to make a semi living is that much harder now.

I returned to photography after many years as at the time retirement was on the horizon. AS a hobby only not for financial gain.

Can I suggest (ok I know I keep on about it) there is possibly a chance there is more need/ openings for videographers at events that hords of people with just cameras.

if you look at all the nice members on here alone they are happy with their cameras taking stills, which is fair enough, but only a couple making videos which should give some indication of the opportunities of video work.

Just a thought. What do you think?
I have done some video work, but in truth, my heart lies in photography. I just enjoy doing it more and get more out of it. I find it a medium which lends itself to be more creative - at least for me.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was self employed as a graphic designer for about ten years but most recently as a plumber/bathroom installer along with decorating, wood floors etc, anything I could basically.
Longie, good for you to be so handy and make a good living!
I respect you, but don't think this applies to LTP. I can't let my guard down, or you swoop in and boot us out. You've now been forewarned.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top