Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:27 PM

FRACKING - UK Govt trying to push it through!

This is a very thought provoking video, please watch it. I think this topic is very important, don't you ? These people never give a list of the chemicals they use, mixed with water in this process. I fear for our future health, if we allow this 'fracking' to go ahead. Of course the businesses involved will say they will do everything safely. How the heck do they know what the outcome will be. I just look across the Atlantic and see what has happened in America ! That is a vast country, as is Australia, and they have got troubles through fracking. What chance has tiny Britain got ?

https://www.facebook.com/peoplepower...type=2&theater
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:30 PM

Re: FRACKING - UK Govt trying to push it through!

Saw a very good documentary on the process - it certainly is worrying
Big guns never listen and their eyes only see big bucks
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:35 PM

You're right, Patsy. It frightens the c**p out of me, not to put too fine a point on it. I really cannot understand why this government doesn't concentrate on wave power, tidal power - they are not finite sources of power ! I'm damn sure engineers can design effective plant to carry out this process.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:38 PM

We usually follow Americas lead though don't we
Its infuriating to say the least that the powers have so little sense
They are destroying this Earth because they never listen - they are 'finally' listening with regards to global warming - but its much too late
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:44 PM

I'm going to go against the flow a little and say that I would like to see a carefully controlled, fully regulated, trial of fracking here, with an independent expert panel to investigate the results.

It could provide an interim answer to our fossil fuel needs, until they really get their act together on renewables.

I would much much rather be self sufficient in oil than be in thrall to the middle east or to Putin
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Hi

I am 100% in favour of fracking, as well as wind power, solar power, tidal power , in fact anything we can do to make ourselves energy independant.

We need oil and gas for our vehicles and homes, hence the need for fracking.

Electricity we can generate without any gas or oil.

My reasoning is simple, energy independence.

The sooner we can do without oil and gas imports the sooner we will not be being dictated to by the fundamentalist arab nations and we can get out of the Middle East and leave them to their own stupidity.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
This is a very thought provoking video, please watch it. I think this topic is very important, don't you ? These people never give a list of the chemicals they use, mixed with water in this process. I fear for our future health, if we allow this 'fracking' to go ahead.
Hi Gilly

I understand your fears and concerns but I STRONGLY suspect they are founded on media propaganda and mis-information about fracking.

I am 100% in favour of fracking in the UK. We are an island and we desperately need to use any natural resource we have instead of putting ourselves at the mercy of foreign energy companies.

Everything that is happening today is tied up with the core problem that foreign powers have the UK by the short and curlies and thus those foreign powers have our politicians in their pockets. QATAR for example pretty much owns Sainsbury's.

We MUST break free from this stranglehold.

Understand then that those foreign powers will do ANYTHING possible to prevent the UK from establishing it's own self-sufficiency and that includes funding and supporting so-called anti-fracking lobbyists and all those people who suddenly appear out of nowhere and take to the streets with placards in villages across the nation. It also includes huge media propaganda and scare stories like the ridiculous video clips of people setting their kitchen water taps on fire etc etc.

Here's the scoop.

Fracking happens way way down in the earth, absolutely nowhere near our water tables. If you drill a hole a mile down and put some liquid chemical down there, it is impossible for that liquid to rise up of its own accord to the surface again and affect the water table. To do so it would have to overcome the force of gravity.

The instances where fracking companies have inadvertently damaged water tables concern accidental spillage of the chemical containers that are already at the surface on the company site. i.e. it is not the actual fracking that has damaged the water tables, it is mistakes made at the surface concerning how chemicals are stored.

Understand that this same problem exists for ANY industrial company quite irrespective of fracking companies. Any company that uses hazardous materials could inadvertently spill some and find that it affected the water table. Hell, you could do the same thing in your own back garden if you have some large quantity of fertiliser and spill it !

The UK is sitting on trillions of tons of Shale Gas, enough to supply the needs of the UK for 50yrs or more.

The powers that be would rob you of that valuable resource, just as they have robbed you of coal mining. We must not let them get away with it.

We have to see the wider picture and realise that we are strangled by foreign energy powers at present and doubtless that all has much to do with the lax immigration controls we have seen in recent years. Our governments are likely being forced to let droves of people in by these foreign powers.

We have to sever the dependencies and Shale Oil/Gas is the quickest and best way to do that.

Meanwhile of course your government is happily planning to encircle the UK with nuclear power stations . There are loads of new stations planned for the UK's coasts. Get Googling if that worries you. It would only take one disaster to pretty much wipe out the whole of the UK imo.

Which is worse, 12 more nuclear power stations around Britain's Coasts or for us to get cracking with fracking ?!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
I'm going to go against the flow a little and say that I would like to see a carefully controlled, fully regulated, trial of fracking here, with an independent expert panel to investigate the results.

It could provide an interim answer to our fossil fuel needs, until they really get their act together on renewables.

I would much much rather be self sufficient in oil than be in thrall to the middle east or to Putin
DM I would agree with that.
We do not live in a perfect world where we can pick and choose, one day the scientist may crack nuclear fusion and until they do we have to take the options available to provide for ourselves.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:22 PM

I also totally agree with any decision to to become self efficient and start Fracking.
I think Realist has more or less summed up my feelings about Fracking.
Coal Mining was far more hazardous than Fracking will ever be. Removing large quantities of coal from close to the surface has caused lots of subsidence and water pollution over the years, not to mention all the lives that have been lost recovering the black stuff.

Fracking goes far deeper than even the deepest coal mine, and because only the gas that occupies the porous sections of shale is removed subsidy would not be a problem.
As Realist has already mentioned, there are vast resources of shale gas waiting to be tapped into that would supply us with energy for around the next fifty years giving us more time to find alternative methods of producing energy.
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:28 PM

We've had so many protests here by property owners but it's absolutely a waste of time, the government are determined to follow America's lead and push on with it whether we like it or not. It's already a done deal.

What we are doing to our planet makes you weep.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top