Join for free
Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 09:35 PM

Re: Now tell me why our police should not be armed.

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
It won't stay just in London. Those people are drug users/dealers. It USED TO BE just in the big cities of America. It is now in EVERY town in America. Even in the middle schools (grades 6-8).

Arming cops is opening Pandora's Box. I guarantee that once cops are armed, it is only a matter of time before cops will begin shooting unarmed civilians. Including little kids. Yes, that's right. I said little kids. I have lost track of how many little kids were killed by trigger happy cops.

Cops in America routinely murder the homeless, severely mentally ill, and in one recent case, a nurse who was peacefully sleeping in her own bed when cops mistakenly raided the wrong house.

Cop culture is a macho culture. Not only that , but cop culture attracts those who enjoy violence.

So, if you want your relatives, friends, neighbors to be drug out of their cars and beaten within an inch of their lives, then by all means, arm cops. If you want your towns, villages etc to look like downtown Beirut, then by all means, arm cops.

It's a very slippery slope.
I'm sure that happens in America, but does the same thing happen in western European countries?

People always refer to America when they want to demonstrate misuse of firearms. Why not compare us to other European countries?
All, or at least most of these have their police routinely carrying firearms, yet you never hear of them behaving like the American police.

Why? Perhaps it's something to do with the difference between the European and the American psyche.

I am of the firm belief that our police, if routinely armed, would behave just as well as other European police.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Tasers may help, but only if the policeman spots the criminal first!
I am thinking of a longer term solution so, if they take one life, they will never be able to take another!
But we are all too soft for that in Britain.... and that is why they commit these violent acts here
Yes, a 'permanent' solution! A 'capital' solution!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-06-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
We need more police for sure. Back in the day up here in Scotland, police were big burly brutes who didn't think twice about taking you round the back and charging you with "resisting arrest". They walked the streets and everyone felt safer. Now you get little guys with big attitudes standing with their hands in their vests looking the other way because its too much paperwork.
True. For some reason, the powers that be seem to think that the right sort of colour and a university degree is far more important than 'big burly brutes' with common sense rather than paper qualifications.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
The trick is to look at countries with low rates of crime and see how we can emulate those conditions.
The death penalty, beheading and chopping off hands seems to work in some countries
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-06-2021, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
The trick is to look at countries with low rates of crime and see how we can emulate those conditions.
Most of West Europe. Switzerland is a prime example.
(See my earlier post today!)
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Do frontline police want to carry guns, have they been asked for an opinion even.

Armed officers are limited but they are highly trained, not all officers would necessarily have the apitude.

During an arrest for instance, the risk of the officer being disarmed a greater danger.

The relationship between them and the public irreversible changed.

In countries where the police are armed, they still have terrorist attacks.

Politicians and Police have a difficult problem, only they should decide.

Think they will resist pressure.

To a considerable extent what WE want is of more importance than what police officers want.

Speaking for myself I WANT our police to be armed, I WANT them to be ready and able to use lethal force on savages now roaming our streets.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Start with parents.
Discipline in schools, non existent with the resultant juvenile delinquency.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm sure that happens in America, but does the same thing happen in western European countries?
West European countries have almost all greater fatalities than UK. Switzerland for example. And Norway and Portugal are other examples.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If people use knives or machetes in violent fights, they cannot be sure that they won't kill people .
Giving the police guns will just make these people more violent and they may kill the police.

I am sick of hearing people say "we shouldn't kill murderers" then complain that people are regularly killed on our streets.

If we want to stop violent attacks, lets kill the people responsible for them & teach others that violence is not acceptable and we wont tolerate it with just a few years in prison as punishment!

I don't agree that it makes us as bad as the criminals, and those who think that way would soon change their mind if these violent criminals killed somebody they love, when released from prison >

Every time these events are reported there will be others who think they can do the same.... and it will get worse.
Are you referencing the American Model?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-06-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Discipline in schools, non existent with the resultant juvenile delinquency.
Now who started that idea, I wonder?

Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top