Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 05:06 PM

Re: Dogs in this heat

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well I saw something this afternoon Dongles, that gladdened my heart.
There was an elderly chap in a motorised wheelchair going slowly along in the shade, and he had a happy looking little Beagle walking along next to him.

As I was looking at them, the chap stopped and poured some of his bottle of water into a small dog bowl for his pooch, which was happily lapped up.

The chap was only a few feet away from me, and I spoke to him and fussed his dog. I said how nice it was to see someone who had water with them for their dog.
He beamed, and was obviously very fond of his four legged friend. He said he had lost the dog bowl he usually took out with them, so had just been in a shop and bought him a new one.
The little dog was perfectly happy, wagging his tail and lapping out of his new bowl. I stroked him and I'm sure he smiled at me. The owner did as well.

I thought to myself, if an elderly disabled man like that can be thoughtful and care enough to take water out with him, why can't some of these able bodied twits who drag their dogs along, oblivious to the animal's needs!
I have seen something similar Mups. A lady who has trouble walking herself always carries a portable dog bowl (I thought it was a hat at first), then when she goes into the supermarket, she fills it up with water for her dog.

Another elderly man who I see go past every single day with two small dogs, was walking on his own today presumably because of the heat.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Chloe likes being stroked down her back with a picnic ice pack she 'nudges' me to continue when I stop.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Chloe likes being stroked down her back with a picnic ice pack she 'nudges' me to continue when I stop.
Aw that sounds nice. I wouldn't mind that myself.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well I saw something this afternoon Dongles, that gladdened my heart.
There was an elderly chap in a motorised wheelchair going slowly along in the shade, and he had a happy looking little Beagle walking along next to him.

As I was looking at them, the chap stopped and poured some of his bottle of water into a small dog bowl for his pooch, which was happily lapped up.

The chap was only a few feet away from me, and I spoke to him and fussed his dog. I said how nice it was to see someone who had water with them for their dog.
He beamed, and was obviously very fond of his four legged friend. He said he had lost the dog bowl he usually took out with them, so had just been in a shop and bought him a new one.
The little dog was perfectly happy, wagging his tail and lapping out of his new bowl. I stroked him and I'm sure he smiled at me. The owner did as well.

I thought to myself, if an elderly disabled man like that can be thoughtful and care enough to take water out with him, why can't some of these able bodied twits who drag their dogs along, oblivious to the animal's needs!
Totally agree.We have cold water and his own bowl when we walk Max.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Aw that sounds nice. I wouldn't mind that myself.
@ LD
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 12:00 PM

It's heading for 32 degrees here this afternoon, just been to library and saw four or five dogs being dragged along.
Their poor feet! I despair, I really do!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 08:24 PM

I take my dog for a walk every day, using my mobility scooter.

She hops on, between my feet for the quarter mile ride down the road to the fields. We walk on the shady side of the fields, beside the brook which she goes into, up to her chest, but she is only small. At the end of the walk, she hops back onto the scooter, we go up the hill home where she has a big drink and a biscuit. Being a Romanian rescue dog she seems to relish the sun and chooses to lay outside most of the day. The doors are open, so she can come and go as she pleases.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 09:25 PM

At the vets' today was an elderly lady with her mini dacshund in a shopping trolley. She had a bit of trouble getting the dog out it was very squirmy!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

13-07-2018, 01:53 PM

Vet on FB says not to give dogs ice cubes as the dogs body thinks it's freezing and makes it even hotter, thus causing heatstroke.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

13-07-2018, 02:11 PM

In this heat if you take your shoe off and place your bare foot on the pavement for 10 seconds, if you can. I tried this the other day and could only count to five before I could feel my foot burning. Then just think about your poor dogs feet.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top