Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Re: Frugality Gone Mad or a Good Idea?

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I've always felt uncomfortable about haggling (even in Spanish markets I paid what they asked for!) so maybe you could give some pointers to those of us that are completely unaquainted with how to approach haggling with companies that we wouldn't associate being open to the prospect Steve - I know I'd appreciate any advice/tactics you could give.
Difficult to answer you there ben because I learned the art of haggling in souqs in Arab countries because it's a way of life there.

In Majorca a few years ago my wife saw a beautiful hand-stitched tablecloth on a market stall that she fell in love with.

The price was 80 euros - at first.

By the time I'd finished we got it for 27 Euros and it was easily worth that - still got it too!

The main thing is always be polite and friendly and never show anger or displeasure, no matter what you get told because that alienates people.

It's persistence that pays off usually.

I once got a discount in a store here where the item was in a sale - usually a case where haggling doesn't work - but the item had damaged packaging which to me warranted a further reduction.

OK, it took me 40 minutes but I got money knocked off in the end!

In the souqs though it was a real challenge because they're the masters of haggling but you soon learn that one simple factor dominates, and that's time.

Sooner or later the winner in the haggling contest is the one that realises his "adversary" is not going to give up and, hopefully, it'll be you that gets a discount because they're losing time haggling with you when there are other customers around!!

If not you can walk away, still on good terms.

Yes, I know that sounds a simplification in the UK but where's the harm in just asking?! stevmk2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2013, 04:00 PM

I might just pluck up the courage and have a go Steve! I don't think the Brits, in general, are good at haggling and it's probably why we pay such high prices - I shall try to become more European

Thank you for answering.
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 09:05 AM

I'm so embarrased! Your opening piece about the miser could easily be me! We moved up bush to our farm 10 years ago and we are living his life. We have rain water tanks. When they are empty, we walk to the dam. We have no mains water, gas or electricity and no land line. It sounds crazy but we also don't have any bills for them either!. I get up about 15 minutes before hubby and boil a couple of kettles of water for him to wash in. We boil water for everything that needs hot water, dishes etc. Do our clothes at the laundrymat. We mainly run off a generator that charges batteries for electricity then use them at night. My oldest daughter asked hubby a question about her electricity bill and my youngest daughter, 12 then asked 'what's an electricity bill'? We adopted her at 3 and she has never seen a utility bill for anything in her life! Boy is she in for a surprise when she leaves home! I grow as much as I can and sell eggs, vegies and horse manure to people at hubbys work and make about $50 a week. In the beginning people thought we were crazy, but now quite a few of them envy our decision to go loopy. I don't miss the bills and when times get rough I remend myself about what it used to be like. Don't panic, I'm not a greeny, just anti social.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 12:38 PM

That's different Troopie, that's your choice and you are happy with it and the best of luck to you and yours, this chap is young and loaded so in my book that makes him a miserable git, a tightwad.
Although on second thoughts, if he wants to be a miserable git he's entitled to be one, who knows he might have a Scrooge type conversion this season and buy something special for his Christmas dinner, not the biggest turkey in the shop mind you, maybe the cheapest rasher, but it's a start.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 12:54 PM

That sounds just like a documentary on TV last week "Power to the Pococks" about a Scottish crofting family who lived without mains power. They wanted mains power, but it would have cost £200k to have it installed!

A really fascinating family. (film contains animal slaughter and butchery)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01hgfln
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 06:06 PM

I truly believe we've all been 'brainwashed' into central heating, to the point where we think we cannot do without it. This guy is just experimenting with true austerity to see how far it's possible to go. I've also tried it myself although not quite to his standard. A wash-down with one kettle of water off the gas stove is adequate for day-to-day cleanliness, with a good soak in the bath once a week, provided by my 25 year old gas boiler. Washing clothes frequently has become an obsession, when some can be worn for a lot longer than just one day - my washing machine is only used once a month. There are plenty of other ways to save on valuable and non-renewable resources, and any retired people should be at the cutting edge of real savings to show how it can be done, not just playing at it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 07:04 PM

When we lived in our car for nearly a year we found various ways of adapting and living, but I am not sure brainwashed into central heating covers it really, when we were really cold middle of January we dreamed of central heating and it was what really makes us stay here where we have it and not try to move from this flat. I almost describe my feelings about our boiler and central heating as true love !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 09:12 PM

I well remember as a child when I had to scrape the ice off the inside of the window on winter mornings and I'd get dressed under the blankets to keep warm.

Now in my early 60's, I like my home comforts. The house is at a reasonable temperature thanks to a high efficiency boiler and good insulation. I'm sure I could cut down on the bills, but sometimes I think people put more effort into trying to save than they actually do save.

I think I shall put my comfort first - even if it cost a few pounds more.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 10:12 PM

I also remember ice on the inside of the windows when I was very young - even though I had a gas fire in the bedroom it wasn't on all night. I think waking up to ice coated windows (indoors) was very common and most of us survived. Would I do it now? Nope.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2013, 10:37 PM

We didn't just have ice on the windows but also had an outside toilet. We managed though without grumbling about it. It was what we were used to at the time when we were children. Don't think I'd want those days back again though.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top