Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Warning!

The Hackers are active again!

Yestermorn I received an email from Amazon to say a payment for a DVD had been declined. Went on the first bus into town to do battle with NatWest. Ended up spending most of the morning in the bank talking to their fraud team. My account had been hacked again - less than 12 months after the last one. £55 had gone before someone realised it was not me and blocked the account - hence the non payment to Amazon.

The fraud also seemed to involve 02 (mobile people) so, being as their shop is just across the road from the bank, I went to talk to them. Big mistake. They did not want to know and were most unhelpful. Back to the bank.

The fraud team would not release the payment to Amazon - even though I assured them it was genuine. I have to wait for a new card to be issued. They did, however, allow me 5mins grace to draw enough money to see me through the week before cancelling my debit card.

Came home in a fit of the mean reds. Neighbour invited me in for a cup of tea - told him the sorry tale - seems exactly the same happened to him last week - £75 taken from his account with Barclay's.

Monday night - phone call from an upset friend - her account with HSBC - had been relieved of £270!

And these people want us to trust 'on line' banking? Fat chance. I know we will have the money returned - but that doesn't cancel out the embarrassment, inconvenience, and distress caused.

Be watchful out there - the world is shark infested!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Re: Warning!

Oh dear Tabs, that's horrid!
I've been with Nat West for years so I will keep an eye on things!
My daughter has had a lot of trouble with that happening with Halifax, hacked several times, usually people in foreign countries for some reason.

I hope you're back to normal soon x
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Oh dear Tabs, that's horrid!
I've been with Nat West for years so I will keep an eye on things!
My daughter has had a lot of trouble with that happening with Halifax, hacked several times, usually people in foreign countries for some reason.

I hope you're back to normal soon x
Not sure I was ever normal to begin with, TessA !

They promised Friday - then added - Monday at the latest. We will see.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 02:37 PM

I refuse to do online banking. I have the usual cards and nothing is on my tablets or laptop about my monetary movement.
I have heard and read so much of this web fraud. I can’t believe that people say “it can’t happen to me.”
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 06:27 PM

Every time I go into Santander, they always try to push online banking, I always refuse,
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 07:13 PM

Online banking is as safe as houses.

What isn't safe is computer illiterate people using their PCs and laptops and iPads endlessly clinking on things they don't understand. e.g Spending hours on Facebook and ooooh look it's another video of some cat or dog doing something funny and so on. Click click click and you've gotten a Trojan on your machine without knowing it. Most likely a key logger.

I will say what I have said on OFF since I joined, always surf the net with JAVASCRIPT DISABLED. That way you won't get nasty scripts running which deliver viruses. Yes, some things won't then run, like video clips, but you can always re-enable it if needed for a specific website.

In terms of bank accounts and NatWest do what I do.

Open up a savings account, can't remember the name of it but it's just a bank account which has no bank cards and you NEVER EVER use it for online purchases. You dump all you money in there and regularly just transfer money from it to your ordinary current account. Enough for all your regular debits and spending needs. That way if your bank cards or current account details are compromised they can only steal the small amount in your current account. The rest stays safe in your savings account.
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 07:23 PM

Sorry to hear about this sadly now rather common occurrence!

I do worry as my whole life including all my banking, cards, ect is on both my ipads (one is a back up incase the other conks out ! )
Also the same on my on iphone,
I do a monthly 'change my passwords' ritual.
I've become so reliant upon online i've got to try & scale it all back.
Or suffer the consequences!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 07:34 PM

No online banking here either do all with paypal
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Online banking is as safe as houses.

Sorry, Realist, I have to disagree.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Well done, Nat West, my new card just arrived!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top