Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Re: New online security checks exclude people without mobile phones or decent signal

Omah, please accept my apologies. I started my post as a thread as I didn't realise that you had already started the same. I quickly turned it into a post as soon as Meg made it part of your thread. Humble genuflected apologies again for treading on your toes with this topic. Hope I'm forgiven!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 07:17 PM

Re: New online security checks exclude people without mobile phones or decent signal

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
How hard is it? My bank just sends my mobile a security number to be entered, it is even easier because I do most of my banking on my phone anyway and my phone needs my finger print to open.

So easy. I can't believe the UK has that many black spots to be a problem. Sometimes when I am travelling I might have to use my phone via my Telstra wifi in a town on the way but it isn't that difficult a problem to over come.
You are kidding Bruce! There are more blackspots than signals here in the UK. It is absolutely rubbish. In Wales alone, one is lucky to get a signal at all once out of the towns. I spent my whole holiday there this year unable to use my laptop or mobile unless I travelled one mile into town. You are very lucky.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

31-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Zuileka, if you have chosen your PC desktop as your chosen device, it's as Mups asked - How are you going to get your code if you are shopping in the high street? a computer is a lot heavier than a phone!!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I did thanks Baz. I was definitely seeing double! too heavy with the submit button I think. Have rectified it though, thanks.
To be honest I thought it was me seeing double but on checking again it was there twice. Worse was to come though. I could have sworn that was the first post on a brand new thread, although when I checked again that first post of your thread had become a post on another thread. Talk about confused!

Then everything became clear – I read Omah's post #16 and your post #21 – duplicate threads had been started!

Just pleased that I am not going completely round the twist!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 07:56 PM

This whole mobile phone checking thing is a nonsense. It's clearly part of a more sinister privacy invasion and tracking agenda.

Think it through.

The bank presents this whole thing as a way to increase security and reduce fraud. Previously we just kept passwords and when making online purchases we get asked for certain letters or digits from our passwords. That system worked just fine so why are they now wanting to use our mobile phones?

Now let's just examine the true situation

How does the bank know which mobile phone number to send the code to when you make an online purchase?

Answer because it's the number YOU registered with the bank in YOUR bank account.

So what happens if you decide to change your mobile phone, switch to a new network, or lose your mobile?

Answer, you'll simply log into YOUR bank account online, validate yourself by giving your login and password and then change the registered mobile number details.

Gosh ! So we're actually still 100% reliant on a login and password as we were before !!!!

So if someone else gets your password for your bank account, then they can just go in and change the registered mobile number to their own and hey presto they can engage in fraud just as before.

So this mobile nonsense changes precisely nothing. It doesn't solve any security issues, we are still beholden to normal login and passwords with our bank accounts . . . so why are they really doing it???

We are on the way to human RFID chip implants and likely DNA identification. National databases where we are all bagged and tagged, no privacy, just a number. Orwell was right!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

We are on the way to human RFID chip implants and likely DNA identification. National databases where we are all bagged and tagged, no privacy, just a number. Orwell was right!
I am sure you have your tin foil hat to keep you safe.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Omah, please accept my apologies. I started my post as a thread as I didn't realise that you had already started the same. I quickly turned it into a post as soon as Meg made it part of your thread. Humble genuflected apologies again for treading on your toes with this topic. Hope I'm forgiven!
No apologies needed but I appreciate your comments .....

My thread was started a month ago and had slipped over the horizon .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Already had a problem with this a couple of weeks ago. Mrs LD tried to buy something online, from a company we use all the time but she couldn't complete the payment because the bank sent a text to her mobile - which she no longer has. Tried a different card and it went through OK.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Zuileka, if you have chosen your PC desktop as your chosen device, it's as Mups asked - How are you going to get your code if you are shopping in the high street? a computer is a lot heavier than a phone!!
I don't shop with a card in the high street
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I made a purchase a couple of days ago, which was from people I have not dealt with before.

The payment wouldn't go through until I had verified it was me buying.
I then got a text from my bank giving me a verification code, which I had to type in on my order for the payment to go through.

My phone wasn't on at the time, so I had to turn it on quickly. The code was waiting for me.
I typed the code into the company I was buying from and that was the end of it.
I got a message saying payment had been accepted.

I don't consider that much hassle, and I am glad my bank checked the authenticity before it released the funds.

Aerolor, if you use your lappy to verify payments, what happens if you use your card when you are out somewhere? Would you have to take your lap top with you incase the payment is queried?
Re your last paragraph .
So far as I’m aware from speaking to my bank this new security is about online purchases with your card .

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top