Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Re: More 'save the planet' crap

Iceland informed home delivery shoppers that they were doing away with plastic bags and I was eager to find out how they were going to deliver my frozen goods and a couple of fresh goods such as my uncut Tiger Loaf.
I was not looking forward to seeing them laying out my goods directly into trays that have had such bad publicity lately. Hello, anything frozen was delivered in the usual plastic bags. so was my loaf of bread. The driver looked frazzled because it was taking him twice as long to deliver and take goods out of the tray at each stop instead of handing over already filled plastic bags.

Two weeks later they claimed the scheme was not working and they have reverted to using plastic bags!!!

At least we are never short of our own bags though when shopping at other supermarkets.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Those 30p mesh bags were introduced in my Sainsbury's last week. I thought no way would they expect you to buy a bag for separate vegetables so I took just the one bag and filled it with sprouts, carrots, a couple of baking potatoes and bananas, took it to the checkout and presented it with a smile The till operator didn't say a word, just took out the various items, put them through the scanner and I had to repack my veg again at the other end!

Looking forward to next week when I buy all my different casserole veg
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:19 PM

What will they do about the frozen peas and veg, what will they be packaged in I wonder
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
And who gets all the 30ps? I know the cost of the plastic carrier bags supposedly goes to charities to pay for the MD's BMW but what about these veg bags? Does Sainsbury's pocket it, thank you very much?
We're being ripped off..LD...I'm going to do what Mags has done.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:29 PM

I already take shopping bags, this is just for loose vegetables. So are you saying that I now have to carry a basket, a shopping bag and a box?
Why not?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:30 PM

So if Sainsbury's is serious about saving the planet, what about stopping all those useless vouchers and saving some trees instead.

I understand your frustration. Just a comment on saving trees.
A lot of paper is made from recycled waste.
One mill I visited used sugar cane waste.

Where wood is used, it is often fast growing softwood trees that are grown in sustainable forests.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Why are customers at supermarkets making this lack of bags or the correct bags their problem? It's the problem of the supermarket so let them suffer from their lack of supplying them!

The local greengrocer has brown paper bags hanging on a string close to the fruit and veg. on sale. Fruit and veg. purchased is put into the bags, weighed at the till, taken home and the bags recycled after the contents have been put away. Why cannot supermarkets do the same?

Morrisons now use brown paper bags, they have on the odd occasion run out of them. That is not my problem so fruit and veg. is placed in the basket / trolley loose, the checkout person then has to do what is necessary to weigh the produce. When it is realised this makes for longer queues at the checkouts so some shoppers will be annoyed at this delay and will shop elsewhere, losing them money. When that happens something will be done very quickly to prevent continuation of this problem.

Plastic carrier bags from before when they started charging for them are still being used for my shopping. I have a bag of them in the boot of the car and a pocket of them in my jacket whenever I shop. I have never bought a plastic carrier bag yet and don't ever intend to.

A large, reusable shopping bag, given away free by one of the supermarkets when all this started, has been used now for four or five years so no waste or recycling there. When these need replacing the supplying supermarket (Sainsbury's) replace them free of charge.

The sooner we, the customers, show disapproval of what is happening by making the supermarkets lose customers so losing money, the sooner they will take responsibility. Money talks, especially the loss of it in profits!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:33 PM

If buying oranges we keep the net bag and re-use for groceries sold loose.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:34 PM

The answer is to use a supermarket that 'works' for you. Doing away with plastic bags for loose veg and charging 30p for a 'save the planet' bag 'works' for the supermarket and not you. That is why i have not shopped in Tesco's, Sainsburys and Asda for over 10 years because the way they do things does not 'work' for me. I want to have an easy experience when shopping, not find the supermarket has put obstacles in my way just so they achieve some kind of agenda.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:37 PM

I believe in saving the planet so I don’t mind taking a little trouble to avoid un necessary plastic .
Doing anything worthwhile takes a bit of effort .
I loathe food shopping and don’t care if I chuck it all in a cardboard box .

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top