Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 06:00 PM

You can teach an old Dog new tricks.

Oh heck, had my little 6yr old great-granddaughter came to visit me yesterday while her mum went shopping. She loves coming to see me because she knows we will be baking or making something nice. But prior to her visit, she informed me over the phone that she already had her ingredients in her little backpack but wouldn’t tell me what we were making until she got here. I was intrigued!

Once she got here, on went her little pinny, washed her hands and then proceeded to put her ingredients onto the kitchen table. Three packets of Strawberry Jelly, a packet of Gelatin and a tub of whipping cream. Ey? I thought to myself, Jelly and Cream? But no, she then asked me to bring the laptop into the kitchen so we could follow the recipe.on Youtube and I could see the finished dessert.

You don’t have to do anything Nana, just watch how I do it so you will know when you make it. Could you get me your small roasting tin and line it with paper for me,(greaseproof) oh, and I will need your mixing bowl as well.
(proper little madam).

So off she started. Three packets of Jelly were cut into squares with my small kitchen safety scissors, put into a mixing bowl with 750ml of boiling water and 1 tablespoon of gelatin. Stirring until dissolved. Then we added 250ml whipping cream and stirred it through the mixture. She then poured it into the small roasting pan and asked me to open the fridge door whilst she very carefully carried it over.
Nana, you must not touch that now until tomorrow. It’s for you and granddad from me.

Oh heck, I thought, when are we going to eat all that lot. But. after thanking her, I have done as I have been told and waited until this morning to take it out of the fridge. I was very surprised, the cream had separated from the jelly (as she told me it would) and it looked very attractive as two alternative sections, Jelly on the bottom and set creamy topping on the top. I was able to cut 8 really nice sized slices. It tasted really nice. Guess what we will be having for dessert for the next 4 days? But have to admit, it was so nice I am going to try it myself using Lime Jellies for mine as I love Citrus desserts and this one is a doddle.
Of course, I had to phone her to tell her what a clever little girl she was and a big thank you from both of us.

I’ve put the video above so you can see what the slices look like when set. It's American obviously but still the same. Thought it would be nice for anyone to make with children, or even for yourselves as I intend to with Lime flavour and extra whipped up cream. I'm sure you can use a low-fat cream or Nestle's cream instead if you want
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Re: You can teach an old Dog new tricks.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Oh heck, had my little 6yr old great-granddaughter came to visit me yesterday while her mum went shopping. She loves coming to see me because she knows we will be baking or making something nice. But prior to her visit, she informed me over the phone that she already had her ingredients in her little backpack but wouldn’t tell me what we were making until she got here. I was intrigued!

Once she got here, on went her little pinny, washed her hands and then proceeded to put her ingredients onto the kitchen table. Three packets of Strawberry Jelly, a packet of Gelatin and a tub of whipping cream. Ey? I thought to myself, Jelly and Cream? But no, she then asked me to bring the laptop into the kitchen so we could follow the recipe.on Youtube and I could see the finished dessert.

You don’t have to do anything Nana, just watch how I do it so you will know when you make it. Could you get me your small roasting tin and line it with paper for me,(greaseproof) oh, and I will need your mixing bowl as well.
(proper little madam).

So off she started. Three packets of Jelly were cut into squares with my small kitchen safety scissors, put into a mixing bowl with 750ml of boiling water and 1 tablespoon of gelatin. Stirring until dissolved. Then we added 250ml whipping cream and stirred it through the mixture. She then poured it into the small roasting pan and asked me to open the fridge door whilst she very carefully carried it over.
Nana, you must not touch that now until tomorrow. It’s for you and granddad from me.

Oh heck, I thought, when are we going to eat all that lot. But. after thanking her, I have done as I have been told and waited until this morning to take it out of the fridge. I was very surprised, the cream had separated from the jelly (as she told me it would) and it looked very attractive as two alternative sections, Jelly on the bottom and set creamy topping on the top. I was able to cut 8 really nice sized slices. It tasted really nice. Guess what we will be having for dessert for the next 4 days? But have to admit, it was so nice I am going to try it myself using Lime Jellies for mine as I love Citrus desserts and this one is a doddle.
Of course, I had to phone her to tell her what a clever little girl she was and a big thank you from both of us.

I’ve put the video above so you can see what the slices look like when set. It's American obviously but still the same. Thought it would be nice for anyone to make with children, or even for yourselves as I intend to with Lime flavour and extra whipped up cream. I'm sure you can use a low-fat cream or Nestle's cream instead if you want
She sounds like an Aussie to me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Re: You can teach an old Dog new tricks.

That's really impressive. Looks good and hopefully tastes good.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top