Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 01:16 PM

A Lovely Lime Sponge Cake.

Good morning all,

Really weird at the moment making a cake. I am so used to the hoards descending on us and my cakes disappearing down little throats practically the same day it is made.
I miss that dreadfully, but these are risky times and know it is for our own safety.

So anyway, I’ve still got to do things to keep myself busy, so had a go at making this Lime Sponge cake yesterday. I only made it because the shop didn’t have unwaxed lemons that I needed to make a Lemon Sponge (as well as no bloomin’ flour of any description - again!) but spotted the Limes and thought - why not. I found a nice recipe online (photos below) and was really surprised at just how lovely and refreshing it tasted accompanied by our afternoon mug of tea. (These rotten times demand a mug rather than a cup and saucer!!|) It made a really nice change from Lemon sponge cake.

HWMO doesn’t like plain cake (even if iced) so I made a Buttercream filling for the centre which really made a difference, but I’m sure this cake will taste just as nice without the centre filling. I will put it in the recipe but IT IS OPTIONAL.

Herewith the recipe. It makes enough for 12 slices, baked in a 9inch square cake tin.
Bake time is 35 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 180C / 350F / 160 Fan / Gas 4.
Grease and line a 23cm/9inch square tin.

MAKING THE SPONGE USING THE ALL-IN-ONE METHOD.
170g / 6 oz Butter spread or softened butter
170g / 6 oz Caster sugar
225g / 8 oz Self-raising flour
1.½ teaspoons Baking powder
3 Large or Medium eggs (you are ok for either in a baking recipe unless the egg quantity is 4 eggs or more)
3 tablespoons Milk
Grated zest of 2 Limes

Place all the cake ingredients into a bowl, ensuring you sieve all the dry ingredients in. Only mix until all combined (about 2 minutes with an electric whisk)

Tip the mixture into the tin, spread out to the edges and level with a palette knife.

Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until the sponge springs back to touch or an inserted skewer comes out clean.

Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a rack to cool

MAKING THE BUTTERCREAM FILLING (Optional)
225g Butter, softened
350g Icing sugar
25ml Fresh Lime Juice

MAKING THE ICING
Juice of 1.½ Limes
225g / 8oz Icing Sugar
Whatever decoration you want
Lime zest.

Make the icing by adding enough of the Lime juice to the sieved Icing Sugar to make a pourable but not too runny icing (or it will run off the cake). The original recipe said 2 Limes WRONG - promise you that is too runny, I used 1.½ Lime juice and the icing was just the right consistency. You know the old saying, ‘’you can always add more’’.

Pour the icing onto the cake and allow to spread.

If you have extra Limes, decorate the top with some zest.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Iced Lime Cake -all-in-one method- - Fab Food 4 All 28-03-2020 10-49-44.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	12048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Iced Lime Cake -all-in-one method- - Fab Food 4 All 28-03-2020 10-49-05.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	12049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Iced Lime Cake -all-in-one method- - Fab Food 4 All 28-03-2020 10-48-42.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	12050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Iced Lime Cake -all-in-one method- - Fab Food 4 All 28-03-2020 10-48-22.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	12051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Iced Lime Cake -all-in-one method- - Fab Food 4 All 28-03-2020 10-46-09.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	12052  

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 10:22 PM

Re: A Lovely Lime Sponge Cake.

Sounds delicious!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 11:14 PM

Re: A Lovely Lime Sponge Cake.

Oh wow, how delicious is that!

Phoned older sis today and as always (I should remember) she was in the middle of a baking session. I said I will do more when I am in my new kitchen. She was doing a batch of soup, a lemon meringue and something else I can't remember, but usually a cake or two.

Wish I could make the lime sponge but there's only me...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top