Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 04:47 PM

Re: UK broadband data caps removed during pandemic

If you have proper access to a 4G network and an adequate data plan, you could always use a smartphone as a `hotspot`. I do some surfing, including coming to OFF using my phone quite regularly when I'm out and about

The 4G speed check I've just done is:

12mps download

6mps upload

Both quite adequate for general internet use and some low-end film/TV streaming.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 05:03 PM

I don't know if I have done it right or not, but my main computer's speed test said:

Ping - (what the 'eck's that?) 21
Download 46.63
Upload 2.61

Does that sound about right?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If you have proper access to a 4G network and an adequate data plan, you could always use a smartphone as a `hotspot`. I do some surfing, including coming to OFF using my phone quite regularly when I'm out and about

12mps download

6mps upload

Both quite adequate for general internet use and some low-end film/TV streaming.
On my BT 4G phone , Ofcom say:

17mps download

3.8mps upload
Which? say:

11.3mps download

3.9mps upload
Compared to my Zen landline, Ofcom say:

70.6mps download

18.5mps upload
Which say:

71.4mps download

17.3mps upload
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 11:27 PM

12mps download

6mps upload

My 4G tests are about 60mbps down and 40Mbps up - I only discovered this recently when using my phone as a hotspot. It is nearly as fast as my fibre connection that cost me twice as much (though the fibre has a 500Gb download limit)

My mobile phone service has been loading me up with data for the past few months to the point I now have 60Gb this month as a double offer. I use less than 1Gb on my phone and less than 2Gb if I go mad sharing it as a hotspot.

My service was originally unlimited domestic and international calls and texts plus 2.5GB of data, they have added more data until I now have 30Gb a month all for the same cost.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
On my BT 4G phone , Ofcom say:

Which? say:

Compared to my Zen landline, Ofcom say:

Which say:
I'm on GiffGaff which shares the O2 network so while adequate for my needs, they may give actual O2 customers a better download/upload?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

30-03-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My 4G tests are about 60mbps down and 40Mbps up - I only discovered this recently when using my phone as a hotspot. It is nearly as fast as my fibre connection that cost me twice as much (though the fibre has a 500Gb download limit)

My mobile phone service has been loading me up with data for the past few months to the point I now have 60Gb this month as a double offer. I use less than 1Gb on my phone and less than 2Gb if I go mad sharing it as a hotspot.

My service was originally unlimited domestic and international calls and texts plus 2.5GB of data, they have added more data until I now have 30Gb a month all for the same cost.
Wow. That's an excellent 4G service you have there - I'd be tempted to use it all the time if it's cheaper than a standard broadband connection.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

30-03-2020, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't know if I have done it right or not, but my main computer's speed test said:

Download 46.63
Upload 2.61

Ping is where your PC sends a quick request to a server to see if it's ready to take the next part of the broadband test. Apparently it has taken 21milliseconds to transmit and receive the ping.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2020, 11:55 PM

Ping is where your PC sends a quick request to a server to see if it's ready to take the next part of the broadband test. Apparently it has taken 21milliseconds to transmit and receive the ping.

Thank you Judd, but is that good or bad?
And what about the upload and download numbers?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 12:46 AM

Wow. That's an excellent 4G service you have there - I'd be tempted to use it all the time if it's cheaper than a standard broadband connection.
It is not bad but, as I say I have little practical use for it.

Because of the C-19 thing I am watching a lot of Netflix and download TV shows, in fact I am considering paying an extra $10 a month for unlimited downloads on my fibre being stuck at home as we are.

3 and 4G has been a godsend for seniors who would not otherwise be online either through their phone or tablet.

BTW I am on the Optus network and their coverage is not as good as Telstra in the bush BUT it is getting better. Nothing worse than being in the middle of nowhere within spitting distance of a tower and having no service because it is only a Telstra (think BT) tower. I always carry a Telstra SIM when I travel but fortunately I have to use it less and less.

Also I should say that generally speaking Australian downloads speeds are crap because this government skimped on the NBN changing from fibre to the home to fibre to the node half way through. I am one of the lucky ones who got the former. Singapore offers 1Gbps for the same price as our current maximum of 100Mbps.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Download 46.63
Upload 2.61

That sounds great Mups

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top