Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 09:58 AM

How can I use an Android Phone as a PC Webcam

I have read several articles regarding the use of an Android Phone as a PC Webcam but the results seem inconsistent.

Has anyone tried any procedure with success .....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 10:46 AM

Re: How can I use an Android Phone as a PC Webcam

If you mean for a video web chat then you can use Facebook Messenger or perhaps download Whatsapp?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
If you mean for a video web chat then you can use Facebook Messenger or perhaps download Whatsapp?
What I'm looking for is a viable app to enable my Android phone to became a "webcam" for use on my Windows PC, e.g.:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...7apps.droidcam

DroidCam turns your Android device into a wireless webcam. Chat using "DroidCam Webcam" on your computer, including Sound and Picture. The app works with a PC Client component that installs the webcam drivers, and connects the computer with the Android device.
I spent some time yesterday installing/uninstalling apps on my laptop, which has a built-in webcam, only to decide, in the end, to use the Windows 10 version. I'd rather not spend the same amount of time on my PC if someone on OFF has already successfully implemented a viable solution.

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 11:32 AM

Sorry Omah, you've lost me there mate...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-04-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sorry Omah, you've lost me there mate...
Here's a normal plug-in webcam for PC:

I want to use my phone to do the same thing .....
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 07:20 PM

Being someone in the computer trade, i am a bit confused as to what is it you are trying to achieve. You say your laptop has a built in webcam, therefore what it wrong with using that?. The phone app you mention, 'Droidcam', reading what it does, it does what you are wanting so why not use that?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-04-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Being someone in the computer trade, i am a bit confused as to what is it you are trying to achieve. You say your laptop has a built in webcam, therefore what it wrong with using that?. The phone app you mention, 'Droidcam', reading what it does, it does what you are wanting so why not use that?
Sorry, I missed out the important word "desktop" .....

The laptop has a built-in webcam, the desktop doesn't.

Although DroidCam has some negative reviews I have installed it, on phone and desktop PC, and successfully interfaced it with Skype. It's not great (being the free version) but it will suffice for now.

What I didn't want was a product that was too complex for my needs, like CyberLink YouCam, which I tried on my laptop yesterday, so that's why I was asking for advice.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Sorry, I missed out the important word "desktop" .....

The laptop has a built-in webcam, the desktop doesn't.

Although DroidCam has some negative reviews I have installed it, on phone and desktop PC, and successfully interfaced it with Skype. It's not great (being the free version) but it will suffice for now.

What I didn't want was a product that was too complex for my needs, like CyberLink YouCam, which I tried on my laptop yesterday, so that's why I was asking for advice.
I appreciate what you are trying to do but wouldn't it be simpler to just buy a cheap HD webcam online for your desktop. I've been using a Microsoft HD webcam for a few years now, mainly for skype with relatives abroad and the quality has been excellent, I think cost me £50 3-4 years ago.

Or is buying a usb webcam out of the question and you'd much prefer to do it with things you already have and thus not have to pay for anything, yes?

Edit: What phone apps have you used because from investigating I see there are many apps but extremely limited on how good they are. The most common ones that keep coming up are

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.pas.webcam

mCam

and DroidCam
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-04-2020, 08:45 PM

I appreciate what you are trying to do but wouldn't it be simpler to just buy a cheap HD webcam online for your desktop. I've been using a Microsoft HD webcam for a few years now, mainly for skype with relatives abroad and the quality has been excellent, I think cost me £50 3-4 years ago.

Or is buying a usb webcam out of the question and you'd much prefer to do it with things you already have and thus not have to pay for anything, yes?
I've bought several types of bodycam over the years and now they languish in drawers. I've bought several dashcams but only use one in my car. I have a couple of smartphones but only use one at all times.

So, I thought, no more cams and use the spare phone .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-04-2020, 08:52 PM

I see there are many apps but extremely limited on how good they are.
Exactly ..... hence my request .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top