Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 03:39 PM

Re: PPE's

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
What material is used to make ppe? lf it is made of cotton why cant it be laundered for reuse?
We used to have laundries attached to the hospital system where all the working clothes and bed sheets etc were sterilised with steam and then pressed and returned to the appropriate hospital! The only thing thrown away was surgical dressings etc which were burnt on the spot in the laundry furnace? Why did we change this system? I despair of human logic sometimes??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Today's surgical gowns are made of plastic-embedded paper (like the onesies you see SOCO peeps wear in TV crime dramas). These can't be laundered. Scrubs are made of polyester/cotton so can be laundered and some are at HOME by some nurses and doctors. Others are put into the same bins as the gowns, which then go on to be incinerated.

Not everyone can wear natural rubber latex gloves because they are allergic to them but these are intended for single use only - they cost pennies per 1000 to make and ££s to buy in this country. The coloured gloves you see being worn are, most likely, made from synthetic nitrile rubber latex, which can be used by all, can be washed in hot (not boiling) water and dried for re-use. They can be sterilised using hospital grade disinfectant. These are much more expensive to make because the raw materials are more expensive to manufacture. (I've got a supply of these - they're great for when cleaning up oil and grease spills.)
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Today's surgical gowns are made of plastic-embedded paper (like the onesies you see SOCO peeps wear in TV crime dramas). These can't be laundered. Scrubs are made of polyester/cotton so can be laundered and some are at HOME by some nurses and doctors. Others are put into the same bins as the gowns, which then go on to be incinerated.

Not everyone can wear natural rubber latex gloves because they are allergic to them but these are intended for single use only - they cost pennies per 1000 to make and ££s to buy in this country. The coloured gloves you see being worn are, most likely, made from synthetic nitrile rubber latex, which can be used by all, can be washed in hot (not boiling) water and dried for re-use. They can be sterilised using hospital grade disinfectant. These are much more expensive to make because the raw materials are more expensive to manufacture. (I've got a supply of these - they're great for when cleaning up oil and grease spills.)
Thanks for the info Percy you have answered one of my questions
The question of what the ppe is made from. thank you!
But the other questions l asked still stand??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Reportedly (although you won't see it on the anti-government BBC), there are 80 tons of PPE equipment on its way today from Turkey. No doubt, knowing Erdogan, there will be some quid pro quo but as long as the equipment arrives and is put into service, that's of secondary importance.
Very Good, and the sooner they reach the Hospitals, Staff and Carers the better.
There are lots of manufactures in the Rag Trade UK, only to willing to make these garments, but still waiting for permission.
Even without the Virus as these PPE's are essential for the NHS, surely there should always be a Stock in Hand?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Very Good, and the sooner they reach the Hospitals, Staff and Carers the better.
There are lots of manufactures in the Rag Trade UK, only to willing to make these garments, but still waiting for permission.
Even without the Virus as these PPE's are essential for the NHS, surely there should always be a Stock in Hand?
I agree Azure, why we haveto go halfway round the globe using
the just in time strategy for simple things is beyond me?
Medical requirements should not have to follow normal commercial
avenues and practices and we should always keep a reserve supply
to hand as you say!
Just been announced that an RAF plane has left uk for Turkey
to pick up the shipment!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Reportedly (although you won't see it on the anti-government BBC), there are 80 tons of PPE equipment on its way today from Turkey. No doubt, knowing Erdogan, there will be some quid pro quo but as long as the equipment arrives and is put into service, that's of secondary importance.
Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I agree Azure, why we have to go halfway round the globe using the just in time strategy for simple things is beyond me?

Medical requirements should not have to follow normal commercial avenues and practices and we should always keep a reserve supply to hand as you say!

Just been announced that an RAF plane has left uk for Turkey to pick up the shipment!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
Donkeyman – I was about to post that and have done so anyway for anyone who's interested, link to BBC News below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52351029
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 07:47 PM

Even if the governments emergency PPE stockpile was at the high levels it used to be, it would still not have been sufficient for a full on pandemic lasting months. It has been stated by 'those in the know' that many of today's PPE has a shelf life due to the fact that some of the materials used to make PPE degrades over a long period of time.

Now just how is it going to appear to the public if some whistleblower said that the government is spending upwards of £20-30 million a year to replace stock piles of PPE for that 'just in case' scenario of the country facing a pandemic. Opposition party leaders and their MP's would go on the warpath, claiming the government is wasting money which could be better spent on other things because the chances of a pandemic are very slim. The media would also do the same, the purpose of shaming the government in wasting money on replenishing stocks of medical supplies for an event that is not likely to happen.

If the government kept stocks high they would be accused of wasting public money for something that was never likely to happen. If they kept stocks at a more manageable level then they would get accused of not keeping their eye on the ball. Funny how that actual scenario is happening now.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->

If the government kept stocks high they would be accused of wasting public money for something that was never likely to happen. If they kept stocks at a more manageable level then they would get accused of not keeping their eye on the ball. Funny how that actual scenario is happening now.
That's exactly what I think. The problem is that stocks of PPE have to be replaced every so often. I remember the scandal about the cost of rubber gloves a couple of years ago. That probably included warehouse costs & transportation etc. I guess by the end of this we will all be experts on how the system works.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 06:46 AM

Hi

I have to disagree.

Every first tier Country plans for a Pandemic and other disasters.

We are the fifth largest economy in the World, the costs are negligible

NHS Spending per year, £130 BILLION.

Pandemic planning £70 million maximum.

We cut it.

We spend far more than that on elective surgery alone, things that do not need doing.

It is less than 0.01% of Budget.

It is far less than the cost of the failed Garden Bridge in London.

It is a huge failure of the system, Government, Civil Service, NHS and Public Health England.

The failure is ongoing.

Both the Mail and the Telegraph, both Government Supporting have run horror stories about the ongoing mess.

In particular UK Companies exporting PPE because they have had no response from the system when it was offered to the NHS.

It is the same with testing, other countries are doing far more.

I am in no way claiming that Labour or any other Party could do better, it is the entire system which is at fault.

Other Countries have done far better than us, with no shortage of PPE or testing and are coming out of lockdown,

This gives them a huge economic advantage.

It is not Rocket Science to resolve the problem.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have to disagree.

Every first tier Country plans for a Pandemic and other disasters.

We are the fifth largest economy in the World, the costs are negligible

NHS Spending per year, £130 BILLION.

Pandemic planning £70 million maximum.

We cut it.

We spend far more than that on elective surgery alone, things that do not need doing.

It is less than 0.01% of Budget.

It is far less than the cost of the failed Garden Bridge in London.

It is a huge failure of the system, Government, Civil Service, NHS and Public Health England.

The failure is ongoing.

Both the Mail and the Telegraph, both Government Supporting have run horror stories about the ongoing mess.

In particular UK Companies exporting PPE because they have had no response from the system when it was offered to the NHS.

It is the same with testing, other countries are doing far more.

I am in no way claiming that Labour or any other Party could do better, it is the entire system which is at fault.

Other Countries have done far better than us, with no shortage of PPE or testing and are coming out of lockdown,

This gives them a huge economic advantage.

It is not Rocket Science to resolve the problem.
Ive just read the ppe shortage is global
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Ive just read the ppe shortage is global
Hi

It is not however equal.

The UK is suffering more than other First Tier Countries from a lack of PPE and testing.

Other countries are handing out facemasks to the public, their hospitals and carers have supplies.

We have UK capacity to make things, companies who can have been contacting the Government and Civil Service and are not getting responses.

It is action we need, not excuses.

Patriotism is fine, reality needs to be addressed.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top