Join for free
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 09:49 PM

Radio Caroline founder died yesterday...

Founder of Radio Caroline Ronan O'Rahilly died yesterday aged 79:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-52362113

Gosh, the iconic words 'Radio Caroline' - took me right back to the 60s and listening with my tranny under the bedclothes when I was supposed to be sleeping

Thanks Ronan. It was brilliant. RIP
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 10:17 PM

Re: Radio Caroline founder died yesterday...

I loved Radio Caroline back along it was the only radio station I listened to, on my little Tranny.

RIP Ronan O'Rahilly.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 07:22 AM

I well remember the days of the 'pirate radio ships', as they were called – the early days of pop music – The Beatles, The Who and The Rolling Stones and all those who followed in Britain's rock 'n' roll revolution.

https://time.com/4955482/pirate-radi...-rock-history/

RIP Ronan, thanks for all those early memories of pop music!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 08:18 AM

Good old days when I was just leaving school I was listening to Caroline/Luxembourg and Radio North Sea when it was transmitting.
All great stations with great music and great DJ's.

I did some cabbing some years ago and was working in Brixton and tuning in to one of the many pirate stations still broadcasting in that area.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 09:58 AM

I loved listening to Radio Caroline, the first introduction to Tony Blackburn.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 12:43 PM

I remember trying to tune into Luxemburg on a Sunday evening to get the top twenty,.... but the memory fades... what was it that happened at Keynsham at Bristol, was that something to do with Radio Luxemburg ?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 01:42 PM

What a guy, what a feat, setting up a pirate radio station, an old ferry boat in international waters, two fingers up to auntie beeb and record company rule, I was 12, this was anarchy, yeah.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 03:28 PM

I could never get Radio Caroline on my trannie but I could get R. Luxembourg. I never knew R. Caroline was still broadcasting either.

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I remember trying to tune into Luxemburg on a Sunday evening to get the top twenty,.... but the memory fades... what was it that happened at Keynsham at Bristol, was that something to do with Radio Luxembourg ?
I seem to remember it was something to do with either betting on horse races or the football pools. Just Googled it:

Wiki says. "Horace Cyril Batchelor was an English gambling advertiser. He was best known during the 1950s and 1960s as an advertiser on Radio Luxembourg. He advertised a way to win money by predicting the results of football matches, sponsoring programmes on the station."
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I could never get Radio Caroline on my trannie but I could get R. Luxembourg. I never knew R. Caroline was still broadcasting either.

I seem to remember it was something to do with either betting on horse races or the football pools. Just Googled it:

Wiki says. "Horace Cyril Batchelor was an English gambling advertiser. He was best known during the 1950s and 1960s as an advertiser on Radio Luxembourg. He advertised a way to win money by predicting the results of football matches, sponsoring programmes on the station."
That's the one Percy, I remember it now...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top