Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 05:16 PM

Lightmeters are they sill relevent?

With modern day cameras, this is a question I asked myself.

The answer I think is yes under some circumstances. If for example (as below) taking a photo from bright light into shade I found using a light meter ( Seconic L-308s) which I have can make a difference

Photo from camera (both totally unedited) . Camera in program mode (auto) and auto white balance and ISO the same
camera

light meter camera is set to. Reading taken in the shade area

so can you trust a camera in auto mode for the best results?
Ok wIith my cameras I could take the camera to the shaded area ,lock off the reading then put it back on the tripod,but far easier just to do the same with a light meter,
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 07:11 PM

Re: Lightmeters are they sill relevent?

I presume that you use the light-meter at the subject position and measure the light falling on to the subject and not reflected off it?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I presume that you use the light-meter at the subject position and measure the light falling on to the subject and not reflected off it?
Correct. I don't do portraits but I can see the advantage of a lightmeter when someone is for example under a tree such as a model and being photographing with the camera in sunlight .
Of course I suppose the modern way is to use reflectors and outside lighting which may make the light meter redundant. But carting all that gear about ???? erm
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 10:15 PM

If the camera is digital why not just edit it on the computer?..Or you can, of course do this with any photograph that's been scanned.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-05-2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
If the camera is digital why not just edit it on the computer?..Or you can, of course do this with any photograph that's been scanned.
the idea is to get it right in camera first as shown in the second photo
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Correct. I don't do portraits but I can see the advantage of a lightmeter when someone is for example under a tree such as a model and being photographing with the camera in sunlight .
Of course I suppose the modern way is to use reflectors and outside lighting which may make the light meter redundant. But carting all that gear about ???? erm
If you are on a professional shoot, then yes, I would assume that you MIGHT want to use a light meter. However, why not just use the modern DSLR camera's histogram to evaluate the amount of compensation required? Carting all of that gear about? Do you actually understand the concept of photographing fences?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-05-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
If you are on a professional shoot, then yes, I would assume that you MIGHT want to use a light meter. However, why not just use the modern DSLR camera's histogram to evaluate the amount of compensation required? Carting all of that gear about? Do you actually understand the concept of photographing fences?
and your point is ? See the thread heading
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 11:59 PM

I have read your heading.
With modern day cameras, this is a question I asked myself.

The answer I think is yes under some circumstances. If for example (as below) taking a photo from bright light into shade I found using a light meter ( Seconic L-308s) which I have can make a difference

You do not need a light meter to obtain shots that your onboard camera settings would tell you. If you knew how your camera works, then you wouldn't have to use a meter.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-05-2020, 12:06 AM

It is about using a light meter ,if you want to discuss histograms etc then why not start a new thread about it?
gasman
Kent, UK

07-05-2020, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
It is about using a light meter ,if you want to discuss histograms etc then why not start a new thread about it?
You do not need a light meter to take normal shots. If you ever could understand the concept of modern DSLR cameras, then you would realise this. You have a decent Nikon camera, then you should understand how the EV works. Photograph in shaded areas, then go to a minus EV. Photograph in bright sunlight, then go positive EV. If you could understand the concept of histograms, then I would start a new thread. Unfortunately, I doubt that you could grasp it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top