Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 09:09 AM

Netgear Router Wipe Out - Anyone Else?

My Netgear Router, on Virgin Media Broadband, threw a big wobbly yesterday.

I ended up with no internet, which led on to no online diagnosis, no Wifi, which led on to Hive System Wiped Out, Alexa System Wiped out, all GONE.

My backup Laptop also without any internet, as above.

I couldn't even log into my Router to check it's internal settings.

Now that's really scary!

No access to anything. Amazing how dependant I've become.

In the end, I dug out a dusty old copy of the Netgear router manual and went through the full reset process.

Finally I was back on!

No idea what blacked me out so severely.

I need to put something together in case this happens again!

Anyone else had this?

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 10:56 AM

Re: Netgear Router Wipe Out - Anyone Else?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My Netgear Router, on Virgin Media Broadband, threw a big wobbly yesterday.

I ended up with no internet, which led on to no online diagnosis, no Wifi, which led on to Hive System Wiped Out, Alexa System Wiped out, all GONE.

My backup Laptop also without any internet, as above.

I couldn't even log into my Router to check it's internal settings.

Now that's really scary!

No access to anything. Amazing how dependant I've become.

In the end, I dug out a dusty old copy of the Netgear router manual and went through the full reset process.

Finally I was back on!

No idea what blacked me out so severely.

I need to put something together in case this happens again!

Anyone else had this?

Well, not quite the same but I wonder..

It was about a month ago when Netgear informed me of a firmware update for my Netgear Orbi mesh system. This is running from a Virgin Media Superhub 3 set to modem mode.

I'd gone and lost my password for getting into the Orbi, so had to reset it. Even though I'd done that, I still couldn't get in. I tried this 'n' that nearly all day. I gave up in the end and switched the wi-fi back on in the Superhub. This and a wi-fi extender got me out of trouble.

Then I thought about how much the Orbi and two satellites had cost me, so had another go a couple of weeks later. I don't know what I did that was different but I got in this time. The firmware update went OK. It communicates with the satellite (only one was needed) and all is now well.

I was informed by e-mail that a firmware update was available but wonder if Netgear sent something down the line to you.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Re: Netgear Router Wipe Out - Anyone Else?

Originally Posted by mart ->
Well, not quite the same but I wonder..

It was about a month ago when Netgear informed me of a firmware update for my Netgear Orbi mesh system. This is running from a Virgin Media Superhub 3 set to modem mode.

I'd gone and lost my password for getting into the Orbi, so had to reset it. Even though I'd done that, I still couldn't get in. I tried this 'n' that nearly all day. I gave up in the end and switched the wi-fi back on in the Superhub. This and a wi-fi extender got me out of trouble.

Then I thought about how much the Orbi and two satellites had cost me, so had another go a couple of weeks later. I don't know what I did that was different but I got in this time. The firmware update went OK. It communicates with the satellite (only one was needed) and all is now well.

I was informed by e-mail that a firmware update was available but wonder if Netgear sent something down the line to you.
That's interesting, Mart.

Can't see any reference to an update but that doesn't mean that there wasn't one!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top