Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:50 PM

Eavesdropping

We were in a pub having a drink before it was time to go into the restaurant for the meal we had booked. A middle aged couple came and sat at the table next to us. Their body language suggested that they didn't know each other very well, although I can't be sure that observation wasn't influenced by hindsight. Upon sitting, the first words spoken came from the man, and the words were, "I'm not really a lawyer". He did go on to give an explanation of some sort, but it was hard to hear what he was saying and we left our table soon after they arrived. This happened fifteen to twenty years ago, or thereabouts.

I know what I thought the background to his comment was, but I thought it might be interesting to get other theories, although I suspect most will coincide with mine.

JBR's Philosophical thread prompted this one, btw.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:01 PM

Re: Eavesdropping

Maybe, a couple who had met on a dating site on their first date?
He was probably confessing to the porky pie that he had used to entice a woman.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:03 PM

At which point the woman should have got up and said "well I'm not really a......"

*fill in the blank with your own choosing
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Maybe, a couple who had met on a dating site on their first date?
He was probably confessing to the porky pie that he had used to entice a woman.
That, of course, is what I also thought, Art, but I wondered what other possibilities there might be.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

01-07-2021, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
At which point the woman should have got up and said "well I'm not really a......"

*fill in the blank with your own choosing
Well I'm not really much of a catch either.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:07 PM

Why would a lawyer be on a dating site? All those newly divorced women with nice payoffs from their now ex - husbands....he could have his choice of women! She was silly if she believed him in the first place.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 02:30 AM

Maybe a totally innocent comment. Might have been a continuation of their conversation before they sat. The lady could have mentioned a problem she'd been having with her car and the man (not being a professional) might have said "Although I'm not a professional mechanic, you might try - - - - - -.

Or, in this case, if she had a legal problem, the same thing regarding not being a lawyer but trying to offer advice. Who knows? Just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

02-07-2021, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
Maybe a totally innocent comment. Might have been a continuation of their conversation before they sat. The lady could have mentioned a problem she'd been having with her car and the man (not being a professional) might have said "Although I'm not a professional mechanic, you might try - - - - - -.

Or, in this case, if she had a legal problem, the same thing regarding not being a lawyer but trying to offer advice. Who knows? Just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
That could have been the case, Dave, but there was a sort of confessional quality about the way he said it that tends me towards thinking it wasn't.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 08:01 AM

Its sad we will never know isn't it Harbal....one of lifes little mysteries. His confession may have lead to the couple having a happy life together they are probably married with three kids now
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 08:30 AM

I think you need to move on Harbal. Thinking about that for twenty years is far too long. You should see a Counsellor but remember..... they might not really be a Counsellor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top