Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 05:38 PM

Re: A Mystery

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
This morning I received an email purportedly from dhlparceluk telling me that my parcel would be delivered by 12 pm and that I would receive an email to give me a one hour delivery slot. There was the option to change the delivery day if I clicked on something further down the email. However, I am not expecting a parcel so I put it down as a scam.

Then my curiosity got the better of me and I googled the official dhl site. There was an option to track and trace a parcel so I put in the number from the email, expecting it to say something like 'number not known' but to my surprise it said that the parcel had been delivered at 7-35 this morning! I checked outside the front door and, as expected, nothing.

Now if the email is a scam, as I suspect it is, what do they have to gain? I wasn't asked for bank details or anything else and no mystery parcel arrived on my doorstep.
Hang on a minute.

Are you sure you googled the genuine DHL site - not the one provided by these scammers?

And you entered the number provided by the scammers?

That would explain why they told you that something had been delivered! Nothing has, of course.

If the number given is a scam, how did the genuine DHL people recognise it?

If I were you, I'd be checking my bank/credit card statements immediately, online if possible, to check whether some money has been taken from you that you cannot account for.

There are so many scams going around these days, it's disgusting and you can't be too careful.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Ah, but what snuk in under your security radar while you were doing all of this? If that was me I'd do a full scan via my Malwarebytes scanner; not that it would have been me as I treat most things like that as a scam in one way or another.

Yes, I was thinking the same.

I would have deleted that email straight away.

Hope everything is ok Margaret.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They quite often show a pic of the door they delivered it to, if it is genuine.

The only scam I can think of seeing as there is no payment involved is that someone may have purchased something using your details
but had it delivered to another address.

Hmmm . . Margaret, it may be as well to check your bank account as an extra precaution, do you think?
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hang on a minute.

Are you sure you googled the genuine DHL site - not the one provided by these scammers?

And you entered the number provided by the scammers?

That would explain why they told you that something had been delivered! Nothing has, of course.

If the number given is a scam, how did the genuine DHL people recognise it?

If I were you, I'd be checking my bank/credit card statements immediately, online if possible, to check whether some money has been taken from you that you cannot account for.

There are so many scams going around these days, it's disgusting and you can't be too careful.
I'm absolutely sure that I checked the genuine DHL site and that the scam number came up as being delivered - that's why it's a mystery. I have checked my bank accounts and credit card account and nothing is amiss.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hmmm . . Margaret, it may be as well to check your bank account as an extra precaution, do you think?
I've done that Mups and everything is OK - I'll check again later today though just be be extra sure
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

03-07-2021, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Yes, I was thinking the same.

I would have deleted that email straight away.

Hope everything is ok Margaret.
Everything is fine Pauline, I deleted the email and checked my accounts just to be sure.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top