Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Has Immigration Saved the NHS?

According to the video clip (from Sky News), the NHS only survived, from inception, due to immigrant nurses. I have no idea if this is true or not but to say that immigrants have saved it - is that a bit detrimental to our own nurses?

No-one would deny that immigrants play a great role in healthcare but is it being overplayed? I noticed that in the news today, there is a fair bit about the benefits of immigration (back to the threat from UKIP again or something to do with the lack of available jobs?).

Could a counter argument be that if benefits hadn't been made so freely available over the decades that more people would have trained to work in the NHS as working would have been financially better than not working?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/immig...061017771.html
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Re: Has Immigration Saved the NHS?

The short answer to your question is - Yes ......
Obviously there are good solid immigrant workers, but I do feel this is an overuse, overworking of their benefits to Britain. There are, as we know, as many - that do not benefit this country.
We needed to get the immigration system right, years ago - we did not, now we are paying the price with a lot of unrest.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 12:10 PM

When I was a patient in hospital in 2004 and again in 2005, the health authority had recruited lots of nurses who originated in the Phillipines - they apparently came for a period and then returned home and another batch arrived. They were all very caring nurses and treated me magnificently well.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 12:25 PM

We have a fair few Philipino nurses at our hospital Uncle Joe and I have to say, they are lovely - I've yet to be looked after by one of them that has a bad or indifferent attitude.

I'm just not sure the immigrants can be given the honour of saving the NHS!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Absolutely the Philipinos have a great work ethic .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 01:52 PM

I'm not sure we can they did or didn't it would have been different though. What has happened and saddens me is we used to have lots of immigrant workers who spoke English now they don't seem to bother to learn it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Yes I've noticed that, unless they work with their own group, they 'will' have to learn though .....
UniGeezer
California, USA
UniGeezer is male  UniGeezer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
According to the video clip (from Sky News), the NHS only survived, from inception, due to immigrant nurses. I have no idea if this is true or not but to say that immigrants have saved it - is that a bit detrimental to our own nurses?

No-one would deny that immigrants play a great role in healthcare but is it being overplayed? I noticed that in the news today, there is a fair bit about the benefits of immigration (back to the threat from UKIP again or something to do with the lack of available jobs?).

Could a counter argument be that if benefits hadn't been made so freely available over the decades that more people would have trained to work in the NHS as working would have been financially better than not working?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/immig...061017771.html
Are you referring to *legal* immigrants, or illegal aliens?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by UniGeezer ->
Are you referring to *legal* immigrants, or illegal aliens?
Legal immigrants.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top