Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 03:22 PM

Can anyone help? WW2 question

Hoping someone can help with this - I've searched the interweb, and can't find anything.

I am currently going through a load of family letters, with a view to publication. They're written to my late mother-in-law, from her brother who was conscripted into the Black Watch in 1942.

In January/February 1945 he hopes his sister and her husband have their car "back on the go now". They were market gardeners, so having transport would have been wonderful.

So my question is this: does anyone know when petrol rationing/restrictions were relaxed for work of this type? I know the civilian petrol ration was set at zero from July '42, but that farmers still had an 'essential user' allowance, normally dyed red. But I can't find out if this would have applied to market gardeners, nor can I discover when the restriction was relaxed post-war (I am aware the ration lifted completely in May 1950).

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone knows! Thank you
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 04:35 PM

Re: Can anyone help? WW2 question

Wish I could help you Debs, but I guess you've googled ..........
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Wish I could help you Debs, but I guess you've googled ..........
Yes, and trawled through the answers!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
Yes, and trawled through the answers!
Its awful when you can't find an answer, but don't give up - someone here may know .........
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 05:00 PM

I have a friend on another site who runs a website about WW2. I bet she would know.
I just looked at the members list -she's a member here too but not posted since 1014. I wonder if a PM from here would reach her? - She's 'Maywalk' ...You could try Deb W.

I play scrabble with Maisie (Maywalk) on Facebook so I could message her for you if you like.
Deb W
Hereford

08-02-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I have a friend on another site who runs a website about WW2. I bet she would know.
I just looked at the members list -she's a member here too but not posted since 1014. I wonder if a PM from here would reach her? - She's 'Maywalk' ...You could try Deb W.

I play scrabble with Maisie (Maywalk) on Facebook so I could message her for you if you like.
That's very kind of you Carol. Yes please, that would be great
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-02-2016, 07:31 PM

To Carol
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Patsy!! ....

Deb I've sent Maisie the message. I hope she see's it soon.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Debs I have an old link about rationing that may be of use

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s50s-pet...ng.htm#toppage
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
Hoping someone can help with this - I've searched the interweb, and can't find anything.

I am currently going through a load of family letters, with a view to publication. They're written to my late mother-in-law, from her brother who was conscripted into the Black Watch in 1942.

In January/February 1945 he hopes his sister and her husband have their car "back on the go now". They were market gardeners, so having transport would have been wonderful.

So my question is this: does anyone know when petrol rationing/restrictions were relaxed for work of this type? I know the civilian petrol ration was set at zero from July '42, but that farmers still had an 'essential user' allowance, normally dyed red. But I can't find out if this would have applied to market gardeners, nor can I discover when the restriction was relaxed post-war (I am aware the ration lifted completely in May 1950).

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone knows! Thank you
Don't take this as gospel am going back to my child hood memories and the grown ups telling me this

In the war if you were commercial then you would be given petrol coupons any one with a private car would not be able to buy petrol...after the end of the war then private car owners were then issued coupons to buy petrol but it was still restricted as were sweets that I could not buy which to me was more important that petrol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top