Join for free
Page 13 of 47 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 02:05 PM

Re: Unbreakable Faith!

I think you are all approaching this the wrong way: religion doesn't cause depression but is a cure for it. Any belief where you can offload your worries is helpful and in some cases it transforms a person entirely and permanently - a complete, enrapturing, experience that remains forevermore.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 02:08 PM

Well that's good there are worse things people can turn to IMO
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well that's good there are worse things people can turn to IMO
Yes, as long as it a 'nice' belief. Don't forget any ideology can provide the necessaries if they are potent enough. Do you remember Jim Jones ...

Originally Posted by Wiki
"Jonestown" was the informal name for the Peoples Temple Agricultural Project formed by the Peoples Temple, an American religious organization under the leadership of Jim Jones, in northwestern Guyana. It became internationally notorious when on November 18, 1978, over 900 people died in the remote commune, at the nearby airstrip in Port Kaituma, and in Georgetown, Guyana's capital city.
Jonestown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

There are countless more. I have only just read a book by Angela Walden ...

How & Why I Converted to Islam
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Why-I-Co.../dp/B00Q3BV83S

This woman couldn't find what she wanted from following Christianity but did from following Islamism. It really isn't about religion at all but based on great unhappiness and a psychological need. This is why I started this thread in the first place - to make people aware that what is actually going on with them isn't anything to do with religion at all but a search for a cure for a subconscious, overwhelming set of troubling thoughts - thoughts that are beyond their capability to grasp and put meaning too. This women wasn't an expert on religion but what she found made her happy. Now she is a member of a supposedly 'religious' group where to attempt to leave could be fatal. Is this any better than ending up in a cult like the Peoples Temple Agricultural Project (Jonestown)?

There are very great dangers with regard to the above. If the eventual realisation is only available to that person through ideas and words well the ideas and words I'm spouting could in effect help such a person find a different answer without putting themselves in peril.

I've been on such a journey as Angela but I used knowledge and reasoning to find an answer - one that I think needs to be considered.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 02:41 PM

I think a lot depends on who brings you into a religion, when my boys showed an interest in their father's religion I sought reasonable people to help them, anyone who sounded the slightest extreme I avoided. I also spent time with them and their Imam checking it all out for myself.

You can't just believe the first person you hear.

Same when I was seeking a place in religion I sought people who were reasoned and kind avoiding those with ideals incompatible with my own.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

25-11-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think a lot depends on who brings you into a religion, when my boys showed an interest in their father's religion I sought reasonable people to help them, anyone who sounded the slightest extreme I avoided. I also spent time with them and their Imam checking it all out for myself.

You can't just believe the first person you hear.

Same when I was seeking a place in religion I sought people who were reasoned and kind avoiding those with ideals incompatible with my own.
A much better approach. Sadly not all who turn to religion are so well balanced. Some are in dire straights - in meltdown in some instances making them open to all sorts of ideologies. These people are targeted by some and are considered ideal recruits likely to be open to all sorts of propaganda - totally malleable.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 02:58 PM

Who is scaring and worrying people?
I have obviously missed something here .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Can't say I'm all that happy with the way this topic is going. I have said on a number of occasions it was, and is, irresponsible to attempt to change a person's mindset who has what can be deemed an 'unbreakable faith'. I get the feeling this is becoming far too personal.
MKJ, it only becomes personal when people take it as a slur on them and not as a generalisation.
I was brought up as a Roman Catholic but i don't go round spouting about what ' my God' has to say. Yes, as a child I suppose my religion was drummed into me but I am now able to rationalise and know what I believe and what I don't believe.
When your religion deters you from having a 'normal' life then there is something radically wrong. Religion should not rule you!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-11-2015, 04:05 PM

Depends what is considered normal, I would guess some would say our lives are not normal but they are normal to us.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
A much better approach. Sadly not all who turn to religion are so well balanced. Some are in dire straights - in meltdown in some instances making them open to all sorts of ideologies. These people are targeted by some and are considered ideal recruits likely to be open to all sorts of propaganda - totally malleable.
Agree Mark , anybody who believes in a non existing entity , responsible for killing this number of people for starters have rocks in their head.

The Holocaust: 6 million
The Crusades: 1-3 million
Partition of India: 1 million
The Inquisition: 1 million
30 Years War: 3 - 11 million
French Wars of Religion: 2-4 million
Nigerian Civil War: 1-3 million
Second Sudanese Civil War: 1-2 million
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by DragonsRealm ->
Yet Depression and Religion are linked,are they not.That is all I am saying.They go Hand in Hand,there are many degree's of Depression,some have it worse than other's.And some function under fine and others do not.Google-Religion and Depression,they are Tied together.

You're friend Google,do you believe everything it tells you?..lol,

Page 13 of 47 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top