Join for free
Page 315 of 370 « First < 215 265 305 313 314 315 316 317 325 365 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Quick summary tonight, as didn't get back home until after 6pm and need food and a hot bath. Calories burnt today (Thursday) 1432, weight lifted 99,322kg, scored 97/100, so a wee bit less than Monday, but I am still happy with it. I was doing weeding in the little patch of soil outside the greenhouse at the place I volunteer at, and also did a walk with some of the people I support. With that, and the rest of my travels I managed to walk 6½ miles too! That may be why I did a bit less in the gym because my legs were a bit tired before I even started. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

I had a good month last month in the gym, and should be in the "Top 20" somewhere or other for weight lifted in July, so hopefully on Saturday they will have posted the results on the notice board. If the gym data system can be trusted I lifted over 590,972kg in July, but I'll see when they post the results.

Goodnight all - I'm off for a boil in the bath and probably an early night.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 09:49 PM

I bet you're right at the top of that leaderboard, Tachyon!
I think with the walking, the helping out and the later than normal session, you've earned your hot bath and meal. Enjoy mate!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Well I made it for 7.30pm. Day No.3 of my routine (which I am now renumbering “Routine #3” etc, so that I don’t get too preoccupied with doing my training on specific days of the week).

Feeling bloated after my fish and chips the workout was a very sweaty and fatigue-driven affair, but I still managed to reach all my new targets without too much of a problem, though I did need to rest for a few more seconds between most of my sets.

I am glad that I began with the leg routine as I don’t think I’d have had the energy later on to lift the very heavy weight it requires, especially with the post-300kg set.

How odd it was though turning up back home again at 9 pm – precisely the time I’m normally setting off for work! That felt weird. Here’s the session:

Routine #3: Thursday 8th August 2019 1hr.05mins.
(All weights in kgs)

LEGS

Incline press #1:
20x160, 12x240 +5, 8x280 +3
6x330 +2, +2, +2

Incline press #2 (paused sets):
20x140 – pause – 15x140 – pause – 12x140 +3, +3 ‘deep’ reps.
30x140 ½-way fast reps
*Despite my lethargy I made my goals which were increases mostly of 10kg per set. Next time, more weight added.

UPPER BODY

Lat pulldown, underarm close grip:
15x35, 10x45 +3, 8x55
6x60 +2, +2, +2
*Instead of doing one ‘extras’ rep I did three today. The same procedure was then used on the rest of my exercises. It’s not easy to hold this kind of heavy weight in a ‘pause-hold’ position but it’s good to know that my strength has increased enough to do so.

Smith shoulder press, 60° incline bench:
12x30, 8x35, 6x40, 5x45 +1, +1, +1

Smith flat bench press:
6x50, 6x50, 6x50, 6x50 +2, +2, +2
*I changed the style of this exercise from last week. Whereas I did increasing weight sets, this time I fixed the weight at 50kg for each set but on the final one held the bar in the up position for a few seconds three times for 2 extra reps each. Holding the weight for so long really does tax the triceps especially and you have to get the breathing right, but you notice the difference at the end of the exercise. I may see if I can implement this to some of my other exercises.

Standing DB curl, alt. (diagonally across chest, swap over):
8x14 – pause - 8x14
5x16 – pause – 5x16
4x18 – pause – 4x18
*last time it was just the two paused sets of this exercise but today I added a heavier 18kg dumbbell one as an extra. I found this pretty okay and I’m even considering increasing this to 20kg next time.

Barbell curl, standing (paused):
6x25 – pause - 6x25 – pause - 6x25 – pause - 6x25

Triceps cable pulldown, standing, reversed single-underarm grip:
20x15, 15x20, 10x25, 6x30 +2, +2, +2
*A totally different triceps exercise from my set routine this time as I decided to change the bar for a single-arm cable exercise instead, courtesy of Tachyon’s workout last week. As I say though, I’m not a big fan of using the cables ordinarily as I don’t hold the heavier weight too steady. Having said that though, the exercise went well (involving pulling the cable backwards around the body and holding until the triceps really do feel the strain) and the arms felt pretty well pumped up afterwards. I’ll do the same next time.

Tomorrow I’m out for the day but I’ll do my No.4 routine on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for reading
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2019, 02:56 PM

No double session for me today, I needed to take a break from anything too stressful after posting on here this morning. Whatever, at least I got myself out, unlike some who have forgotten how to…

Okay then, Routine #4 it was today, as planned originally. All my new targets reached except one, which is noted correspondingly below, plus an extra exercise to finish with.

Routine #4: Saturday 9th August 2019 1hr.45mins.
(All weights in kgs)

UPPER BODY

Chest press (up-down):
12x55, 12x65, 10x75, 8x85
10x60 +4, 15x40 +5, +5
*Easily smashing the added 5kg to each set, with added extras to boot. Up another 5 next time.

E-Z preacher curl, seated:
10x38, 8x43, 6x48, 4x53 +1
15x28 +5, 12x28 +5, 25x18
*My biceps were not too good today for some reason only managing up to 53kgs, although that is rather heavy anyway lol. I did add a few more of the high reps at the end though.

Single DB raise (lay on bench, hands interlocked under inner top of the weight, push up and down) (100 reps total target):
40x50, 30x50, 20x50, 10x50 = 100 reps.

Hi-pull bicep cable curl:
12x25, 8x30, 6x35, 4x40
10x20 +10, 12x15 +2, +2, +2
*The same first four sets unchanged from last week but with an added two sets of tension reps at the end. Flexing and pausing the biceps at the highest point always gets a few gasps and stares lol.

Tricep extensions (paused):
15x50 – pause - 15x50 – pause - 10x50 – pause - 10x50
10x60 +6, 15x40 +6, +6, 10x30 +6
*Adding a full 10kgs to each set this went sparkingly well today, really working hard to fully flex the triceps as I held the weight down between sets.

DB preacher curl (leaning forward over bench), alternate arms:
10x16, 8x16, 6x18, 4x20, 3x22 +2
*This exercise has been moved from Routine #1 as a replacement for the machine arm curl, this being more effective I think. Same as last week but adding a heavier 22kg dumbbell for a fifth set. I actually did this exercises as an afterthought because my substandard performance on the earlier E-Z curl bar was niggling me lol!

LEGS

Seated ham curl:
25x40, 15x50, 10x60, 6x70, 4x80 +2
25x35

Lying (prone) ham curl:
20x20, 15x25, 10x32.5, 6x40 +1

Ab crunch (up-down):
25x30, 25x35, 25x40, 25x45
25x35, 25x25
*The usual abs exercise to finish with.

Back to Routine #1 tomorrow.

Thanks for reading
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Great work, Floydy, whereas I had a bit of a lazy day! My legs felt in need of a rest so I went a bit easier on them this session, plus I did just over 2 hours instead of over 3 hours like I did last Saturday.

Crunch: 90x55kg *
Back extension: 90x67.5
Pec deck: 10x30kg, 21x35kg, 20x40kg, 40x45kg, 127x50kg
Leg curl: 60x35kg *
Leg extension: 60x35kg *
Hip abduction: 60x35kg, 120x40kg *
Hip adduction60x35kg, 80x40kg *
Leg Press: 182x120kg
Chest press: 80x50kg
Shoulder press: 30x15kg
Low row: 80x50kg
Pulldown: 40X50kg
Pulley/cable: 90x14kg, 100x20kg, 20x25 (various arm/chest groups)

(* = 5kg heavier that usual, but sticking to this now)

I made it onto 3 of the top 20 charts for last month, with 18,420 "moves", 9052 calories burnt and 590,972kg lifted. I lifted about 160,000 kilos more than the number two, so feel very smug! No-one is really sure what "moves" actually are, and the website doesn't really clarify it when it explains it as "MOVEs are a measure of your daily amount of physical activity. The more often you move and the faster you move, the more MOVEs you accumulate." Gobbledegook at its best, eh!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-08-2019, 04:09 AM

Sorry mate, I really should show up in here a little more at the moment with the others being away...

Great work again, Tachyon.
I'm particularly impressed by the pec dec figures. The amount of reps you do on chest work is very awe inspiring indeed. Like myself, you're adding roughly 5kg each time/week to the exercises and that is making you stronger.
Everything is going really well indeed. Ignore those silly machine read-outs. If you are putting the work in that's all you need to be thinking about.

I'll be back at the gym today with Routine #1, the thrid time I've done that set of exercises, though made more difficult each time. Looking forward to getting back in there after a three-day break
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Even before I left the house for my Tuesday Five I knew it was going to be something special, so instead of my usual stopwatch I strapped the Garmin GPS to my wrist to keep track of the distance. I kinda knew the bit I would add on to my usual route, and I also knew from past experience that it could be overgrown in places, but I wasn't prepared for how bad it really was going to be......

With the extra mile or two I was going to 'tack on' I adjusted my pace accordingly and lumbered down the street in a sort of relaxed style. It felt good as I thumped over the temporary boarded walkway that straddled the railway line as work continues on the new bridge. I crossed the field and hurdled the puddles that had accumulated after a night of rain as I made my way to the squelchy path that led through the woods.

After two miles I was alongside the main road where the unfortunate drivers were making their way to work, thinking of all the years that I had been one of them..
I spied the entrance to the secluded lane at the other side of the road, obscured by the overhanging branches of some mature hundred year old Horse and Sweet Chestnut trees.

Excitedly I bounded across the busy road and disappeared into the undergrowth on a reasonably good well defined path. The sound of the traffic gradually becoming distant as I jogged deeper and deeper into the green unknown, until it was completely silent except for a rustle in the grass as some critter scurried away from my advancing running shoes, and the sound of a solitary bird call.

The lane was just over a mile long and led to an intersecting lane that was frequented by tractors and horse riders, not many runners and walkers ventured out this far into the country, especially down this connecting, overgrown, nettle filled shortcut. But before I could reach this prize of a pathway, first I had to navigate this one, and as I was leaving the shelter of the trees I noticed the foliage was benefitting from the extra sunlight and obscuring the path with all manner of wild growth including nettles and brambles just waiting to snag the unwary runner...

The previous nights rain had soaked the grass and my shoes had long since become waterlogged, but I had come too far now and turning back was not an option. The path had totally disappeared now and running was interrupted occasionally when undergrowth became too thick to plough through and too high to hurdle, nettles grew as high as my chest, and careful navigation was required to avoid being stung to death. My legs had attracted some very strange looking insects that had adhered themselves to my socks and shoes, and with wet legs, even higher....

No point stopping to remove them with still a hundred yards to go, and yet even more samples to collect. So it was with relief that I crossed a small bridge and popped out onto the wide flat empty lane...
First job was to remove all the bitey things from my legs and re-tie my laces. God only knows what must be lurking inside those sodden running shoes. I set off jogging and was surprised how good I felt, some strange looks from the workers arriving for work at the potato factory, I don't think they see many old blokes in shorts running past at this time in the morning, but to be honest, some of those employees looked stranger than some of the insects I'd collected on my socks...(Deliverance springs to mind)
I quickened my pace before ending up a statistic!

Back on the road now with just speeding cars to avoid, and after another mile I rejoined my original route and set course for home. Surprisingly I was a little sad to come to the end, and after stopping the GPS realised that it came out at eight miles and a really enjoyable run...It might be a while before I take that route again though....
It's been a few hours since I ran, and my legs are still stinging from the nettles, and itching from a few bites, so now I'll discover what I collected in my shoes....
Tachyon

13-08-2019, 02:40 PM

I loved that description, OGF, especially as I live in such an urban environment. You're never out of earshot or sight of cars and the only wildlife is some birdlife such as seagulls, magpies and others I am not sure exactly what they are!

Eight miles, too, and through such rough terrain... you should be very happy with that, and rightly so.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Bob, that was a pure piece of delight to peruse from beginning to end. Your descriptive journey and wonderful prose of relaying it to us was a real joy to read, so lifelike to this reader that I almost felt part of your expedition this morning! It actually sounded more like one of Surfermom's marvellous coastal routes which she describes what with all the wildlife, untoward undergrowth and mysterious insects (and hillbillies too!). I'm amazed you got back in one piece to make your trademark mug full of Yorkshire tea and custard creams!
Well done on tackling that adventure bud
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-08-2019, 04:42 PM

My write-ups seem so magnolia in comparison to Bob’s musings There's no narrative beauty from me only the sight of sweaty bulked up pretend Mr. Universe’s, noisy mobile-scrolling students and the several easy-on-the-eye lycra-clad babes doing squats (which Bob doesn’t get, so it’s 1-0 to me there!
But I’m here to relay my torturous beasting nevertheless...

Feeling very sluggish today, I even had my doubts about venturing forth to the “House of Iron where legends are made” (© Golds’ Gym), but after filling my water bottle with orange Lucozade instead of my usual tap watter, I made a start on the equipment. The Lucozade was a double-edged sword though: yes, it woke me up a bit but I was belching my way through a decidedly average workout until I got going. However, all my new targets were accomplished but I was a writhing, sweaty abomination of an “athlete” by the end of it all and the Lucozade will be a no-no in future! Legs to begin with today; the heaviest stuff out of the way first.

Monday 13th August 2019: Routine #1 1hr.10mins.
(All weights in kgs)

LEGS

Horizontal ‘sled’ press:
20x130, 15x150
10x200 –pause – 10x200 – pause – 10x200 – pause – 6x200 – pause – 6x200 – pause – 5x200 – pause – 5x200
15x160
25x120 (feet low) – pause – 25x120 (feet high)
*Changing my routines each week to include variations on a them (from Paganini?), the exercises remain the same ones but the way I perform them is always slightly different, i.e. more reps, weight or the complete structure changes. Here, I stayed on the full stack weight of 200kgs for the first set but then really went for it: SIX pause-hold extra sets of reps before putting the stack down again – and then two sets of frantic high reps to end with (as you do). My thighs were absolutely on fire!

Calf press (using sled. Pushing with toes from bottom of plate, not from the quads):
25x120, 20x130, 15x150, 10x170 +6

UPPER BODY

Lat pulldown (hammer Bar):
12x40, 10x50, 8x60, 6x70+1
6x50 +3, +3
*Adding 5kgs to all sets, plus a lighter finale set of tension reps.

Seated row:
12x47, 10x53, 8x59
6x65 +2, 6x53 +3, +3
*6kg added to all sets. Again, plus an extra set.

Pec dec:
15x45, 12x50, 10x60
8x65 +2, 6x50 +3, +2
*A nice few kgs added here also.

Standing E-Z curl (paused):
6x30.25 – pause - 6x30.25 – pause - 6x30.25 – pause - 6x30.25 +2
*Doing these paused reps on a bar now weighing a shade over 30kgs isn’t easy when you can’t put it down after finishing all the sets. The pressure on the biceps is immense but, jeez, do they get pumped up (for a few minutes anyway lol!)

DB concentration curl, alt:
8x14, 6x16, 6x18, 4x20 +2
6x12 +2, +2
*A nice extra to finish with this time but curling the dumbbell really slowly to feel every sinew and vein working. The 12kgs felt like over 20 by the end of this short set.

Tricep extensions:
15x50 +6, 12x60 +6, 10x70 +6, 6x80 +6
50x30 high reps
*I mentioned last time that I needed to add more weight to this exercise, so there is 10kgs to each set, plus more extra reps and a crazy 50-rep light set to end with. All good fun

In the end it was all very knackering but I was pleased because I added weight to all of my exercises, forcing the muscles to do the extra work adequately and so building more strength and keeping this steadily ageing body maintained best I can.
Next session, tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on housework!

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 08:53 PM

Thanks Tachyon, your comments are much appreciated, and yes I was over the moon with this morning's eight. Not just at the ease at which I completed the challenge, but recovery was swift and I was able to get some jobs done later....

Thanks also Floydy, don't do yourself down, I have read some of your very descriptive posts in the past and always look forward to reading about your mammoth workouts. Although the scenery on some of my expeditions is satisfying, it would appear that gym work might be something I could get used to with all those 'Lycra Clad Beauties'.....

Page 315 of 370 « First < 215 265 305 313 314 315 316 317 325 365 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top