Join for free
Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Re: Do you exercise?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Of course kids climb trees, even grace with her disability can manage to get up some trees. Her favourite though is the zip wire they put between the trees she loves that.
Don't they require crash helmets like cyclists now do?

When I was younger it was very rare to see a cyclist wearing a helmet.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Well it's all been happening in here hasn't it? I'll post a general reply here and then single out a few of your other posts separately...

The main talking point seems to be "Is work exercise and/or fitness?". To that I would say it depends on the level and scope of the work involved. Anything beyond breathing is burning calories in some form or another, and manual labour is obviously more energetic than sitting at a desk.
But I understand OGF's point entirely and those who don't simple don't follow a dedicated exercise routine or programme. There is a difference there.

My other main point is to those who simply exercise, period. Those folk are obviously not caring for their health in a way that they should be and may suffer long term illness as a result. Everybody needs some form of exercise to keep the joints, bones and heart rate in tow, and to dismiss keeping moderately fit as something which is "only for fanatics” is trite and ignorant.

Back to my original post, and it would great to see more folk post in this section. Up to you folks.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My exercise now is housework and gardening Floydy, no leotard
for me, I reckon I must be old enough to be your mother
Nothing wrong with that, Mags, despite missing the point a little...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I may well join in soon as im about to embark on a program related to my health. First time will be day after boxing day so may well post the experience.
Excellent Nom Looking forward to your experience.
Any help you need, we'll be sure to assist if we can
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Floydy can probably explain this better than I can Julie, but he will not be exercising his muscles in the correct way, or even the correct muscles that need the workout for him to benefit too much. And his mind will be on the job and not clear of stress. You are even suffering some of his stress by mentioning it, it must be on your mind.....
As long as he's using a good lifting technique and not overburdening himself to one side pulling his back, he should be okay I think. Depends on his general health I would say.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I exercise every day, even when bed bound.

Very little just as much as I can.

It gives me a purpose in life.
That's good, Swimmy. As little or as much as is possible is better than nothing at all
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-12-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Rather patronising post there OGF, for I'm not sure anyone was grumbling about people who care for their well being with exercise,rather just stating their own preferences as you would in any normal conversation. Personally I've no time for fanatics of any ilk...
Define a "fanatic" please, Barry and why it's relevant to this thread?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-12-2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What if you work in a Gym?
I don't follow, Spitfire?
As a PT, cleaner, receptionist.....?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Personally I think that to say work isn't exercise is ridiculous. I have never visited a gym in my life but have always maintained my fitness through manual work and other activities, so if the point of exercise is to maintain personal well being and fitness then I have managed to meet that brief without ever exercising for it's own sake.

Having said that though, if exercise for it's own sake gives you a buzz then I'm very happy for you, just a personal choice and whatever floats your boat....
Nobody's arguing with you, Barry
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Define a "fanatic" please, Barry and why it's relevant to this thread?
It was in reply to the last paragraph by Old Grey Fox in post #13, in which he gave me the impression, rightly or wrongly, that anyone not interested should not have an opinion on the matter and by saying that he sounded rather fanatical to me...

Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top