Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Re: Organ transplants

I think for an older person to consider organ donation for the first time (that's the consideration process, not the actual donation), its a bit like paying upfront for a funeral because it gives immediate peace of mind, instead of waiting for insurances to kick in at the time, and go through due process.
Same principal maybe?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with Keezoy about where to draw the line.

I know you were talking about heart transplants JBR, but if it was became compulsory, where might it end?
You may not object to a heart donation, but how would you feel about other body parts being taken?

For example, think more long term that just today.How would we feel about surgeons wanting to take your wife or child's genitals?
Or even more gruesome, what about removing a loved one's face or head, for experimental purposes?

It will happen in the future, would you feel equally generous about permitting that?
That is one big question. However, at that point there will probably not be any option, everyone will have had their 'choice 'removed.

They've already done head transplants on animals.

I do wonder if some of these statistics are accumulated to back up a cause and in this case, for making compulsory organ donations . Which raises another question; if organs are collected on a daily basis , nation wide .
a) where are they going to store them all ?
b) do they really need so many organs ?

I see it as another 'retail' business for world wide trade , and that I DO object to.

One other point is, I will not donate my organs as I have had cancer.

There are also people who have received organs from people who had cancer, but did not know at the time. One donor with cancer affected 4 individuals, 3 of them died from breast cancer.

All very questionable.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
On another thread it's been stated that there's too many people in the world and reducing the population may go some way to alleviating the world's problems.

Perhaps we should stop organ donation altogether and let nature take its course?
You wouldn’t say that if your only grandchild was suffering from kidney disease as our granddaughter is and in desperate need of a transplant .

Her mum was a perfect match but with tests it came to light she also has kidney problems .
I’ve popped a photo of her in my gallery for a limited time . She’s so gorgeous
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
To preclude those who do not express a wish to donate from being offered a replacement organ would be more than unethical.
Well I suppose that some of you would say that it is perfectly ethical to be happy to receive a donated organ, but to refuse to offer one yourself!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 01:27 PM

It's one of those subjects we have trouble thinking about isn't it. Obviously once we are dead we have no idea of what's happening but we have trouble imagining what it is like to be dead. How can we not be aware of it?

I think the idea of signing up to a donor scheme is a good one though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 01:29 PM

If we think back to the ancient Egyptians, their organs were removed and stored in canopic jars.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If we think back to the ancient Egyptians, their organs were removed and stored in canopic jars.
Very true, and they all went to heaven didn't they?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
That is one big question. However, at that point there will probably not be any option, everyone will have had their 'choice 'removed.

They've already done head transplants on animals.

I do wonder if some of these statistics are accumulated to back up a cause and in this case, for making compulsory organ donations . Which raises another question; if organs are collected on a daily basis , nation wide .
a) where are they going to store them all ?
b) do they really need so many organs ?

I see it as another 'retail' business for world wide trade , and that I DO object to.

One other point is, I will not donate my organs as I have had cancer.

There are also people who have received organs from people who had cancer, but did not know at the time. One donor with cancer affected 4 individuals, 3 of them died from breast cancer.

All very questionable.

Good post, Puddles.

Another thing - what happens if they have a surplus of a certain organ, but the donor has stated they wish to donate?
Can medics over ride the donor's wishes and not take anything, or will they be obliged to remove an organ - whether it is needed or not - simply because it was stated in someone's will that is what they wanted?

With the amount of people dying, as Puddles said, they could be over run with hearts/livers/kidneys etc and no patients waiting for them.
So how long would they keep, and could they be legally sold elsewhere?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-09-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very true, and they all went to heaven didn't they?
Well I think most went to the British Museum but don't say anything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well I think most went to the British Museum but don't say anything.
Some went to the Manchester University museum too, including one with a mummified penis.

Honestly. When I took my school class on a visit there several years ago, guess what the first thing they noticed was!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top