Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 02:22 PM

SHARLOTKA (Very Popular Russian Apple Cake).

Afternoon all. Brother’s Russian Fiancee coming over at beginning of November, so attempting to practice making some Russian dishes so she will think I am a clever one. LOL.

Made this yesterday. Came out the same as the one in the video. Tasted really, really nice.
Sharing the recipe with you in case you would like to have a go. Makes a nice change from Apple Pie.

INGREDIENTS

125g Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
150g Sugar
¼ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Large Eggs
115g Butter, melted
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 medium Apples
3 tablespoons of apple juice
2 tablespoons Icing Sugar for dusting

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350F/180C/160 Fan/ Gas 4

Grease and line the bottom of a 20cm (8inch) Springform cake tin with either parchment or greaseproof paper.

In a small bowl, whisk the flour. Baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Set to one side.

Peel and dice the apples into 1-inch pieces.

In a larger bowl, whisk the eggs until really light and fluffy, add the sugar and continue whisking for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the vanilla extract, melted butter, apple juice and continue to whisk until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.

Fold in the appies until all covered then transfer into the prepared cake tin.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is golden brown. (the usual toothpick test)
Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Release from the tin and let it cool to room temperature.

Dust with Icing Sugar and serve with Ice-Cream (As I did!)

Enjoy.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Re: SHARLOTKA (Very Popular Russian Apple Cake).

That looks delicious, ST - did you use cooking apples?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 04:53 PM

Hi LT. No, not with this cake, although I love Bramleys, especially in pies and crumbles, on this occasion I used Gala.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Cor!
I do an apple upside down cake sometimes but that looks even better

I love cinnamon with apples!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 07:04 PM

That looks delicious SG - Mr Mags favourite dessert is Apple Pie so I'm sure he will love this too.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Passed on to my dear wife. We were given a whole bag of apples by the owner of the Bedlington Terrier we walk with our Max.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 10:13 PM

That sounds delicious - will give it a try!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 11:46 AM

I'm sure it's delicious but . . . . I don't think it's authentic Russian Sharlotka.

Sharlotka doesn't have butter (or milk which some might use in cakes) and it's key aspect is that it is seen as a very simple cake with very few ingredients that anyone can make.

Most authentic recipes will only have 4 ingredients:

Apples, Eggs, Flour and Sugar

and in a 4,4,1,1 ratio

I personally love the additions of cinnamon and vanilla for added flavour but the butter and apple juice are probably unnecessary and might make for a very moist denser cake.

Shalotka is a cake that is light as air
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 04:29 PM

IT looks delicious SG...try making it without butter..it will be lovely and light..I make butterless sponges as well.

I do make a type of Shalotka cake made with butter ,for my friends,I add sultanas in with the mix .just a little heavy for me.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Afternoon all. Brother’s Russian Fiancee coming over at beginning of November, so attempting to practice making some Russian dishes so she will think I am a clever one. LOL.

Made this yesterday. Came out the same as the one in the video. Tasted really, really nice.
Sharing the recipe with you in case you would like to have a go. Makes a nice change from Apple Pie.

INGREDIENTS

125g Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
150g Sugar
¼ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Large Eggs
115g Butter, melted
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 medium Apples
3 tablespoons of apple juice
2 tablespoons Icing Sugar for dusting

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350F/180C/160 Fan/ Gas 4

Grease and line the bottom of a 20cm (8inch) Springform cake tin with either parchment or greaseproof paper.

In a small bowl, whisk the flour. Baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Set to one side.

Peel and dice the apples into 1-inch pieces.

In a larger bowl, whisk the eggs until really light and fluffy, add the sugar and continue whisking for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the vanilla extract, melted butter, apple juice and continue to whisk until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.

Fold in the appies until all covered then transfer into the prepared cake tin.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is golden brown. (the usual toothpick test)
Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Release from the tin and let it cool to room temperature.

Dust with Icing Sugar and serve with Ice-Cream (As I did!)

Enjoy.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
I made this the other day and it was delicious shropshiregirl - thank you for posting it. I have passed the recipe on to my daughter in law, who is a member of the baking club in her office and as such needs to provide something she has cooked every six weeks.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top