Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:15 PM

When Reality Hits Home....

Since my Labrador and Poodle died, l have really missed having a dog.
Last night, on Gumtree, l saw an advert for Flatcoat x Labrador puppies at £650. I have owned both these breeds and they are lovely dogs.
They showed pics of four puppies, two black and two golden, yet there were eight puppies in the pic of the cage. I immediately sent an email, to say, l would be interested in the black puppies and included my mobile phone number.
I received a text back to say, they would check in the morning to schedule an appointment. I did think this was strange? Surely, they would have the appointment ‘book’ with them?

I then googled their advert and found, they had previously advertised Flatcoat x Labrador puppies on Gumtree a year ago at £550. I was suspicious but maybe, l was overreacting? Were they a puppy farm or selling on behalf of a puppy farm?

In the night, l started to have doubts. Could l cope with a puppy? What if l went out, l would have to rush back like l used to with my other dogs. Could l visit my daughters who have gone to live in London and Brighton and think about a dog climbing three flights of stairs up and down for toileting?
Would the dog, outlive me? Could l cope with the long walks that this breed expects and deserves?

This morning, l got a text to say they could give me an appointment to view at 12 noon.
With a heavy heart, l had to refuse. Was l overreacting and right to refuse, or just a time waster?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Re: When Reality Hits Home....

I think you were a sensible person Art, who thought this through very carefully and decided it wouldn't be fair to take on other dog at the moment.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I think you were a sensible person Art, who thought this through very carefully and decided it wouldn't be fair to take on other dog at the moment.
Cor, Thanks Mags. You’ve made me feel better!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:27 PM

Hi

No. I think you are being very sensible Art.

We had a Flattie when I was married, lovely dogs, but mad as hatters, always on the go and need a huge amount of exercise.

A smaller, less active dog would be good for you.

I cannot imagine you without a dog and you have a big enough garden to keep a smaller dog well exercised.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-10-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No. I think you are being very sensible Art.

We had a Flattie when I was married, lovely dogs, but mad as hatters, always on the go and need a huge amount of exercise.

A smaller, less active dog would be good for you.

I cannot imagine you without a dog and you have a big enough garden to keep a smaller dog well exercised.
Swimmy, l remember you saying you had a Flat Coated Retriever and like me you know, they are such a lovely breed of dog. The ones, l had were fairly calm but they were heavy dogs. With my poodle, you could just pick him up if need be but you couldn’t do that with a Flatcoat or a Labrador!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I agree with Mags, Artangel, you could always go to a local dog rescue & see what they have needing a home, if you change your mind.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I agree with Mags, Artangel, you could always go to a local dog rescue & see what they have needing a home, if you change your mind.
Hi

Some dog rescues are very picky, they think that if you are retired, you are not capable of looking after a dog.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-10-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
No, Tiffany. As much as l should do that, the two rescue dogs that l have taken in were my worst nightmare.
One, a Flatcoated Retriever was so aggressive with every dog it met and had my three year old daughter’s head in his mouth, it has totally put me off rescue dogs. I also took in a rescue Toy poodle that was so jealous it bit one of my other daughter’s face.
On both occasions, my daughters had done nothing wrong to warrant this behaviour.

I sobbed my heart out on both occasions and vowed never to take a rescue dog in again.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-10-2019, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Some dog rescues are very picky, they think that if you are retired, you are not capable of looking after a dog.

Swimmy, This is true! As much as l like to think that l am still young in every way! They, according to my age, would have me straight on the scrapheap!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
No, Tiffany. As much as l should do that, the two rescue dogs that l have taken in were my worst nightmare.
One, a Flatcoated Retriever was so aggressive with every dog it met and had my three year old daughter’s head in his mouth, it has totally put me off rescue dogs. I also took in a rescue Toy poodle that was so jealous it bit one of my other daughter’s face.
On both occasions, my daughters had done nothing wrong to warrant this behaviour.

I sobbed my heart out on both occasions and vowed never to take a rescue dog in again.
You were very unfortunate there then, everyone I know who has had a rescue dog have got lovely dogs, including us, Brandy was from the RSPCA, she was lovely.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top