Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 07:57 PM

Coronavirus: US FDA authorises use of anti-viral drug Remdesivir

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-...eporting-story

The US's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorised emergency use of the Ebola drug remdesivir for treating the coronavirus.

The authorisation means the anti-viral drug can now be used on people who are hospitalised with severe Covid-19.

A recent clinical trial showed the drug helped shorten the recovery time for people who were seriously ill.

However, it did not significantly improve survival rates.

During a meeting with US President Donald Trump in the Oval Office, Gilead Chief Executive Daniel O'Day said the FDA authorisation was an important first step.

The company would donate 1.5 million vials of the drug, he said.

Emergency FDA authorisation is not the same as formal approval, which requires a higher level of review.

The drug did not cure Ebola, and Gilead says on its website: "Remdesivir is an experimental medicine that does not have established safety or efficacy for the treatment of any condition." Gilead also warns of possible serious side-effects.

However, President Trump has been a vocal supporter of remdesivir as a potential treatment for the coronavirus.

As much remains uncertain about the treatment regime, Gilead suggests a 10-day dosing duration for patients on ventilators and five days for patients who are not.

Gilead says it is donating 1.5 million individual doses of remdesivir, which "equates to more than 140,000 treatment courses that will be provided at no cost". The emergency distribution in the US is included in that.
But worldwide there are more than three million confirmed cases, in 185 countries. The USA alone has 1,147,588 cases and 66,650 deaths so the "experimentation" with the Ebola drug remdesivir seems to me to be an act of desperation to bring the numbers down while the pandemic continues apace .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 08:15 PM

Re: Coronavirus: US FDA authorises use of anti-viral drug Remdesivir

They have already done studies of this. 68% improvement seems a pretty good result given we have nothing else. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007016
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They have already done studies of this. 68% improvement seems a pretty good result given we have nothing else. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007016
Expert reaction in the UK to that report in the UK is both cautious and critical, including:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...vere-covid-19/

Prof Simon Maxwell, Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Prescribing, University of Edinburgh, said:

“The research is interesting but doesn’t prove anything at this point: the data are from a small and uncontrolled study. Remdesivir is currently being assessed in large scale clinical studies, which will be critical in determining whether it is a safe and effective treatment for COVID-19. This is not least because there were some adverse events (60%) reported in the current study, some of them serious (23%), including multiple organ failure, septic shock, acute kidney injury, and hypotension.”
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 04:51 PM

I was looking into this just this morning and guess what I found? Bet you can't ... yes, the bloody Chinese have their sticky little mits all over this. This is a summary of what I've been able to discover:

Remdesivir is a broad-spectrum antiviral medication developed by the biopharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences, an American biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Foster City, California. It owns the patent for its use against Ebola. However, the Chinese Government is trying to obtain a patent for its use against Covid-19, which could prevent it being used on a Global basis unless we accept their terms and conditions for it to be used.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-05-2020, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I was looking into this just this morning and guess what I found? Bet you can't ... yes, the bloody Chinese have their sticky little mits all over this. This is a summary of what I've been able to discover:

Remdesivir is a broad-spectrum antiviral medication developed by the biopharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences, an American biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Foster City, California. It owns the patent for its use against Ebola. However, the Chinese Government is trying to obtain a patent for its use against Covid-19, which could prevent it being used on a Global basis unless we accept their terms and conditions for it to be used.
Source?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Source?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-recover.html

https://www.natlawreview.com/article...vid-19-vaccine

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7156563/

https://www.trialsitenews.com/wuhan-...ds-remdesivir/

Those do you?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-05-2020, 04:08 PM

Yes thanks ..... very interesting .....

Please include a link when making factual assertions - I like to know if the source is reputable or not .....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-...eporting-story

But worldwide there are more than three million confirmed cases, in 185 countries. The USA alone has 1,147,588 cases and 66,650 deaths so the "experimentation" with the Ebola drug remdesivir seems to me to be an act of desperation to bring the numbers down while the pandemic continues apace .....

Omah Yes, the research/experiment with Remdesivir is an act of desperation. These are desperate times. I advocate ANYTHING which might bring the numbers down.
I suspect if you were in hospital with C-19, you too would be "desperate".
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 02:19 AM

I don't understand how China lodging a patent affects the US. Can anyone explain how one affects the other? It's not like the world operates one global legal system is it. I reckon this news story is a non story. I predict any laws hindering this particular situation will be ripped up in nation states. Patents won't apply if that causes an obstruction.

This would be more relevant if the key ingredient in the medication is only sourced in China.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 06:56 AM

Hi

If a vaccine is found it will be copied by everyone.

Patent Law will just be ignored.

The UK and other Countries have launched a £6 Billion Fund to pay the costs of anyone who develops it.

The 3 big players not part of this are China, the USA and Russia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top