Join for free
Page 18 of 28 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Re: Why are people so surprised?

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Don't the remainers understand that the UK feels betrayed by the EU?

The biggest lie going.

We joined the common market not the EU ideology.

And how hypocritical of the remainers who say we were lied to in the referendum ... well we were all lied to in the first one weren't we and that's why we voted to get out in the second.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The biggest lie going.

And how hypocritical of the remainers who say we were lied to in the referendum ... well we were all lied to in the first one weren't we and that's why we voted to get out in the second.
Completely agree. Didn't even give us a choice when they lied about that either.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

India has a fast growing middle class which has money to spend.

It is an expanding market for our high end goods which are subject to both Tariffs and Non Tariff Barriers.

We will never be able to compete with SE Asia, China etc on cost, electronics, TV's etc.

We can gain on high end goods.

I would much rather we were selling them Aston Martins than the Italians selling them Ferraris.

So is the EU stopping the UK from trading in high end goods to India now??

Aston Martin are already selling there cars in India with the new Vantage being sold for 2.8 crore. However, Aston Martin targets trade and investments in China worth £620 million.

I must admit SF that I am still at a loss as to the advantages of doing our own trade deals when we already trade with them and many others.

Just hope jbr and moscow don't come up with any of their normal crass comments.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Are not Norway, Denmark and Germany 'third parties' to the Five Eyes alliance?
Hi

They are part of Nine Eyes, along with France.

They do not have full access.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:33 AM

Hi

I fully understand that leaving means that we will no longer be treated as a Member.

That is the object of the exercise, that is why I voted to leave.

I also understand that we are now competitors and that each should look after it's own.

I am just annoyed about what a useless job our politicians are doing.

I do not understand why the EU should feel betrayed by the UK leaving.

If they wanted us to stay they should not have let Merkel open the floodgates and then try to insist that we take a share of the ones she did not want.

They should not have insisted that we obey every rule when both France and Germany have consistently broken the rules for years with impunity.

If Germany wants an EU Army they could make a start by paying their fair share of NATO expenditure.
To understand a few of the things you mention, you need to take the other's perspective.

Germany was a long time before they were allowed to have an army. Many countries had bad experiences with them having one. Of course they were allowed to produce weapons, the UK being their largest buyer.
The defense budget is still a controversial subject every year in germany. If they increase their spending other countries get suspicious, but you may be assured they would like to spent a lot more on their army.

As to the share of countries in the nato costs, many posts on this forum have been dedicated to that subject.

Merkel, coming from the former DDR, has a long past with how they treated minorities and refugees. She is the daughter of a protestant "pfarrer" under a communist regime. Try to imagine. She made a humanitarian gesture as a german chancelor that was fully misunderstood by other countries.

I know many of you have a problem to perceive it this way. In the past of the EEC/EU, any treaty that was signed between the member states, it was the UK who demanded (!) and received a special position. You still have the pound to pay with, you bypassed schengen and instead of controlling the borders you blame the EU for immigrnats you let in yourselves. And most of all, you still drive on the wrong side of the street.
And after all this special treatment you have the nerve to say, "it is still not enough, so we leave". That feels like betrayal.

The dominant role of germany and france has been felt from the beginning. That is why only minor countries provide the chairman of the council. After verhofstad belgium, juncker luxemburg, timmermans netherlands, cameron would have been in line to chair.
But perhaps the major problem in the UK with that would be the realisation of being a minor country.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:52 AM

Look at it from our perspective we drive on the correct side of the road for us the cost of changing could bankrupt us all. We had a government that wanted cheap labour, those of us suffered from that rebelled and voted leave.
We are an Island race who do things our own way. No one has managed to change us much even when we have been invaded we just take from the invaders ideas seem good to us and reject the rest. We are an individual race who for a small island have done pretty well.

We have been asked repeatedly to send our young men and women to help beat the aggressors around the globe. Enough is enough we need to look after our own now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:09 PM

Hi

I fully understand that leaving means that we will no longer be treated as a Member.

That is the object of the exercise, that is why I voted to leave.

I also understand that we are now competitors and that each should look after it's own.

I am just annoyed about what a useless job our politicians are doing.

I do not understand why the EU should feel betrayed by the UK leaving.

If they wanted us to stay they should not have let Merkel open the floodgates and then try to insist that we take a share of the ones she did not want.

They should not have insisted that we obey every rule when both France and Germany have consistently broken the rules for years with impunity.

If Germany wants an EU Army they could make a start by paying their fair share of NATO expenditure.

However, interacting with trolls is a pointless exercise.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The biggest lie going.

Absolutely. However, we can blame our politicians for our accepting the morphing of the EEC into the EU and deciding to remain in, notably Major.

As for our remoaners, I see them as ill informed and easily led, and for that reason I find it difficult to blame them for something they don't possess the mental capacity to understand.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Look at it from our perspective we drive on the correct side of the road for us the cost of changing could bankrupt us all.
I don't respond directly to certain members, but this accusation deserves a constructive reply.

Why do we drive on the left?

I know the answer, but I'd be interested to see how many other members know the reason.

More to the point, why do most other countries drive on the right?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

28-12-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't respond directly to certain members, but this accusation deserves a constructive reply.

Why do we drive on the left?

I know the answer, but I'd be interested to see how many other members know the reason.

More to the point, why do most other countries drive on the right?
I'm interested in the answer JBR as I have no idea myself. But imagine the cost to change it !!!

Page 18 of 28 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top