Join for free
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 08:40 AM

Re: Climate Change.

Man/Woman seems to be designing themselves out of the equation.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
By rights, there should be no fossil fuel left by now, maybe GW is a catalyst to the next stage?
Now you've hit the nail on the head Spitty.....What do think would happen if governments told us we were running out of something? There would be widespread panic, empty shelves in the supermarkets and long queues at the pumps...

What's the answer? Make up a cock and bull story about CO2, Fossil fuels and Carbon Footprints, and then brainwash all the gullible young people who have nothing better to do, to go out and cause disruption (it worked for the unions in my day) and make people believe that we are not thinking about our young people and that we are damaging the planet....Well we probably are.....But who wants a cold house in the winter, a warm house in the summer, to have to walk everywhere, and wear old out of fashion clothes?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 10:55 AM

The Climate Change programme was already in the EU 2030 strategy.

So the EU Governments apparently acting in response to the Climate Change protest s, actually aren't .
Germany has plans for £54 billion climate change deal amid 500 protests. They were going to do it anyway.. but it makes them look good .

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/strategies/2030_en
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 01:10 PM

'Climate change' is obviously the latest craze.

The last report I heard was that the average temperature has risen by ONE degree over 150 years. I'm afraid that hardly strikes terror in me! In fact, wouldn't temperature increase encourage more growth of plant life?

And if the Arctic melts completely, it will only be Londonistan that becomes completely submerged, and that particular place has had it anyway!

The eco-warriors seem to be unaware that the climate has changed, one way or the other, many times over thousands of years and a great deal more that ONE degree.

The latest ploy is to encourage precocious children to take up the banners, presumably in the hope that people will take more notice of them than the 'hippy' youngsters who traditionally protest about anything and everything.

What amuses me most, though, is the fact that they are protesting their socks off right here, where most of our heavy industry is long gone and our glorious leaders are really pushing electric vehicles (which they hope will be powered exclusively by electricity from windmills!).

The real polluters of the atmosphere, if any, are to be found in places like China and India. Why do I not hear of thousands of children protesting in those locations?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote. "The average temperature has risen by just one degree over the last 150 years"
Do these people not realise that at one time the whole of upper Europe was covered in a thick covering of ice. We called it the Ice Age. What caused that to melt if it was not climate change. round about a hundred years it was nothing for the Thames to freeze over and fairs and markets were held on the ice. These protesters should remember this before unfurling their banners and causing mayhem. Climate change is natural and although we may, and I say may, be able to slow it down we will never control it.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Protest marches have been taking place all over the world today protesting about the lack of anything being done to change matters. These protesters want action NOW. It is fine the powers that be saying that by 2025 things will improve but that is all they are doing about it, talking. Action must be taken now but where do we start. Any ideas?
As a very positive start, all those protesting causing jams and adding to polluting green house gasses, could stop and thus allow the free flow of vehicles and avoid all those engines idling for hours on end. The organisers have obviously NOT thought it all through. Now blockade fuel stations and THEN they would have positive impact without adding to pollution.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
By rights, there should be no fossil fuel left by now, maybe GW is a catalyst to the next stage?
There is known to be around 150 years worth at present rates of use.
UK has identified reserves of about three and a half billion tonnes and possibly a lot more undiscovered.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Quote. "The average temperature has risen by just one degree over the last 150 years"
Do these people not realise that at one time the whole of upper Europe was covered in a thick covering of ice. We called it the Ice Age. What caused that to melt if it was not climate change. round about a hundred years it was nothing for the Thames to freeze over and fairs and markets were held on the ice. These protesters should remember this before unfurling their banners and causing mayhem. Climate change is natural and although we may, and I say may, be able to slow it down we will never control it.

I don't so much mind if they want to try to make themselves feel better by protesting, but when it involves inconveniencing sensible people and disrupting their going about their business, that is completely unacceptable.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 04:13 PM

I've long believed it is natural seems I'm not entirely alone https://www.sott.net/article/420049-...m_campaign=RSS
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-09-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've long believed it is natural seems I'm not entirely alone https://www.sott.net/article/420049-...m_campaign=RSS
Well said, Julia.

I'm sure that NASA is an honest and believable organisation making sound scientific reasons for climate change.

In my opinion, the eco-warriors are as believable as the Flat Earth Society.

BTW, did you realise that you're ten years younger than me?

Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top