Join for free
Page 25 of 28 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Re: Had enough of the UK

Originally Posted by nicko ->
mind you come to think of it there are some Asian capitals that whilst interesting are very hot and tiresome - Bangkok comes to mind and Saigon and Hanoi - dangerous for crossing the road - in fact stay off the road !
Looks like you are extremely well travelled Nicko, might l ask how
long you spent in all those places
And what you do for a living, are you a travel correspondent or
something? I am envious.
I'm afraid my crniterior for choosing a country to live in are a bit
different.the main things l would look for are good scenery/
Stars at night& very few people.l did manage to achieve these but
now l am back in UK which has only confirmed my choices.

Best Regards. Donkeyman.
nicko
uk
nicko is male 

25-03-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Looks like you are extremely well travelled Nicko, might l ask how
long you spent in all those places
And what you do for a living, are you a travel correspondent or
something? I am envious.
I'm afraid my crniterior for choosing a country to live in are a bit
different.the main things l would look for are good scenery/
Stars at night& very few people.l did manage to achieve these but
now l am back in UK which has only confirmed my choices.

Best Regards. Donkeyman.
I'm in oil exploration ! - I can spend from 6mths to 18 mths depending on the amount of involvement needed and complexities found.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by nicko ->
I'm in oil exploration ! - I can spend from 6mths to 18 mths depending on the amount of involvement needed and complexities found.
Sounds absolutely brilliant Nicko,l have a couple more questions
I f. I may.
Are you technical or admin
What are the down sides
Are you married?
What do you do for holidays?
Does your company employ pensioners
😘What is the pay like.

Best Regards Donkeyman. PS, thanks for prompt reply
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

09-06-2020, 04:19 AM

What some people are saying is "multiculturalism doesn't work?
Correct. It worked with the Greeks, Italians and some other Europeans nationals who settled in our country following WW2. Admittedly it did take quite some time for these people to become assimilated. But they did and became first new Australians and then dinkie die Aussies. Embracing all that it means to be Australian. In my view some Muslims will never embrace Australian laws and values. They are the extreme element of their religion. The ones trying to shove Sharia law down the throats of westerners. The ones that insist their women live public life thru an eye slit. These people should never have been allowed into our country. I expect a majority of the UK feels the same.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
What some people are saying is "multiculturalism doesn't work?
Correct. It worked with the Greeks, Italians and some other Europeans nationals who settled in our country following WW2. Admittedly it did take quite some time for these people to become assimilated. But they did and became first new Australians and then dinkie die Aussies. Embracing all that it means to be Australian. In my view some Muslims will never embrace Australian laws and values. They are the extreme element of their religion. The ones trying to shove Sharia law down the throats of westerners. The ones that insist their women live public life thru an eye slit. These people should never have been allowed into our country. I expect a majority of the UK feels the same.
Yes, exactly the same here.

However, I should add that the more educated ones, and I have known several - doctors, PhD students and the like - are completely different. They are polite, well spoken and never mention their religion.

Whether or not they go to the mosque, I wouldn't know and don't really care, but they certainly don't go around demanding that we make changes to our country for their benefit.

These are the muslims who have chosen to integrate into our society.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 02:13 PM

Good post Swannie.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 06:30 AM

I've written this before but worth repeating...

All immigrants integrate and the society changes a bit to accommodate them as they accomadate the society that welcomes them, invariably for the better.

Australian's view of immigration has been the same for the over 50 years that I have lived here.

First it was the southern Europeans not being the same as those from the north and not fitting in with complaints about the ghettos of Marrickville full of Greeks who don't want to learn the language or fit in, Followed by exactly the same complaints about the eastern Europeans.

Then it was the Vietnamese and the gangs and drug sellers in Cabramatta who didn't want to fit in with the Australian way of life by creating "asian " suburbs.

The Chinese arrived after Tiananmen Square massacre, they too will never fit in, they are not Christian, they don't speak English blah blah!

These were followed by the Lebanese and their strange religion and mosques springing up in Lakemba and strangely enough in Cabramatta (the Vietnamese having integrated by then), and the same "they will never integrate" BS

Likewise the dog whistling about Somalian boy gangs in Melbourne, strange how that has all died down now.

It's all rubbish and when this Covid19 thing is over there will be a new lot of immigrants who won't fit in and won't want to learn English but a few years later your children or their children will be playing with them and staying at their house.

Multiculturalism is alive and well and works great, it just takes time for the new settlers to be assimilated but they all do and all the remarks about them look so silly in hindsight. They just need to be made welcome.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

10-06-2020, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Well,

I've had enough now.
This country must be the laughing stock of the world and it will only get worse with the pc pandering nonsense and balless leaders.

We have decided that we won't be retiring in the UK.

The wife is Slovak, we may go there or possibly Hungary.
Two countries who at least are proud of their culture / heritage and refuse to accept any cobblers from the EU / Islam, or economic migrants.

The Government have finally managed to beat out of me the last bit of patriotism I had left.
We do not want to be in this country any more. It won't happen for a few years yet, but we are off!!
I feel exactly the same fender! Unfortunately for me l will be unable
to leave these shores again due to my age, nobody would want me?
But uk is facing an ever increasing level of PC which are allready
destroying law and order due the authorities reluctance or inability
to enforce basic regulations in case doing so generates ctiticism
from the media etc
The media now have the power to change government policies??
Witness the U turn on schools reopening , reopening despite
evidence that children under7yrs of age have absolutely no history
of getting infected?
Anyway good luck to you where ever you end up!!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I feel exactly the same fender! Unfortunately for me l will be unable
to leave these shores again due to my age, nobody would want me?
But uk is facing an ever increasing level of PC which are allready
destroying law and order due the authorities reluctance or inability
to enforce basic regulations in case doing so generates ctiticism
from the media etc
The media now have the power to change government policies??
Witness the U turn on schools reopening , reopening despite
evidence that children under7yrs of age have absolutely no history
of getting infected?
Anyway good luck to you where ever you end up!!
Yes, I remember Fender's OP from over a year ago.

If anything, I agree with it even more now than I did then.

I had hoped that things might improve in this country but that has failed to happen, and it isn't all down to the coronavirus outbreak.

It's our society and our weak politicians and other in charge of the country at both a national and local level.

I'm too old to emigrate now, but given the chance, I think New Zealand might be one of the better places to go.
Perhaps, with the right sort of people taking their skills and abilities there, it might even become a new Britain in all but name.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 03:12 PM

Like you JBR I am probably too old to emigrate now, I just wish I had done so some 50 years' ago but other reasons, not mine I have to add, prevented this. Australia was to have been the chosen country under the '£9 pom scheme' I think it was called. Far more opportunities there that long ago and I guess even more nowadays. Also I now have more family in Australia than in the UK.

What made me think about that again, yesterday I think it was, when there was an interview with Jamelia, an English singer, songwriter and television presenter. It was about the protests against racism. At first she was saying what it's like in this country and she expressed fears for her (four?) children who are growing up with all this. She was very eloquent about explaining it as she saw it. The final comments she made was that there's so much wrong in this country to start with, before it even gets to racism – the NHS and hospitals, transport systems, schools, the roads and general infrastructure, the legal system etc., all run down by successive governments over the last 20 or 30 years. She believes all this needs to be fixed so that racism can be properly dealt with. I recall she mentioned her own experiences, with being regularly stopped by police, when driving her children to school on the school run, just to prove she owned the car she was driving. In the end she had to sell that car to stop that happening. Listening to someone like that does just show what is going on, from her own personal experiences of this too. Quite an eye-opener that was to watch and listen to all she said.

Page 25 of 28 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top