Join for free
Page 13 of 21 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 09:40 AM

Re: Climate Change.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps you could be a little more specific.

What specific steps could we take to make this, and other countries better?

I don't think the anarchists have managed to explain that yet, or if they have I haven't heard the details.
I would very much like to see rationing brought in for a number of things. Air travel for example, even a prohibition on transporting foodstuffs over say 200 miles from source to consumer. Then a cost to produce tax based on energy required - and increased taxes do adversely affect sales.

There's lots more simple steps that can and should be made and every step that I make to reduce my environmental footprint helps everyone and everything in especially the biosphere to some extent so the argument based on whataboutery just doesn't hold water.

Anyhoos - I'm going to drop out of these environment hero bashing threads. It's just a continued "yes they are --- no they're not" argument.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I would very much like to see rationing brought in for a number of things. Air travel for example, even a prohibition on transporting foodstuffs over say 200 miles from source to consumer. Then a cost to produce tax based on energy required - and increased taxes do adversely affect sales.

There's lots more simple steps that can and should be made and every step that I make to reduce my environmental footprint helps everyone and everything in especially the biosphere to some extent so the argument based on whataboutery just doesn't hold water.

Anyhoos - I'm going to drop out of these environment hero bashing threads. It's just a continued "yes they are --- no they're not" argument.
Thank you. Permit me to precis your suggestions.

- Rationing for 'a number of things' (unspecified).

- Air travel: you don't specify which/how many would be banned. The Royal Family?

- Transporting foodstuffs from source to consumer over 200 miles: I'm racking my brain to think which of the items I eat can be produced within a 200 mile radius of my home, and apart from eggs and milk products I can't think of much else. Curries would be right out.

Perhaps you're right; you should drop out of these 'environment hero bashing' threads.

Incidentally, I don't see the London hippies as anything like 'heroes'. Quite the opposite in fact.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 11:07 AM

- Transporting foodstuffs from source to consumer over 200 miles: I'm racking my brain to think which of the items I eat can be produced within a 200 mile radius of my home, and apart from eggs and milk products I can't think of much else. Curries would be right out.
I'm not sure what you eat, but you seem to suggest that you don't eat potatoes, wheat products, many types of fruit, many types of vegetables, animals, fish, etc.

Do you meander round supermarkets to ensure that all of your food is flown/shipped into the UK?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I'm not sure what you eat, but you seem to suggest that you don't eat potatoes, wheat products, many types of fruit, many types of vegetables, animals, fish, etc.

Do you meander round supermarkets to ensure that all of your food is flown/shipped into the UK?
Don't be silly. I thought you knew me and understood my love of sarcasm.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Don't be silly. I thought you knew me and understood my love of sarcasm.
How embarrassing for me .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
How embarrassing for me .
I should think so too. Is that an apology?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

08-10-2019, 01:22 PM

I should think so too. Is that an apology?
Of course. Unreserved.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 01:37 PM

- Transporting foodstuffs from source to consumer over 200 miles: I'm racking my brain to think which of the items I eat can be produced within a 200 mile radius of my home, and apart from eggs and milk products I can't think of much else.
Potatoes, carrots, peas, apples, strawberries, raspberries, cheeses, serial crops for a start......
Beef, pork, lamb if you're not a vegetarian...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-10-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by dextrous63 ->
of course. Unreserved.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Potatoes, carrots, peas, apples, strawberries, raspberries, cheeses, serial crops for a start......
Beef, pork, lamb if you're not a vegetarian...
But I don't like any of them.

Page 13 of 21 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top