Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 08:47 AM

How do you keep your wild bird seed dry.

When it rains,not just the seed,pellets,fat balls..etc.

I was finding a lot of my bird seed spoiling,because of the rain,so I invested in some feeders that keeps everything dry,plus I bought a weather shield,squirrel baffle,

They cost me a fortune £100..92pence the bill came to.

How about you,do you spend a small fortune on the wild birds?

What do you have in your garden,that interests the wildlife?..

How do you keep your bird food dry?

I have a pest off feeder as well..but darn expensive,weighing everything up..better to invest in those type of feeders.as they keep the food dry.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 09:13 AM

Re: How do you keep your wild bird seed dry.

I have just noticed that the feeders are turning a bit green where the rain has got inside them but there is no way of cleaning them out as they are glued together. Mind you, I think they were only cheap ones so probably best to just replace them. Lots of birds in the garden this morning eating the Meal worms I left out for them.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have just noticed that the feeders are turning a bit green where the rain has got inside them but there is no way of cleaning them out as they are glued together. Mind you, I think they were only cheap ones so probably best to just replace them. Lots of birds in the garden this morning eating the Meal worms I left out for them.

Yes,I noticed that on some of mine in the past,LD...mine were cheap ones from Wilko..I ended up binning them.

I invested in two pest off ones..they really are good,plus keep the food dry...you don't have to clean them quite so often either.

When you do clean them,they come apart really well,easy to clean.

I like to see different feeders in a garden....I also bought a patio feeding station...to go onto my decking.

I have a feeling I may regret that...all that mess to clean up!..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

05-10-2019, 10:30 AM

LD,do any of your wild birds have a favourite that they eat?

I put mealworms out,but they hardly touch them.

I find the the sunflower hearts are their favourite..they get through them so quickly.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 02:51 PM

I saw what looked like baby Blue tits in the garden this morning> I'm not sure if they are early or late?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

05-10-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I saw what looked like baby Blue tits in the garden this morning> I'm not sure if they are early or late?
Baby blue tits...are you sure?...mine hatched in April I believe.

I suppose they would still be babies..even though we are now into October .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Baby blue tits...are you sure?
Not 100% no, they were too fast for me, i had just got up and my eyes were still a bit blurry.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

05-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Just edited my post,LD...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Just edited my post,LD...
They did look small though. I'll try again tomorrow.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:28 PM

My feeders are the Pest Off ones and they have wee roof things that the rain slides off and the tubes are closed plastic. They cost a lot more than I wanted to pay but they were worth it as the wee birds get to eat in peace and the foods dry.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	61qSN8luvwL._SL1000_-3_600x.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	10822  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top