Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Tipping - Who gets the money when you tip?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45707539

At the moment, places like restaurants follow a voluntary code when it comes to tipping. But they don't have any legal obligation to pass on 100% of tips customers choose to give to workers.

The plans for a new law, announced in the Queen's Speech, would force employers to pass them on.

The government also wants businesses to be more open about how they divide up the money between their workers.

A lot of people in the UK rely on tips to boost their income - from hairdressers and hotel workers, to baristas and taxi drivers.

About 2.3 million people work in food or accommodation services, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The government estimates that the change in the law could help more than one million workers - a lot of them on the minimum wage.

Tipping is not automatically expected in the UK in the way it is in the US, for example (see below).

Employers are expected to pay the national minimum wage, but some waiting staff say that's not always enough to live on, so tipping is considered the polite thing to do in many places.
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/...20than%20wages.

In the USA, tipping is expected, in order to top up low wage levels, and tipping at 15% is a good starting point.

Check out any tipping guide, and you'll notice that rates vary by the type of service provided, by the region of the country and other factors. The Emily Post Institute provides these general recommendations: 15% to 20% for sit-down restaurant service, 10% for servers at buffets (for help with drink orders and plate removal) and $1 to $2 per drink for bartenders, or 15% to 20% of the bar tab.

Other examples include: valets ($2 to $5 to retrieve a vehicle), 15% to 20% for taxi drivers, hair stylists, manicurists and those doing massages, and at least a couple of dollars for pizza delivery. For skycaps and hotel bellhops, figure on $2 for the first bag and $1 for each additional one. Doormen could receive a dollar or two to carry luggage or hail cabs.

For hotel staff, the Emily Post Institute suggests $2 to $5 per night, with money left each day (since housekeeping crews change throughout the week) and a thank-you note for the staff.
Apparently, there's no tipping in China, except for tour guides.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Re: Tipping - Who gets the money when you tip?

Good grief - I would not dream of tipping half of that lot, Omah, and certainly not to the tune of 20%.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 04:52 PM

I hate tipping hairdressers because they charge so much already !
Usually I give then a pound.( grudgingly)
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

15-10-2019, 05:36 PM

I will tip, but only if I know that the staff concerned will get the tips.

I do tip my hairdresser - usually £5 - as she is excellent

I usually tip our postman at Christmas - we live in a very rural area and he has been the postie around here for a very long time.

I also usually tip cab drivers.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 06:00 PM

When I was an apprentice hairdresser,we got to keep our tips...we had a money box,with our names on it.

They still have tip boxes,in some cafe.only one hole,so I guess they share the tips.

Do I tip....sometimes....who gets it,I wouldn't know.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

15-10-2019, 06:06 PM

I think it is wrong that in some locations the tips get pooled and divided between all the staff, whatever their role.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 06:07 PM

We tip the post lady and the dustmen at Christmas .
I give it to them in a Christmas card .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I hate tipping hairdressers because they charge so much already !
Usually I give then a pound.( grudgingly)

I won't tip hairdresser either...not even a pound...they over charge,IMO.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 06:25 PM

I don't tip anyone especially my hairdresser, her prices are expensive. I need my hard earned money for myself thank you as there isn't much left after paying all the damn bills Mind you we did tip in America but only because the cheeky gits took their own 5 dollar gratuity out!

I do write, phone or email companies if someone gives me good service. I did just that when we returned from Spain in August, our rep was the best ever and deserved recognition.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

15-10-2019, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I won't tip hairdresser either...not even a pound...they over charge,IMO.
But unless your hairdresser is the owner of the salon, the prices aren't down to him/her are they?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top