Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Re: 'Bonkers' police drop the word Christmas from poster to avoid upsetting other faiths

Don't you think the Mail should, itself, stop being mealy mouthed (or PC, if you like to use that term, first coined by the Ku Klux Klan, apparently; isn't that nice?) and, if they want to have a good old go at muslim bashing (because, let's not kid ourselves, that's all they're doing) Just Do It? Write whatever they want to write - it's a free country after all. Hypothesise over the failings of multiculturalism, rant over injustices, ridicule the burhka - do what they want but do it openly.

I haven't read (won't read!) their poster-change article, so I cannot make any informed comment on it.

If you want to read up on the inglorious history of the Mail and it's owner Lord Rothermere (obviously one of us!) then google Mail, Rothermere, fascists, Moseley and catch up on its support of the British Union of Fascists, Oswald Moseley, Hitler et al. Their target then was the jews, not the muslims but hey - any minority in a storm, eh?

I am saddened by the way this thoroughly nasty alleged newspaper is making my country a nasty selfish one - greedy for itself and insensitive to the plight of others.

Edit Oh - and I almost forgot the wonderful human (not) article by Jan Moir almost immediately after the announcement of the death of Stephen Gately - to poor sod must have been hardly cold. Here's a blog from The Telegraph (hardly a bleeding heart leftie paper) about it and the reaction it caused. She later apologised, of course, but it's all so easy isn't it, to be snide behind newsprint? It's just a nasty, nasty, small-minded and cowardly publication. Yuk. (But I expect it keeps us all informed about the latest z list celebrities, so that's OK - bread and circuses etc)
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Re: 'Bonkers' police drop the word Christmas from poster to avoid upsetting other faiths

Completely agree with DM - the mail is a nasty piece of work. Why do you think so many people call it the dailyhate

Unfortunately not everyone is wised up to how much effect media has on people's thoughts and opinions - so newspapers and other media outlets have a fundamental influence in shaping society. It's sad but true. I just wish more people thought for themselves and questioned the true intention of the media. Most are nasty pieces of work.

Anyone interested in how the media operates might want to check out Flat Earth News by Nick Davies. Here's part of one of the reviews of it on Amazon:

Nick Davies must be a brave man... He has launched a devastating attack on not only the state of modern journalism, but also on the basic integrity of many of those involved in the profession. And this from a major paper journalist who must now have made a lot of enemies within his industry.

I'm sure you have noticed how very similar versions of the same stories are posted online by apparently independent and well funded news organisations - especially in America for news outside the US. This book explains why, and how the facts of these clone stories are often unchecked by the trusted organisations putting them into the public domain.

The book also covers the pernicious effects and influence of PR and also, perhaps most depressingly, the outright lying of major newspapers who are left barely challenged by the Press Complaints Commission and whom average people cannot afford to defend themselves against.
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2010, 04:41 PM

reading the above it is just a well I dont buy any papers..well, except Freedom..a Nationalist paper..
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 02:01 PM

dont touch tradition - with Christmas 'its what we believe in growing up '
we dont need this modern day drama telling us we cant have it said /or printed on what ever ' we dont tell Hinduism or islam how to celebrate -so leave well alone I say …………….
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Yes bring back the Winter Festival like we had before the Romans invaded.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yes bring back the Winter Festival like we had before the Romans invaded.
Yule be lucky if that were to happen.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 02:16 PM

Please note, this thread is nine years old.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top